IGNORED

Paid Search for Intv Games

First Spear

I have seen mentions of new/pending releases here on the AA forums, and that's about it. Since Independent and Homebrew publishers are taking money, I think it would be worth it to do a little Paid Search on Google and Bing so they can take a little bit more. :)

A simple Search Engine entry of the single keyword "Intellivision" should net something on the right-side of the screen from stuff by Elektronite or LTO or Beeslife. But right now it doesn't. It doesn't look like the Flashback is on any Paid Search radar either.

Pay-per-Click ads only cost the advertiser if a person actually clicks on an ad.

I want you guys to be successful because it hopefully means more games for all of us in the future. Why not spend a couple of hours setting up Adwords/Bing Ads?

Paid Search also tends to occupy anywhere from the top 10% to the top 30% of a smartphone web browser. I can imagine a scenario where 2 people are talking about video games, someone goes to Google on their phone and types "Boulderdash" and there is an ad that points to the Elektronite page for Boulderdash for Intellivision. You get the idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Revolutionikas website always ends up at the top of any intellivision searches i do. Also a good place to go if you dont want to scroll through a lot of threads

On a phone, for organic search, the most relevant page that the engine spider (in Google or Bing or Yahoo) finds and interprets as worthy gets to be #1.

On a phone, any Paid Search listing is extremely likely (depending on competition) to be #1 if a user types a particular keyword combination, regardless of how good/matching the organic engine crawler thinks a page is relevant.

Organic search is asking the engines to interpret what is relevant. Paid is a business telling the engines what is relevant for particular keywords.

Intellivision game publishers have somewhere around zero competition for keywords in their space, so the cost-per-click is extremely low. And they only have to pay if someone clicks on an ad that lands on their page, if Google for example just shows the ad and a person scrolls past it, the game publisher does not pay a cent.

I could imagine LTO creating a simple ad for the next version of Christmas Carol, and applying terms to it like "christmas carol game" and "intellivison game" and "classic christmas carol", etc. The cost per click on that stuff is probably in the fractions of a penny, and even if they get one sale from the advertising, it more than makes up for the cost of the ad.

On the desktop you see Paid Search stuff at the top or on the side of a browser window, but with the limited screen real estate of a smartphone the ads "must" appear somewhere, and that is usually at the top of the phone screen. It seems like a clear way to get our favorite publishers some more money with little effort and miniscule investment and the ROI looks nice.

Revolutionikas website always ends up at the top of any intellivision searches i do. Also a good place to go if you dont want to scroll through a lot of threads

Haha. I even spam Google!

I have my site set up where any blog entry has key word tags and auto submitted to search engines. Same way for individual pages, i assign keywords to any certain page. I have found my own site in searches alot too. Im getting tired of it! LOL

• Like 1

Actually for me its a little annoying sometimes cause im looking for rom variants and homebrew info trying to learn the history of when the games released, who made them, etc, etc and his awesome cute marvelous site ends up popping up everytime :ponder: :D

Corrected for you :)

• Like 1

Haha. I even spam Google!

I have my site set up where any blog entry has key word tags and auto submitted to search engines. Same way for individual pages, i assign keywords to any certain page. I have found my own site in searches alot too. Im getting tired of it! LOL

It appears that your site does well with organic search. How do you auto submit keywords to search engines?

It appears that your site does well with organic search. How do you auto submit keywords to search engines?

Its the news blog that does that. It has key search words i assign to every news blog.....and for a particular web page, i enter key words or meta tags for each one.

Its the news blog that does that. It has key search words i assign to every news blog.....and for a particular web page, i enter key words or meta tags for each one.

Oh, OK. You are not submitting to Google, your software is smart enough to structure things so Google can crawl your site well, and you have a domain that's old enough that it qualifies as "authoritative" on Inty subject matter. That is strong SEO.

That is not the same as doing Paid Search, aka SEM. SEM is about actually telling a Google and Bing that you want an ad to show that goes to a particular page when a user types certain keywords. For very little effort and probably a few dollars a month you could expect to sell a few more carts than you are now, because you'd be targeting a segment of people searching for things.