IGNORED

UNLZH?

Larry

I have this file and recently had to dig it out to "melt" some LZH archives. Here is a screen shot showing Bob Puff wrote this and in the same "shell" as SUPER ARC, etc. It says version .1. Anyone familiar with the history of this one? Did Bob write it? Were there any later versions? (Although this one seems to work fine.)

-Larry

post-8008-0-70265800-1414844006_thumb.jpg

Here you can find SuperUnLHArc v0.1a (v0.1 modified by Jager/Dial and done with reverse engineering) with ability of extracting files from .ATR and .ACE (Atari Console Emulator - a very early version of Atari 8-bit emulator for classic Amigas) disk images:

http://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=F.+Archiwizowanie+i+kompresowanie&tg=SuperUnLHArc+(Un-ATR)#SuperUnLHArc_(Un-ATR)

Edited by voy

Here you can find SuperUnLHArc v0.1a (v0.1 modified by Jager/Dial and done with reverse engineering) with ability of extracting files from .ATR and .ACE (Atari Console Emulator - a very early version of Atari 8-bit emulator for classic Amigas) disk images:

http://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=F.+Archiwizowanie+i+kompresowanie&tg=SuperUnLHArc+(Un-ATR)#SuperUnLHArc_(Un-ATR)

Thanks for the link. I see that there are several versions there.

-Larry

Errmm,

regarding those atarionline.pl variants of Un-LZH version 0.1 (not the Un-ATR/Un-ACE 0.1a version)...

- version 1 seems to be the original version

- version 2 was downloaded/transfered with a modem or something similar, thus hundreds of redundant segments are there (all of them have start+end-adresses $1A1A-1A1A); remove these redundant segments and you have version 1 again... didn`t Bobterm add such redundant segments ?!?

- version 3 contains an additional page 1 segment, don`t know what this is doing, it is not initialized, so maybe it has no effect at all

- version 4 is the same as version 1, but packed with Bewesoft`s Superpacker (I could use ten other packers and therefore add ten more versions or I could use one packer and pack the program with dozens of different buffer/depack adresses to create more variants)...

Thus, version 0.1 (version/variant 1) and version 0.1a would be enough here.

Last not least, Un-LZH 1.0 can be found at pigwa.net in the Holmes archive (it is a shortened ATR image, created with MakeATR by Ken Siders, use UnMakATR by Ken Siders to get the XEX file again)...

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

Last not least, Un-LZH 1.0 can be found at pigwa.net in the Holmes archive.

Yeah, I found it, in the Holmes archive too.

...use UnMakATR by Ken Siders to get the XEX file again)...

Or you can use AtrUtil, and extract the *KBOOT DISK* entry.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Errmm,

regarding those atarionline.pl variants of Un-LZH version 0.1 (not the Un-ATR/Un-ACE 0.1a version)...

- version 1 seems to be the original version

- version 2 was downloaded/transfered with a modem or something similar, thus hundreds of redundant segments are there (all of them have start+end-adresses $1A1A-1A1A); remove these redundant segments and you have version 1 again... didn`t Bobterm add such redundant segments ?!?

- version 3 contains an additional page 1 segment, don`t know what this is doing, it is not initialized, so maybe it has no effect at all

- version 4 is the same as version 1, but packed with Bewesoft`s Superpacker (I could use ten other packers and therefore add ten more versions or I could use one packer and pack the program with dozens of different buffer/depack adresses to create more variants)...

Thus, version 0.1 (version/variant 1) and version 0.1a would be enough here.

Last not least, Un-LZH 1.0 can be found at pigwa.net in the Holmes archive (it is a shortened ATR image, created with MakeATR by Ken Siders, use UnMakATR by Ken Siders to get the XEX file again)...

Did anyone investigate what the page1 segment does. in version 3? Is it a correction of some sort that fixes things? or an error that creates problems? Would be nice to have a utility that can be trusted!

Hello Larry

He did write it, but it wasn't meant to be shared. Somebody did...

Sincerely

Mathy

This is quite interesting. I assume it was not intended to be shared because of all the brouhaha around in the early nineties concerning file-compression copyrights and patents? There was so much bollocks going on back then, especially concerning LZW and how it was used in *.GIF I seem to recall? Not to mention the equally farcical MS/Stac handbags-at-dawn over 'DblSpace/DrvSpace'.

Hello morelenmir

I'm not sure why, it was a long time ago that he told me, but IIRC it wasn't because of the copyrights and patents.

Sincerely

Mathy

Fair enough! All that patent nonsense surrounding compression algorithms struck me as particularly egregious, more so even than the usual copyright trolling you see from big business. All forms of file compression are really just a mathematical formula, part of how the whole universe works. Individuals and companies should not be allowed to gain exclusive rights to something so fundamental and accessible to all. Okay, I can see them copyrighting a particular piece of software than exploits the formula - that is totally fine, but trying to gain ownership on a piece of maths...!!! It is ridiculous - does Pythagoras own all the right-angled triangles??? Its as bad as that business with 'patenting' genes that some unscrupulous bastards tried over in America a few years ago. Thankfully I believe for once that farrago received the treatment in court it deserved.

Anyway, perhaps he was never quite happy enough with the app and wanted to iron out the bumps before releasing it on the world. Its a nice piece of work regardless and I prefer it to the *.ARC software that comes with SDX. Good archival software is something the A8 scene really lacks in my opinion. Is Bob Puff still with us? Maybe even a member here?

• Like 1