IGNORED

OT: Forth makes history

Willsy

You've all no doubt heard about the Philae lander making a world-first by actually landing on a comet out in deep space. What you probably didn't know, is that both the orbiter, and the lander itself are running on Forth! They both have Harris RTX2010 processors (native Forth CPUs) as their main CPUs.

Go Forth! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

The backup has been well tested as on each power cycle of Philae the backup computer has started, then handed control over to the primary. This technically is an anomaly, as the CDMS was not programmed to do so, but due to some unknown cause it is working in such a state.

Apparently this is Cyberdyne technology. Expect terminators when this thing returns!

Apparently this is Cyberdyne technology. Expect terminators when this thing returns!

This is due to its base RPN-like nature... they just put the backup in the wrong place in the stack ;) But, what happens if the backup fails? Does control then not hand over to the primary? I sure hope that does not happen.

You've all no doubt heard about the Philae lander making a world-first by actually landing on a comet out in deep space. What you probably didn't know, is that both the orbiter, and the lander itself are running on Forth! They both have Harris RTX2010 processors (native Forth CPUs) as their main CPUs.

Go Forth! :thumbsup:

So-Jupiter Ace lands on comet.

So-Jupiter Ace lands on comet.

Kinda. Just that the processor is a "Forth" cpu in that the ML is Forth in a sense.

It's a single cpu predecessor of the F18A computer architecture used in GreenArray GA144 chips which is an 18bit Forth computer. (NOTE: Not to be confused with the F18A VDP upgrade).

Kinda. Just that the processor is a "Forth" cpu in that the ML is Forth in a sense.

It's a single cpu predecessor of the F18A computer architecture used in GreenArray GA144 chips which is an 18bit Forth computer. (NOTE: Not to be confused with the F18A VDP upgrade).

The RTX2010 is a descendant of Chuck Moore's Novix processor. Harris moved the stacks inside the chip and added floating-point support. I'm sure that Chuck would have taken some Novix ideas with him when he sat down to do the GA144 and the F18, though. I'm sure you're right. I'll ask him next time I speak with him. Chuck has quite a history with Forth CPUs, as I'm sure you know. There's a really nice synopsis here: http://www.cpushack.com/2013/02/21/charles-moore-forth-stack-processors/#more-875

;-)

Edited by Willsy