IGNORED

Looking for MAC/65 Disk Version with BUG/65

ballyalley

I'm going through the book "Atari Roots." It uses the MAC/65 assembler with the BUG/65 debugger rather than the DDT debugger. MAC/65 1.01 and 1.02 on cart (which I'm using) don't come with BUG/65. So, now I'm looking for the disk version of MAC/65 that comes with the BUG/65 debugger. This is the version that was released before the cart version (which uses DDT). I see that MAC/65 4.2 is available as shareware and can be found quite easily. However, it doesn' include BUG/65 (I guess because it was outdated in 1994 when version 4.2 was released).

Can anyone help me track down MAC/65 with BUG/65?

(It would also be very helpful to have the BUG/65 manual, if it's available.)

Here's an ATR [of MAC/65 4.2 with BUG/65 2.0 on a DOS XL disk.]

Thanks! That was a quick reply!

I've tried it already and it works fine and will suit my needs. Everything I've tried from "Atari Roots" works well, but I can't figure-out how to exit BUG/65.

There are so many versions of OSS manuals floating around for MAC/65, but I can't even find one that's for BUG/65.

I'm going through the book "Atari Roots." It uses the MAC/65 assembler with the BUG/65 debugger

I've now used MAC/65 1.02 (the cartridge version) with DDT. It's no wonder BUG/65 is not used anymore. The DDT debugger is so much better. There is one hiccup with this version of MAC/65 (that MAC/65 4.2, on disk, didn't seem to have). This MAC/65 1.02 uses part of the normally free Page 6 memory ($0580-$067F). This means that many of the example programs in "Atari Roots" need another place to run. I just chose $3400.

To exit BUG/65, type "Q". This performs a cold-start.

That's a pretty brutal way to exit the program. I figured that there was a way back to the DOS XL prompt a bit more gracefully. The best the programmers could come up with was a cold start? I guess you can't go wrong with a cold start-- there isn't any program that won't exit that way.

I have a very faded bug 65 manual. Not sure scanning will show much . OCR may be impossible on it.

Unless the manual is so faded that you can't read it, then you should be able to scan it okay. If you save it as PNG or TIFF (anything that's not lossy format, i.e. jpg) then you (or someone-- even me) should be able to make it more readable... by a human. Making it readable by OCR is a whole other story. Getting it available would be really great, as I never did find the manual online.

How long is the BUG/65 manual?

• Like 1

My home rolled one is 30 pages double sided except for the last page. I'll have a look around on another machine where I might have it as an ascii file and post that if I can find it. My Atari is down right now, but I might scare up something to limp along enough to get it off the Black Box and post it here. BUT it's home rolled typed in by yours truly and NOT the real thing at all. I do remember the MAC/65 manual handed me back in the early 90s was just loose copied pages, but I can't remember a thing about the Bug/65 manual or typing it in. If I can find it also, I'll post a zipped ATR of the OS/+A disk with Mac and Bug on it too. Brutal return to DOS needed as Bug takes over DOSINI and DOSVEC to firmly entrench itself to resist giving up total control to user's code under testing, just in case a Break wasn't placed right.

What I was always curious about is what happened to McStuff Company? Title page says it's theirs and was originally developed as McBug.

I've now used MAC/65 1.02 (the cartridge version) with DDT. It's no wonder BUG/65 is not used anymore. The DDT debugger is so much better. There is one hiccup with this version of MAC/65 (that MAC/65 4.2, on disk, didn't seem to have). This MAC/65 1.02 uses part of the normally free Page 6 memory ($0580-$067F). This means that many of the example programs in "Atari Roots" need another place to run.

That's a known limitation of all versions of Mac/65 I'm aware of. The manual clearly states that, but provides alternatives, e.g. assembling to disk, or assembling to another location and using an offset, then use the debugger to move it in place. Anyhow, page 6 is less necessary if you don't want to interact with basic, and if you do, you probably want to assemble to disk anyhow. I myself rarely run into this limit.

[Here are all the pages of the BUG/65 manual, uploaded in ten parts]

Thank you for your effort to find and scan the manual-- I appreciate it!

I looked through all these BUG/65 scans. The manual longer than the number of pages scanned lets on. Also, while the source material is dim, it's not nearly as bad as I expected. In fact, it's quite readable. I doubt that it is usable as OCR material though. For me, that makes no difference-- as I just want to read it.

Here is some information about the scans:

The BUG/65 manual is 45 pages long, plus the cover page, a preface and two table of contents pages (49 pages totoal). The program and manual are copyright 1982 by McStuff Company and Optimized System Software. The Revision on the front page of the manual says 1.1, but I'm not sure if that refers to the version of BUG/65, or just the version of the manual.

Most of the scanned pages have two full-sized pages that have been reduced to fit on one sheet of paper. I noticed that scans 21 and 22 are both scans of pages 34 and 35. Maybe the original photocopied pages of those pages was done twice, as the scans seem a bit different, but the contents of the pages seem identical.

For my own sanity of looking though the many TIFF scans, I went ahead and cleaned-up the scans-- just a bit. The source material seems too dim to darken to make it more readable (at least with my skill-set). I combined two half-page scans onto one page, plus the cover page has a page of its own. Then I created a 25-page pdf document using Acrobat 7 set to no-compression using the JPEG2000 format. This resulted in a 57.5MB file-- quite large, but it preserved what quality was in the original scans. The BUG/65 manual has been uploaded a temp area of one of my websites. I'll leave it there for at least a few days, but eventually it will come down. My website isn't really fast, so don't expect the download to occur too quickly. It probably would be best to save this as a local copy before trying to view it.

The BUG/65 manual can be downloaded here:

http://www.orphanedgames.com/temp/BUG-65%201.1%20(1982)(McStuff%20Co%20-%20OSS)%5BManual%5D.pdf

I'd like to see this manual hosted on AtariManual.com, as that is where others would probably look for it in the future.

Thanks for the manual scan. It will prove very helpful to me.

• Like 1

The last pages..

Will be interesting to see if anyone can ocr it.

James

Maybe this might be better.

http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-400-800-xl-xe-bug-65_19208.html

Manual scanned and OCRed. Another big thanks to Bob1200XL for letting be borrow his perfect copy and sending it across the U.S. so that I can scan it. Funny thing is that it took less than hour to do the whole thing.

Allan

Bug_65.pdf

• Like 4