IGNORED

How often do you use your Classic Computer & for what?

Omega-TI

Classic Computer & Usage  

38 members have voted

1. 1. I use my Classic Computer at least...

• Once a day.
    • Two or three times a week.
    • At least once a week.
    • At least a few times a month.
    • At least once a month.
    • A few times a year.
    • At least once a year.
    • NEVER, it just sits on a shelf gathering dust.
    • OTHER - Explain in message area.
  2. 2. I use my Classic Computer for...

• Primarily games.
    • Pretty much everything.
    • Collecting dust.
    • A specialized task.
    • Other - Explain in message area.
  3. 3. The Computer Itself

• I've had it since it was new.
    • I bought a replacement for nostalgia.
    • Neither - I run Emulation.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

In the drawing room alcove I have one of my original 1-owner Apple II consoles set up for correspondence and journaling. Since this is all furnished in 19th century decor, the Apple II is the only electric stuff present and is easily hidden by a double-sided swing out bookcase. It connects to my //e located in the modern space bar via a real MicroModem connection though a localized self-contained POTS.

The main software I use is ProTerm 2.01, the same version and same floppy I used back in the BBS days. It has a simple word-processor and text editor. There are times, too, when I'll use A.E. or other transfer programs for nostalgic experience.

I currently have five types of Classic Computers, not including Classic PC/MS-DOS and Windows computers..

Apple ][, including a couple GS'

Commodore VIC-20/C64/SX-64/C128

Sinclair ZX81/TS1000

Tandy CoCo

and an Osborne 1

Some I got new, some I was the Second Owner, the CoCo3 I was the Second Owner, but it was still New in the Box, most were all very used...

On average, I use them at least once a week, some weeks, I turn on all of them... ;) Which reminds me, it's about time to boot the Osborn again.

This last week, I have two of the Apple ][e's on.. My Smoke Test ][e has a "new to me", Mockingboard in it. It sounds great!!!

Currently most of my Classic Computers are used to test Hardware, and see how it works. I have a AE RAMWORKS III with a Color Link VGA Card on it, I still haven't tested it to see how well it works.. I want to connect it to my SainSmart RGB to VGA Adapter and see how well it does compared to the Teknika MA-RGB7 Card.

MarkO

All I have is a C64, and that was mainly for the huge library and variety of 8-bit games that only it received (in the USA at least). I haven't gotten an Atari 8-bit because so many games have been converted to 5200, I just use that. Due to spacing, I cannot store or setup systems that use monitors. If I could, I would love to setup an Amiga.

• Like 2

I have an Apple II+, IBM PS/2 55SX, and C64 (Used to have a TI 99/4a but my father uses it with his stuff since it was his). I love to use them - they have been fun for a lot. I use them for a tad bit of everything. The Apple is used for programming, C64 for games and fun, and 55SX for work (I can still find uses for old Word/Excel and some of the other programs on it) I can't consider them new, but I got them from an uncle who had them since they were new. Gotta love the old computers.

• Like 1

Who has a drawing room? Is Colonel Mustard comming over later?

I have my "Ten-Forward" space touring chillout lounge. It's completely fair I let the wife build a Victorian drawing room for all sorts of artifacts she has collected and the hobbies she enjoys. It can be surprisingly inviting in the stillness of winter. And anything tech in it is a total contrast against the classical china and wood. When she isn't in her 80's funk it's her favorite place to be.

• Like 3

I had to get rid of most of my systems last year but I couldn't let go my beloved Vic 20 and my C64.

I have managed to keep other computers (C16, Speccy, Electron and ST) though they are in my cupboard (space issues) and I tend to emulate them.

I use my Vic and C64 on an almost daily basis but only for playing games. I long lost any programming know how and though I've always wanted to make music (especially on my Vic) I've never learned how... Makes me a little sad to 'say' that out loud!

Still, at least my main machines are used regularly. :)

Assuming my 90s Mac counts as a "classic" computer...

Word processing. Mostly my D&D campaigns. I've been doing this since before I bought the Mac as I used to run System 7 in an emulator on my Mac Mini.

I just like System 7's interface and I love Corel WordPerfect. Been using it since Junior High.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke IMO

I have my "Ten-Forward" space touring chillout lounge. It's completely fair I let the wife build a Victorian drawing room for all sorts of artifacts she has collected and the hobbies she enjoys. It can be surprisingly inviting in the stillness of winter. And anything tech in it is a total contrast against the classical china and wood. When she isn't in her 80's funk it's her favorite place to be.

Build a holodeck arch around that stuff.

Being somewhat of a ST fan.... I'd really, really, really like to see a picture or two!

I'll have to put something in the show us your collection subforum. But it only has a few trek cues like the front window beam-supports, the bar countertop and general color. With Orbiter and Space Engine running on the monitors built into the walls its very easy to pretend you're on a space voyage.

I have my "Ten-Forward" space touring chillout lounge.

Being somewhat of a ST fan.... I'd really, really, really like to see a picture or two!

How about pictures of both 10 Forward and the 19th century decor Room... ;)

MarkO

Edited by MarkO

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have any of my old Atari 8-bit computer hardware anymore - though I seriously need to have an old Atari 400 16k computer - plus a Maxcart? flashcart ROM, so that I can check out the graphics work I am doing for the AtariBLAST! project that's been in development now for 2 years.

I'm using a PC laptop to design the graphics with, and check it via Altirra (emulator) which all do an excellent job. I still need the original hardware to see exactly how it all looks - as I'm told the emulator still fails at 100% accuracy.

I seem to prefer working with 8-bit hardware and it's graphic limitations - than say for 16-bit systems (which I have done some stuff for Atari ST/ Amiga and SNES). I guess that the Atari 400/800 etc hardware has that allure to it - and if you check out the demos for AB! at Youtube - you can see that it is doing stuff not seen before on that hardware. Whereas if I was working on a 16 bit project - it won't be something new or different at all - and I certainly couldn't better anything done previously for those systems.

Harvey

Edited by kiwilove

• 2 weeks later...

I use it to look for jobs, find things that make me laugh, solve problems, keep in contact via email. I use Yahoo answers to learn and help others learn. I learn by doing research to answer someone's question and never forget what I've learned and in turn I provide the asker with the information they need. I check the weather and read the news. Watch music videos and download free movies. The great thing about computers is that they can and will do anything you ask without judgment. You can modify and tweak them to your hearts content (unless it's a mac.. I have to agree with the other person in that aspect LOL)

• 2 weeks later...

... but I do have a functional web browser on all my Amigas, so I can browse the web if I really want.

One of our Atari Age members just released his first version of a TI-99/4A web browser! Who would have ever thought it possible?

It's amazing what the software and hardware wizards have come up with for that system this year. In fact, the golden age of the TI was not 1981-83 or the later third-party years of 1984-89, it's NOW!

• Like 1