IGNORED

Pentium 4 computer won't output signal to monitor

mehguy

Then the next step is to learn how to do that, get a manual or instructions, and read up. Or get your local geek to do it for you. Thenyou listen to the diagnostic beeps.

Or you can start swapping parts at random, beginning with the videocard and monitor and cable. Working your way through the system till whatever isn't working becomes working.

option B is another monitor

I have had some LCD's refuse to show anything if its set to 640x480 or higher than the LCD res, too high of a resolution could apply to a CRT as well

so plug it in another monitor if it shows, set it to something safe like 1024x768 or 800x600

Edited by Osgeld

It's hit/miss diagnosing without a speaker or one of the old cards that displays the POST code.

Minimal config is the best bet, ie video card, least amount of Ram supported which in some cases will mean 2 modules and there might be requirement to populate the slots in a certain order.

At least you could test the speaker by powering on without video card and/or Ram - there's usually a beep sequence for both those error types.

If none of these suggestions are working, then tell us what hardware you're using, videocard, ram, cpu, mobo, monitor, power supply..

I got a the speaker connected (which I hope i connected it correctly...) and no beeps.

Also, I tried making a lan with my other computer and the pentium, my other computer recognized it.

Could it be that the other computer is just recognizing the physical layer network interface card/chip? Can you actually transfer a file or see the computer name? I want be sure the operating system is really starting up.

If none of these suggestions are working, then tell us what hardware you're using, videocard, ram, cpu, mobo, monitor, power supply..

Could it be that the other computer is just recognizing the physical layer network interface card/chip? Can you actually transfer a file or see the computer name? I want be sure the operating system is really starting up.

In order to do that, I would need to see what is happening on the pentium 4 machine.

Some motherboards automatically switch to either the PCI or AGP slot by default. So one way to trouble-shoot an issue like this is to try the other type of video card to find out which slot is active. Some allow switching in the BIOS. Others use a motherboard jumper.

Anyway, you've got it working, so what I'm writing is just trivia for anyone in a similar situation.