IGNORED

How do I change my STe from PAL to NTSC ?

I didn't realise it was 'Doomy'; he has entertainined and annoyed the Atari and Amiga forums for years. He is barrie97124 on eBay, George Campbell http://home.comcast.net/~retrogeek/ , HansCampbell on YouTube, DoomMaster, Spenceranne, BoingHead, and TheAtariKing here (with an 8 year gap between his earliest and his recent posts). There are many amazing quotes about him on the Amiga boards if you Google some of his pseudonyms.

Damn. You know that dream when you're a kid and you're in school and you realize you're wearing only your underwear? TheAtariKing just had that dream.

to answer the original question, yes replacing the TOS with US version does work. I ordered a 1040STE from england, replaced the power supply and tos roms with US 2.06 (from the UK 1.6) and yes everything was in 60hz (except the games that were in 50hz) and couldnt be switched. But the desktop and everything will default to ntsc 60hz.

and i totally understand about the 50hz flicker, I can only play 50hz games for a short time before it starts giving me a headache.... now if someone could only make a proper scandoubler, then it wouldnt matter. :)

Thank you, this is all I wanted to know. I have spare Atari 1040ST power supplies and I will order a set of TOS 2.06 roms from TJ.

I didn't realise it was 'Doomy'; he has entertainined and annoyed the Atari and Amiga forums for years. He is barrie97124 on eBay, George Campbell http://home.comcast.net/~retrogeek/ , HansCampbell on YouTube, DoomMaster, Spenceranne, BoingHead, and TheAtariKing here (with an 8 year gap between his earliest and his recent posts). There are many amazing quotes about him on the Amiga boards if you Google some of his pseudonyms.

Sounds like you are stalking me, which is a crime in the United States. At least I am not a trouble maker like you. I do not sell on feebay anymore. I can if I want to, I just do not like eBay or PayPal. I sold on eBay for over 15 years and actually did very well. I made thousands of dollars selling vintage toys and vintage computer items. A few people were jealous of my success and popularity and started causing problems for me on eBay. These same people had spread lies about me. I have NEVER ripped anyone off or stolen from anyone. There is NO EVIDENCE to support any of these trouble makers claims. If I have ripped you off or stolen from you then provide the evidence or proof. If you can not, then STFU and stop spreading lies and untruths about me. I even created one of the best Amiga websites in the entire world, paid my own hard earned money to keep the site online for years. Did any of you ever thank me? No, you did not. So, I took it down. I had great plans for that web site too. I was going to add a lot more content to the website, and I was planning to buy the rights to Amiga and design and have built the new Amiga 5000. But, you trouble makers pissed me off, and I thought to myself "why bother, these people are too stupid to realize a great thing when they see it". When it comes to the Amiga and Atari ST, and computers in general, I am one of the best people that you could have in your forum. If you do not want me here, then fine. I will leave in peace and never come back.

Some of you forget that I worked in the electronics industry for over 25 years. I know how to have something built and then how to market that item. Unlike other people that talk crap and make up excuses as to why they can not produce another Amiga computer, I would have done it. I have personally met and worked with many of the pioneers of the computer industry. Also, it was I that first came up with the idea for a first person style game, and I can prove it. The idea was stolen from me before I could get it copyrighted or patented. So, believe it or not, I am the Father of FPS games. You trouble makers really messed up when you pissed me off. Now, there will never be another Amiga computer made.

• Like 2

Sounds like you are stalking me, which is a crime in the United States. At least I am not a trouble maker like you. I do not sell on feebay anymore. I can if I want to, I just do not like eBay or PayPal. I sold on eBay for over 15 years and actually did very well. I made thousands of dollars selling vintage toys and vintage computer items. A few people were jealous of my success and popularity and started causing problems for me on eBay. These same people had spread lies about me. I have NEVER ripped anyone off or stolen from anyone. There is NO EVIDENCE to support any of these trouble makers claims. If I have ripped you off or stolen from you then provide the evidence or proof. If you can not, then STFU and stop spreading lies and untruths about me. I even created one of the best Amiga websites in the entire world, paid my own hard earned money to keep the site online for years. Did any of you ever thank me? No, you did not. So, I took it down. I had great plans for that web site too. I was going to add a lot more content to the website, and I was planning to buy the rights to Amiga and design and have built the new Amiga 5000. But, you trouble makers pissed me off, and I thought to myself "why bother, these people are too stupid to realize a great thing when they see it". When it comes to the Amiga and Atari ST, and computers in general, I am one of the best people that you could have in your forum. If you do not want me here, then fine. I will leave in peace and never come back.

Well, the poster didn't accuse you of being a bad seller or ripping anyone off. Some friendly advice though: Looking back at some of your posts, I personally do not think you are a troll at all. You do however come across as arrogant and snark. I work with a guy like that, and he wonders why he always gets punched out in bars and stuff. Always blames the others, never once looks in the mirror. You do know a lot. Just tone it down a bit, and smile a little. We can't all be bad guys and you 100% right and innocent. :)

• Like 2

WTF did I just watch? And who is worse, the dude singing or me wasting two minutes of my life?

I just hope that was done out of jest, not out of love :)

the wasting of two minutes of your life....

I lost 10 minutes of mine last night reading through the web page CJ linked to in this thread...

I actually felt a sense of loss......

• Like 1

the wasting of two minutes of your life....

I lost 10 minutes of mine last night reading through the web page CJ linked to in this thread...

I actually felt a sense of loss......

It was in blue. The power of Wiki compelled you.

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 1

Sounds like you are stalking me, which is a crime in the United States. At least I am not a trouble maker like you.

Not stalking, simply did about 2 Google searches. Your email, phone number, and address have all been made publicly available on various forums, I could have linked to or copied and pasted those, but I didn't. Also I'm not in the U.S., so if I wanted to stalk you online (is that even possible?) I wouldn't be bound by its laws.

You literally are the biggest trouble maker in the history of Atari and Amiga forums, it is an honour to be considered a trouble maker by you.

I have personally met and worked with many of the pioneers of the computer industry.

I've seen your claims to have worked for Commodore, never seen any evidence though- please do enlighten us?

A few people were jealous of my success and popularity and started causing problems for me on eBay. These same people had spread lies about me. I have NEVER ripped anyone off or stolen from anyone. There is NO EVIDENCE to support any of these trouble makers claims. If I have ripped you off or stolen from you then provide the evidence or proof. If you can not, then STFU and stop spreading lies and untruths about me.

Well, the poster didn't accuse you of being a bad seller or ripping anyone off.

You are right Zap, I didn't mention those claims. I haven't personally had any business dealings, good or bad, with TheAtariKing/DoomMaster/Hans George Campbell, so I figured people could use Google and make up their own mind about his reputation. However since he brought it up, on one side we have the reports of being ripped off that have been made by many people with good online reputations, and on the other we have a guy who says and does bizarre things, and who has frequently made absurd or exaggerated claims. He would make his case sound a lot better if he didn't lie about other things. Case in point:

Also, it was I that first came up with the idea for a first person style game, and I can prove it. The idea was stolen from me before I could get it copyrighted or patented. So, believe it or not, I am the Father of FPS games.

The idea for an FPS was stolen from you, really? I'd love to see the proof that you have. That one might follow you around like you claims about having mil-spec 68030 CPUs or whatever.

You trouble makers really messed up when you pissed me off. Now, there will never be another Amiga computer made.

You are making this threat to a whole board of people who on the whole don't really care about the Amiga. Also nothing in your posting history suggests that you have the technical knowledge to build a 16-bit computer from scratch. You seem very exited to have put an Amiga into a tower case, which is simply a case of buying and connecting off-the-shelf-components. We'll have to put this one down as another one of your exaggerated claims until we see evidence to the contrary.

I do video production work (now with more modern equipment), so I can tell you that 60 Hz NTSC is much better than 50 Hz PAL.

A DoomMaster claim that can be verified, here's an example of his high video production values: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epBgHEFbrlg#t=0m52s

When it comes to the Amiga and Atari ST, and computers in general, I am one of the best people that you could have in your forum. If you do not want me here, then fine. I will leave in peace and never come back.

The evidence about the number of forums you have been banned from suggests otherwise. If you want to be accepted by these online communities; stop lying, stop exaggerating, and stop claiming to speak with authority that you don't have. Be polite and try to sound less arrogant and insulting.

Edited by galax
  • Like 1

Who's the guy in his avatar then? Before I clicked on his web page and that video, I thought that was a recent pic of him. I figured he was a few years older than me at best, maybe 43 or so. But then he posts a pic of him in a 'stach in 1982, when I was 9. So he is at least 11 years older than me, so 52+. The guy in the avatar also doesn't look anything him. Is it an actor from a movie I'm not familiar with?

Who's the guy in his avatar then? Before I clicked on his web page and that video, I thought that was a recent pic of him. I figured he was a few years older than me at best, maybe 43 or so. But then he posts a pic of him in a 'stach in 1982, when I was 9. So he is at least 11 years older than me, so 52+. The guy in the avatar also doesn't look anything him. Is it an actor from a movie I'm not familiar with?

The avatar looks like a younger version of the same guy to me. I think you are referring to this 'stach photo from his Atari ST "Division": http://home.comcast.net/~retrogeek/aboutme.htm

In 2005 he wrote "By the time I am finished with it, The Atari ST Division of RetroGeek Computers will be the number one Atari ST website in the world. It is already in the top 10." http://atariage.com/forums/topic/77031-mega-ste-keyboard-tips/

Looks like he is still offering his computer repair services, would be interesting to read some customer testimonials:

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cps/4733907141.html

Expert Computer Repair ONLY $50. Hello, my name is George. I have been working with all kinds of personal computers since 1979. When it comes to computers, many people consider me to be one of the best in the Portland/Beaverton area. Many of you will remember me from the good old days of Hacker Shack and Software Pipeline. I can repair and upgrade all personal computers, not just PCs and Macintosh computers. And I only charge $50. No matter what is wrong with your computer or how long it takes to repair it, you only pay $50. Now, if your computer needs parts, then you will have to pay for those parts. But, I can fix most computers without having to replace any parts.

Other so-called PC techs charge $50 to $80 per hour for their services. And some of my customers have informed me that places like BestBuy and CompUSA charge $200 to $300 just to look at your computer. They don't see how I can do such a marvelous job on their computers and charge a flat-rate fee of only $50. I tell them that those other guys are just greedy and that I am just trying to make an honest living.
I remember applying for a computer tech job one time at CompUSA. The guy asked me if I was A+ Certified. I said no, but, I can teach the A+ Certification classes. Well, I did not get the job. Oh well, their loss. I laugh at the so-called computer techs that the tech schools are spitting out today every 6 weeks to 8 monthes. I know more about computers then they will ever know. Afterall, I lived thru and was a big part of the golden age of computers and the famous computer wars of the 80s. I have actually owned, repaired, and upgraded every type of PC, Macintosh, Amiga, Atari, and Commodore computer ever made. And yet I am not Microsoft Certified. Big deal, who cares. Just as long as I can repair your computer for only $50 everyone is happy. Oh, BTW, beware of computer techs that fail to mention how much they charge. I am the cheapest in the area and those guys know it. That is why many of them will not state in their ad how much they charge for repairs, because it is usually a lot more then the the flat-rate fee of only $50 that I charge. I am the cheapest and the best in town, and I can prove it. Call Hans at show contact info Please, call in the afternoon or evening.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cps/4694068283.html

I repair Commodore Amiga computers

condition: new

I repair the Commodore Amiga computers. I can do the following:

Replace the capacitors.

Unsolder old IC sockets and replace with new ones.

Clean and refurbish Amiga disk drives.

Clean and refurbish Amiga computers.

Memory upgrades on Amiga 500 computers.

Upgrades.

Hacks.

SMT rework (providing I can get the parts).

Install Amiga 500, 600, or 1200 in pc tower case.

Amiga keyboard cleaning and restoration.

And much more....

I accept Pay Pal.

Time to complete the job is 1 to 4 weeks , depending on what is being done.

When responding to this ad please include your phone number so I can call you back.

I repair Amiga computers from around the world. I offer you the cheapest shipping rates possible.

Edited by galax

Well, this has gotten way off topic. Also, have you guys ever heard of the "snowball effect"? It is where one trouble maker tells a lie about someone to another person. Then that person tells the lie to another person, and before long everybody has heard the lie and believes it. Most people are more willing to believe a lie then to believe the truth. When I use to work for other people (now I work for myself), I would often observe people doing this. There is always at least one trouble maker in any group. The first week on any job I always looked for the trouble maker and would set up a defense against that person. On the internet it is harder to do this. But THINK about what kind of a petty person it takes to post the kind of information that has been posted just in this thread alone. Then imagine that same sick, petty person making these kinds of posts all over the web. I tracked down that trouble maker and had some people I know deal with him. Posting lies about people on the internet can get you killed ! It is the worst thing that you can ever do to a person.

Edited by TheAtariKing

PS: NOONE has ever provided any proof or evidence to back up their claims. I am a good person and people that know me will tell you that. They may also tell you that I am an asshole, and that I am a strange person. But, does this make me a bad person? No, it does not. I have been with the same woman for 16 years. Believe me, if I was a bad person she would have kicked me out long time ago.

Edited by TheAtariKing

Then imagine that same sick, petty person making these kinds of posts all over the web. I tracked down that trouble maker and had some people I know deal with him. Posting lies about people on the internet can get you killed ! It is the worst thing that you can ever do to a person.

Ignoring your pathetic attempt at sounding intimidating; there is no need to post lies about you. Simply quoting your own words and the things that others have to say about you is damning enough:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller&userid=retrogeek001&iid=-1&de=off&interval=0&items=200

http://www.toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=retrogeek001

Edited by galax

PMSL, Karma at work here - scroll down eBay feedback to reply from July 2, 2006:

Claim filed! He knowingly did not state that Amiga was PAL not NTSC. Avoid!

• Reply by retrogeek001 (Jul-02-06 18:10):
    NOT TRUE. He did not ask questions before bidding. Not my fault he assumed.

• Like 1

I have to say that in the past we've had otherwise good technical people banned due to inadvertantly getting into A vs C type conversations that blew out somewhat and it's been a sad event.

In this case though, nothing of the sort. Surprised he lasted here as long as he did, seems the attitude goes back a number of years, probably the low post frequency was what saved him for a time.

I'm always torn in these situations. If the actions are mean spirited and intentional then I am all for banning. However, often I think many posters are just delusional people. Not sure if there is a form of mental illness at play, or maybe just an odd desperation for attention. I wonder what the results are from alienating these types further. Regardless, highjacking entire forums is bad for all of us.

In this case, I don't know what to think. I suppose maybe both scenarios apply.

This guy has a history of being disruptive on other forums, and he was quick to start insulting users here in several of his posts the last few days. He has no place here. The eBay feedback also speaks volumes.

..Al

I wasn't disagreeing. I suppose I just always wonder what motivation drives fellows like this. The pattern is often the same, ask for help, receive advice, attack those who offer advice.

This particular fellow seemed to have that pattern down to an art. I get so confused about the root cause.

Banning him really is the only option open to this or any other forum. It just saddens me a little that maybe he and others like him might have some deeper issues and are compelled to act out in such an odd manner.