IGNORED

Skylanders Trap Team Info?

Shawn

Hey,

Anyone here buy the new Trap Team game? Can you tell me do you have to have a trapper figure and\or a trap to play the game? Could get just a new portal and use my old figures to try the game out even in a limited experience? I ask as I'm ok with a $20 portal off ebay but don't want to drop $75 or more on the whole kit if it's not gonna get played at my house as my son has been getting out of skyalnders but wants to give this a try.

Thanks

Shawn

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting a while before getting Trap Team. Recently got Disney Infinity 2.0.

With the previous Skylander games you didn't have to use the new figures to play the games but you couldn't unlock all areas without them. However might be different this time with the trapping thing being a big part of the game.

Nope.

After paying full price ($80) for the first 3 games, either on launch day or shortly after, only to see the same game for sale for about $35 less than a year later, my new strategy for these titles is to wait less than a year and than pick it up on the cheap. This is also around the time the figure are buy one get one free so it really makes getting into the game a lot easier and cheaper. There is no online aspect of this game, so getting the game early when it's popular and there are plenty of people online to hook up with doesn't even enter the equation.

Yup. I think Amazon just had the Swap Force starter kit for $18. The Xbox One version to boot.

Nope.

After paying full price ($80) for the first 3 games, either on launch day or shortly after, only to see the same game for sale for about $35 less than a year later, my new strategy for these titles is to wait less than a year and than pick it up on the cheap. This is also around the time the figure are buy one get one free so it really makes getting into the game a lot easier and cheaper. There is no online aspect of this game, so getting the game early when it's popular and there are plenty of people online to hook up with doesn't even enter the equation.

• 1 month later...

Ok well I snagged the latest Skylanders game Trap Team over the Black Friday for $37.

It came with one Trap Master and one Regular Trap Team figure as well as I believe two traps.

I will wait until the buy one get one Free deals start showing up before investing too much in this game. I believe this version requires gamers to spend the most $$$ if they want to experience everything the game has to offer. I liked Skylanders Giants. All that was required to experience the whole game was a Skylander from each element (which most fans already had from the first game) and a Giant figure. You could spend $49.99 on the portal owners pack and if you had your original Skylanders, you were good.

Then Swap Force came along. It forced you to buy a new portal, and if you wanted to see everything in the game, you needed Swap Force characters for each element, as well as ability (digging, climbing, boosting etc...) At $14.99 a pop to see everything and pay full retail was going to cost you. Someone broke it down to $260.

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=214898

I think Trap Team is even more.There is a new portal which means you'll need the starter set. You will need a Trap Master from each of the 8 elements. Plus there are two new unknown elements that are going to be Light and Dark. Again these figures are like $14.99-$16.99 depending on where you buy them. THEN you have to buy the lame ass traps at like $5.99 a piece, Again you will need 10 of these. Add in the two adventure packs at $25 a piece and you're looking at some serious cash. You will need a Giant to open certain chests. As far as using your original Skylanders or the Swapforce characters, you can use them, but they won't unlock anything special in the game, nor do the standard $9.99 Trap Team figures.

The game itself sticks close to the others in the series. Colorful settings and a serviceable plot. If you've played the other you'll know exactly what to expect. The trap team gimmick is pretty cool, you suck a defeated foe out of the game and into you little crystal, they talk to you every now and again from their prison. The novelty wears off pretty quick especially when they start repeating themselves, and the trapped characters don't even seem to speak up very much later on in the game (or maybe I just tune them out) the traps themself are pretty lame. Translucent plastic with a chip inside. They don't stand up on their own, so you can't really display them. they are small so easily misplaced and they are expensive for what they are.

Like the other games, there are little mini games scattered around and puzzles to unlock some chests. It's safe to say if your kids like the previous games they will like this one as well, but as far as just trying the game out on the cheap, I don't think these games are designed that way. You're better off staying a year behind and getting the previous installment when the packs and figures are at their cheapest.

• Like 1