IGNORED

Co-op multiplayer games

davidbrit2

Just wondering what other cooperative games there are for the 2600, and if I've overlooked anything good. I can only think of a few off the top of my head, and while many of them feature players competing against a common enemy rather than directly against one another, there's usually still an element of competing against each other for the higher score. I suppose the cooperative play style just wasn't as mature at that point.

Dark Chambers

Worm War I

Joust (Unless you want to play adversarially)

Mario Bros (Ditto)

G.I. Joe (Features both cooperative and competitive play modes)

Space Invaders

• Like 1

I had a list going a while back of all the multiplayer games with simultaneous play. Off the top of my head I can see a few that haven't been mentioned, like Atlantis, Breakout/Super Breakout, Double Dragon, Entombed, and Rampage.

I can't think of any games where players alternate turns and collaborate. Do players really help each other in Dark Chambers, or do they just pursue their interests in parallel?

• Like 1

I can't think of any games where players alternate turns and collaborate. Do players really help each other in Dark Chambers, or do they just pursue their interests in parallel?

Well, their interests involve killing monsters and reaching the next level, so much like Gauntlet, you can definitely help each other to those ends.

And I can't think of anything with turn-based cooperative play either. You'd probably only see that in something like a strategy game or board game, and I don't think the 2600 has a lot of those. Does Bridge let you play with a partner?

Well, their interests involve killing monsters and reaching the next level, so much like Gauntlet, you can definitely help each other to those ends.

And I can't think of anything with turn-based cooperative play either. You'd probably only see that in something like a strategy game or board game, and I don't think the 2600 has a lot of those. Does Bridge let you play with a partner?

Whoa, I didn't realize Dark Chambers allowed 2P simultaneous, simply because I've hardly played it and it wasn't on my list! I've updated the list and added it, as well as Gorfy's suggestion of Demon Attack.

Bridge is 1P only, I believe.

• 8 years later...
On 10/22/2014 at 8:49 PM, davidbrit2 said:

@davidbrit2 Not sure, but maybe the homebrew Euchre by Erik Eid might have 2 teams of 2 players.  

On 10/22/2014 at 8:49 PM, davidbrit2 said:

@davidbrit2 Dark Chambers Guantlet hack cooperative to stay alive as another commenter was saying.  

I like to turn single player games into a cooperative, two player effort.  Simply pass the joystick back and forth between yourself and your friend as you both play on the same team versus the computer opponent (or just to get the best score).  It's fun!  Works for turn-based games such as Bowling, Golf, Miniature Golf, Yahtzee, Poker Squares, Othello, Checkers, 3D Tic Tac Toe, Jammed, Hangman, the skeet shoot event in Summer Games, Trick Shot (1 player pool vs. computer).  (Those games where you don't die if you let go of the joystick.  So you can stop and pass the joystick to the other player when your turn is done.)  

Edited by Living Room Arcade