IGNORED

Atari 8-Bit - Which GUI?

Smack2k

Hey... the GUI is already capable of practical, real-world application:

attachicon.gifRay Manager.png

Check out that accurate thread profiling! :D

I admit that is a big achievement for 5 years of work, a constantly evolving task manager, but wait there are no tasks to manage.. lol

I don't know what would you do if I resigned from Atariage, your life would be one boring coding session with no fun in between. :-D

Edited by atari8warez

If I am, that's because I am up against cyberbullies, who's definition include but not limited to: " Behaviors may include encouraging others to harass the victim and trying to affect a victim's online participation (i.e. banning him from certain topics on a forum because he's not in agreement with forum gods!!). Many cyberstalkers try to damage the reputation of their victim and turn other people against them (some examples of it can be found a few messages back in this thread signed by Kogden and FJC).". Nice squirrel by the way...

Edited by atari8warez

Please describe a setup for me, where Visual Studio would benefit from a touch interface?

I don't know about Visual Studio, but there is TouchDevelop already, and that's just a start, a revolution doesn't come in a few days, sometimes it takes years (given that it takes more than 5 years to develop for 30 years old obsolete technology, it is hardly surprising). More about how to have fun with TouchDevelop here. Before you jump in claiming these are all toys remember that I am not talking about today, it is the future that is promising, touch technology is still in its infancy, just try to be imaginative for a change.

And talk about derailing a thread's topic (thanks to a guy who claims he's finished with Atari and Atariage), it was supposed to be "Atari 8-Bit - Which GUI?"

When the same child ends up in an arguement in just about every class, every recess, every bus ride, and with different people... it is less likely he is being bullied but rather is the bully himself.... Since most of us do not really know each other and come from disparate backgrounds and locations but we all look at one person being a problem... it comes to reason that the problem is with that person and no one else... Please don't make legal threats, you're out of your depth here.

• Like 7

If I am, that's because I am up against cyberbullies, who's definition include but not limited to: " Behaviors may include encouraging others to harass the victim and trying to affect a victim's online participation (i.e. banning him from certain topics on a forum because he's not in agreement with forum gods!!). Many cyberstalkers try to damage the reputation of their victim and turn other people against them (some examples of it can be found a few messages back in this thread signed by Kogden and FJC).". Nice squirrel by the way...

><((((*>

• Like 3

When the same child ends up in an arguement in just about every class, every recess, every bus ride, and with different people... it is less likely he is being bullied but rather is the bully himself.... Since most of us do not really know each other and come from disparate backgrounds and locations but we all look at one person being a problem... it comes to reason that the problem is with that person and no one else... Please don't make legal threats, you're out of your depth here.

Doctor, where are the legal threats, do i miss something or are you just hallucinating. There are only two threads here at AA that I really participated for a while. One is the GUI, the other one is the Windows 8 hater's thread (I don't count AspeQt). In both cases die hard lovers (GUI) and die hard haters (Windows 8 ) didn't agree with me (and that's fine) and tried to shut me down by various measures some of which include bullying, banning me from the thread, trying to smear my character etc (that's definitely not fine)... none of that worked (as far as I am concerned) but I refuse to simply shut-up and go and that's my character, when I feel that I have the right to express whatever I think right and somebody tries to shut me down, i wont go without a fight. So, as long as they are at my tail on every occasion you can bet your .... that I will be here to confront them.

For the rest of the people here whether be developers or just users I have nothing but great respect. To name a few Hiassoft, Phareon, Jac, Drac030, Lotharek, Classics, Simius, Candle, Metalguy, ProWizard and many other that i have no means of listing here individually. That does not mean that I may have (or had) disagreements with them from time to time but they never turned into disrespect or mudslinging. So it is always a handful of people who have an issue with me (you've gotta wonder why as you seem to be a psychology expert) and that really doesn't bother me as I know there are a great many who don't.

So if you choose to be one of the former I have no problem with that either, so long ;)

Edited by atari8warez

There's a solution for that, too: stop being a slob! Or, just use a keyboard skin, or a decent keyboard like the Model M that was designed to be taken apart and cleaned.

It was a figure of speech ;-), it may be surprising to you but I don't eat or drink around my computers, keyboards still collect dust and dirt though (from one's fingers and from air) no matter what you do, and my keyboards even though they are not the top of the line, they are cleanable, i just wished i didn't have to.

By the way, that keyboard skin... doesn't it kill the "tactile feedback" you are so fond of? people think so...

Edited by atari8warez

It was a figure of speech ;-), it may be surprising to you but I don't eat or drink around my computers, keyboards still collect dust and dirt though (from one's fingers and from air) no matter what you do, and my keyboards even though they are not the top of the line, they are cleanable, i just wished i didn't have to.

By the way, that keyboard skin... doesn't it kill the "tactile feedback" you are so fond of? people think so...

I'll agree with this - I am no slob, and actually quite crazy about how I treat my electronic gear. I have a nice backlit mechanical keyboard, and it's not fun to keep this thing clean. Between the fine dust showing up over every black surface, to every bit of gunk being light up by tons of white LEDs, it's tough to keep this clean. I definitely don't advise wrapping anything in a skin, you can't feel anything :) I just make sure I only use clean equipment.

P.S.

a8 - this squirrel sits on my neighbor's roof and watches me code sometimes.

I totally agree with that statement, never did, never will.... LOL

So he's going to be a 6502 expert soon or is he attracted to Windoze? :)

He only gets to watch me shout and swear during the day job, so he'll just be a boring windoze guy. Many years ago, my grandma had several of the squirrels here tame enough to come up to the kitchen window for a treat. My dogs don't allow that, so I only get to watch them from a distance now.

You think that's pretty then watch the following, maybe this one is the reason why the above did not become a reality (if it indeed didn't), you no longer need a a real keyboard to type, you can do it on a tabletop ;). If this is not innovation, I don't know what is ($159 at Amazon, in Canadian funds)

I remember using one of these keyboards over 6 years ago. Boy what a flashback. Are they still making these...

I do not consider Windows XP to be boring in any way. Maybe Win8 could be called Windoze, but certainly not XP. Look at all the different themes that may be applied, changing the appearance of the Start button, start menu, and all the dialog box controls. Min, Max, Close buttons may all be customized.

I don't see any of that of that on 7, and especially not 8.

I love the true Windows eXPerience, that's why I will use XP until the day I die.

If any disagrees, they can suck it.

The 7...

- is only another one attempt to fill us with some of marketing ideas... I don't touch file-systems (etc.)

(I'm working with IBM AIX and I know what it can be and what can NOT)

they all are on market at all!)

We all knows that NO-ONE who never touched ATARI (etc.) knows NOTHING about Computers...

Really I even can't understand how they can write SOMETHING working!

Simply they read THE LIST of library functions. Then they write the dancing of all further.

Yes !!! Encapsulating of process may be successful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not so long, anyway !!!

Only in stage of simplifying of words...

I investigate LISP.

And I see that Genial McCarthy found only one thing... !

ALL THAT CAN BEING EXPRESSED LITERALLY can be expressed automatically !

No LESS! No MORE!

All LISP only reduces clauses to 8 or 9 primitives.

Are we all so simple?

We all write our letters without ANY WAY of it's IDENTICAL MEANING of our recipients !!!

While it's in neutral area it's out of interest! And being in conflict area...

It's flying into our brain !!! The brain itself can do ANYTHING with us!

It works in some rules:

1. IF you know DO_IT!!!, BUT FASTER!

2, IF you don't...

(Are you write letters promptly or frequently?)

Our brain is OUT OF MATTER!

Do you see this silly parentheses!

I'm old comp's lover and I'm can't say that THE ALL MY LIFE - is COMPS, but I feel this!

Sorry.

Person A sees a nice pool of mud at the side of the road and decides to play in it.

Person B comes along and thinks "Ooh that looks fun" and jumps in too.

Persons A or B (note I am not stating who) then say something to the other like "Isn't it a nice day?".

The other thinks "Nah, I don't like their tone".

The other then reacts by throwing some mud at the person commenting on the nice day.

Person C comes along and doesn't know Person A or Person B but sees them throwing mud. Person C knows nothing about the previous conversation. Person C jumps in and throws some mud. Persons A or B then throw it back at Person C.

Persons D, E, F, G and H also come along and has seen 'A' throwing at 'B' and then decide that 'A' is doing wrong. D, E, F, G and H then jump in.

I am person 'I' and don't want to be D, E, F, G or H (or even A, B or C). I don't care what has happened in the past, lets clear the slate, everyone be nice, there's a nice swimming pool on the other side of the road. Lets go for a leisurely swim.

--

There's too much to read over too many threads, lets just play nice and we can all be happy.

• Like 3

Well, maybe they does, and maybe they doesn't. :D It all depends on what market you're talking about. When it comes to phones, they're still barely a blip on the radar compared to Android and iOS.

Since you posted that, Windows Phone has shrunk to 2.8% since, despite Microsoft making the OS FREE to smartphone developers! That's a pig that's hard to put lipstick on, eh? :)

edit: forgot URL:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2855039/windows-phone-os/windows-phone-heading-back-to-deaths-door.html

I am simply stating the facts. And it is a fact that the GUI thread is now longer than any other in AA and been going on since 2009 (isn't that a fact?)

That probably is a fact, and it's probably a fact that the reason is because it's a hot topic because A8 users are keenly interested. Another fact is that you're banned from the thread. I hope you're not still sore you can't troll there, eh?

, and FJC hasen't delivered a product yet (isn't that a fact also?)

Yup, that's a fact. No product yet. Damnit, I want my money back from FJC. Wait a minute, he never asked me for payment, never collected payment, and never promised a delivery date for this labor of love. Drat! No refund! I actually haven't used much of FJC's software (played with the Last Word a little and appreciated it) but if I ever get my Ultimate 1MB(s) installed or use some of the other stuff that he's done (that I heard about on the Atari podcast), I'll enjoy the fact that it's free and will consider kicking a few dollars to him for his fine effort.

• Like 2

So let's compare them here and put the $ facts together:

A8W device AtariMax Device

Hardware $55 $59.95

Software Free 49.99

Software Upgrades Free ??.?? x ?

Total $55 $109.90 + ??

I *knew* there'd be some crapping on Atarimax stuff from ya, but I've been too busy (until the end of this week) to stumble upon it. Software for Atarimax is free for the "trial" copy which still does most of what you want. After about 2 years, I bought the "registered" version of Atarimax's APE because I felt it was worth it, and I don't regret it. Upgrades are not "??.?? x ?" - but FREE. I don't mind paying for great software, which it is. At least he has the talent to create his *OWN* software from scratch, and market it has he pleases, giving the "trial" (free) version most of the functionality you'd need to have fun, rather than glom on to *someone else's* already-developed open source (well, it was) software and remove features that from it in an attempt to penalize the talented competition. What a vast difference in talent, and more importantly tact and class. :)

I don't see anybody complaining about Atarimax selling overpriced serial to USB converters. That's because the problem isn't the price, the problem is just perception among some people.

I don't see anybody complaining about Atarimax selling overpriced serial to USB converters because I don't see anybody who thinks that way. There is no problem, other than envy.

• Like 4