IGNORED

Wishing for a new Intellivision Game - Pooyan

First Spear

I can guess that the licensing for this might be expensive. But - it would be the sleeper hit of 2015. This is a super fun game that might fit well into the Intellivision's hardware strengths/weaknesses. I think (I think I think) that several moving things in the game could be assigned to background cards to give room for MOBs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ByIl9QQmeM#t=25

post-31694-0-74736800-1413988833_thumb.jpg

post-31694-0-59837100-1413988885_thumb.jpg

post-31694-0-77687500-1413989093_thumb.jpg

For reference, here's the original arcade screen. I think it has too many moving objects to be reproduced without significant reduction in detail. At that point, it may not even be recognizable as Pooyan.

post-27318-0-11557000-1413997148_thumb.png <-- Click to enlarge

People love to tear it apart, but I've always liked the 2600 version and it's highly recognizable. No mistaking that it's not Pooyan, so am sure the Intellivision could handle a decent conversion.

well, this is valid as general comment: often people says that hw is not good for porting some titles, but you see star wars, gyruss, tempest etc. on vcs2600 (not that they are good all the times, but the gameplay is there)

Edited by vprette

well, this is valid as general comment: often people says that hw is not good for porting some titles, but you see star wars, gyruss, tempest etc. on vcs2600 (not that they are good all the times, but the gameplay is there)

The difference is that in the 1980s, when I was 9 or 10, it was so expensive to play arcade games (not to mention that the arcade was much too far away to be visited daily), that having the opportunity to play one of them at home was like a dream.

It didn't matter too much that the graphics or game-play were inferior, as long as it was at least recognizable.

Nowadays, there is really no need to make a crappy inferior port for the sake of making it. If I want to play Pooyan or Gyrus, for example, I'll just fire up MAME, or play on one of the other emulated consoles with a good port of the game.

I rather the programmer spend his effort in making a unique game, even if it is inspired by the original, than making a port that sorta-kinda looks and plays like the original, but has too many compromises in order to fit within the limitations of the Intellivision.

I say, play to the strengths of the console, not to the brand of the games.

Anyway, that's my opinion. :)

dZ.

• Like 2