IGNORED

star wars sit down cabinet.trench run

grafraith

Hi all...thinking about buying one of these...any advice on places to buy/pitfalls of ownership greatly appreciated.

I can only assume you mean the original cockpit style Star Wars arcade machine. All I can tell you is, Good Luck!

I (and many others) have been trying for years to get one that wouldn't break the bank. If you are lucky enough to find one, lets us know. :)

My friends in the arcade collecting scene and who go to auctions tell me that a sit down Star Wars in good working order has gone for AT LEAST $1000 for the last several years. In addition if it's in great shape, that price can double.

The stand up model is a bit cheaper, but around $700-800 seems normal for that.

Plus you got the problem with the vector monitors that all the old arcade machines have.

I'd love to have this game, as none of the home ports have done it justice due to that unique control yolk, but it's not going to happen.

Maybe someone someday will make a custom controller that you can plug in to your PC or MAME cabinet by USB to play this?

I have seen a number of them over the years….but they ain't cheap!

Biggest concern is the XY color vector monitor. They can be very touchy on the best of days, and require what I would consider to be "above average" arcade experience, when it comes to DIY maintenance. At very least, it is something to be cognizant of. Additionally, the "yoke" style controller is both rather unique and finicky when it comes to calibration. Finding parts for such a controller could be a royal pain in the ass.

• Like 1

My friends in the arcade collecting scene and who go to auctions tell me that a sit down Star Wars in good working order has gone for AT LEAST $1000 for the last several years. In addition if it's in great shape, that price can double.

The stand up model is a bit cheaper, but around $700-800 seems normal for that.

Truthfully, these days you're looking at around $3000 for the cockpit and $900-$1200 for the upright.

[edit] I should add that having the Ampliphone monitor will add a couple hundred to the price, as well.

Edited by racerx

Truthfully, these days you're looking at around $3000 for the cockpit and $900-$1200 for the upright.

YIKES

Personally, I think that game sucks the high hard one, and I can't believe anybody would pay that much for it.

I say this as a huge Star Wars fan who played the Atari arcade game a ton and loved it as a kid. To me, it's just one of those games that doesn't hold up. Dropping a quarter into one now is good for a 15 second nostalgia fix, then after that, I can't wait for the game to end so I can go play something fun.

• Like 1

YIKES

Personally, I think that game sucks the high hard one, and I can't believe anybody would pay that much for it.

I say this as a huge Star Wars fan who played the Atari arcade game a ton and loved it as a kid. To me, it's just one of those games that doesn't hold up. Dropping a quarter into one now is good for a 15 second nostalgia fix, then after that, I can't wait for the game to end so I can go play something fun.

:-o

http://youtu.be/znGBU5oODz8

• 3 weeks later...

As others have said, it is not an economical machine to purchase. The guts can be tricky to fix/replace, parts can be hard to find, and that's assuming you can even find a machine in half-decent condition. If you're not familiar with arcade cabs and electronics, it also means much of the work that may need to be done to it would have to be done by someone who is familiar with those machines. Not a beginner-friendly cab to be sure.

That being said, if you find one and you want to take on the challenge, take lots of pics and share them with us!

The guts can be tricky to fix/replace, parts can be hard to find, and that's assuming you can even find a machine in half-decent condition.

After thinking about this for a second, I just realized I've never seen a non-working cockpit Star Wars arcade for sale. Every time I've seen a sit down Star Wars for sale, it had already had work done to it, to maximize resale (basically, just enough to get it working). I would gladly buy a non functioning sit down Star Wars as long as it was complete (or damn near close to complete). With all the parts there it should be fixable assuming the monitor isn't totally toasted. I've just never seen a non functioning fixer/upper sit down Star Wars for sale.

How much do you guys think a non functioning sit down Star Wars cab would go for. Yes, I get it depends on what's wrong with the cabinet, but lets assume the cab looks rough from heavy use(but repairable) and monitor needs cap kit (and solder reflowed on connectors), the control yoke needs to be rebuilt and basically the cab needs a good scrub and paint. That seems to be the condition that I tend to buy, because they are much more affordable that way. I'm guessing even in that state about $500.00?

After thinking about this for a second, I just realized I've never seen a non-working cockpit Star Wars arcade for sale. Every time I've seen a sit down Star Wars for sale, it had already had work done to it, to maximize resale (basically, just enough to get it working). I would gladly buy a non functioning sit down Star Wars as long as it was complete (or damn near close to complete). With all the parts there it should be fixable assuming the monitor isn't totally toasted. I've just never seen a non functioning fixer/upper sit down Star Wars for sale.

How much do you guys think a non functioning sit down Star Wars cab would go for. Yes, I get it depends on what's wrong with the cabinet, but lets assume the cab looks rough from heavy use(but repairable) and monitor needs cap kit (and solder reflowed on connectors), the control yoke needs to be rebuilt and basically the cab needs a good scrub and paint. That seems to be the condition that I tend to buy, because they are much more affordable that way. I'm guessing even in that state about $500.00?

I haven't seen too many Star Wars cabs for sale at all, mostly because I don't look too closely. The few threads I've read around the internet about Star Wars cabs always seem to indicate the person needed to do work, although that could be because people are more likely to make a thread featuring a restore than just a straight-up working cab.

As for the worth of a Star Wars cab in the condition you describe, I still imagine that it would command at least $500, if not perhaps even more. They are definitely a sought-after cab.