IGNORED

A question about the SNES/Super Fami controller that has always confused me

Zap!

Around 1989, a little after rumors of the Super Famicom first started coming out, it leaked that there would be four main buttons on the controller. Back then, nearly everyone assumed it would be A,B, C, and D. When the controller was finally confirmed, the two new buttons were instead X and Y.

Now, I kinda get why they didn't do C and D, because the original NES has its letters backwards (B first then A, which always irked me, but I'll save that for another thread). It might be confusing to do B and A on the bottom, and then D and C on top. Or maybe they just wanted to use early and late letters. Fine, I get that. But why in the world would they not call the top buttons Y and Z (or Z and Y, since they are backwards)? The first two letters and last two letters would be entirely understandable, but next-to-last two buttons? What was the reasoning?

My guess is that L and R were once C and Z.

But if there were originally supposed to be only two main buttons, wouldn't the top buttons (now L and R) be C and D? They are too similar to have the radically different letter in Z.