IGNORED

New Vectrex Game: Protector now available!

Rob Mitchell

I have to agree with Rob. I played it for a bit at Cinciclassic and it has to be one of the best vectrex games I've ever seen. The speed, control, graphics & sound effects were all excellent and I'm sure there's been a few improvements since then.

I don't suppose he'll ever release a binary, for those of us who live far away from our Vectrexes but would like to try to play it on our Zauri ;)

That screenshot of "YASI" looks incredible too, though I gotta believe he took a long-exposure photograph to conceal what must be seizure-inducing flicker!

That screenshot of "YASI" looks incredible too, though I gotta believe he took a long-exposure photograph to conceal what must be seizure-inducing flicker!

Believe it or not there's NO flicker - it's just like playing on a B/W TV with scanlines.

It's a very cool effect :)

is it right that you can use paypal with a credit card only?

Yes .. that will work ..

I've been told that Protector will not work with the emulators .. so don't expect the Binary to be released.

But it rocks on the real console .. No flicker. YASI rocks too! Dead on for arcade Space Invaders!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

wow, the video looks great to me, would love to have one cart. im sick of playing scramble once and once again.  

Yeah, ditto, I don't have many games for my Vectrex either.

One thing that sucked was that a friend of mine went to Philly Classic. I gave him the instructions and the name of a game to get (he volunteered to look for it, by the way), which is one of the multi-games that homebrewed dude John Dondzila made (forget the name right now, but it has the Space Invaders game, the Missile Command one, demos of the Tempest and Discs of Tron games he made, etc.; great deal for twenty bucks!). Unfortunately he said nothing on his website about Philly this year, plus a notice he was moving and that orders will be delayed, so I told my friend he might not be there. Nope, he wasn't. Yes, I'm about to go insane since my tv fried out!! :x So I'm about to order it now, although if my friend had gotten it, I'd probably be happily playing it by Thursday (as long as the mail wasn't slow), rather than a few weeks from that. Argh!

wow, the video looks great to me, would love to have one cart. im sick of playing scramble once and once again.  

I'm currently waiting for homebrewing gonzo John Dondzila at classicgamingcreations.com to finish moving so I can order Vecmania, which has demos of a Tempest clone he never finished and a Discs of Tron game that he accidentally erased a lot of the code to, so there's no sound, plus a Star Wars game (re: like the Atari vector graphics coin-op), an Eliminator game, Phoenix clone, Vectrex Vaders, and a Missile Command and Asteroids game--great buy for only twenty dollars! (Actually you can download the ROMs of them too, but the computer I use for the internet is a piece of junk and crashes if you put anything new on it, so I'm better off with the actual game. However, if you order the physical game, he'll put your name on the opening screen! A friend of mine went to Philly Classic, and I gave him instructions on which game to pick up, but since John was moving he didn't go this year [he went to all the other Phillies though, I think]. And since my tv crapped out, I REALLY NEED THIS GAME!!) He did several other games too.

Can you guys here vouch for the author, Alex?

Yeah, I can vouch for him - but if you don't believe me, check out rec.games.vectrex - you'll get loads of good references there.

Not to mention that a couple people have posted pix of their copy on their web pages.

But beyond that, I just received my copy yesterday. :-)

I recieved my copy yesterday. I thought I'd try it out before turning in last night and...... This is probably the best game ever for the Vectrex. Kudos to Alex.

The gameplay mechanics are damn near perfect. I had my doubts that the game would look as good as the video. I expected more flicker. It is amazing that he pulled this off. This is probably the best Defender game ever produced for a classic system. This is a fine example of what the Vectrex can do.

I am looking forward to YASI.

Nice work Alex,

-Lee

I expected more flicker. It is amazing that he pulled this off. This is probably the best Defender game ever produced for a classic system. This is a fine example of what the Vectrex can do.  I am looking forward to YASI.

Alex has perfected the art of alternating the drawing of objects such that the images are all displayed within the 30,000 cycle per second flicker threshold. (see Chris Salomon's VFrogger for another great example of this).

Re: YASI .. Alex has done some great "raster" examples on the Vectrex. This Space Invader clone on the Vectrex is dead-on the arcade look!!

Alex has perfected the art of alternating the drawing of objects such that the images are all displayed within the 30,000 cycle per second flicker threshold.  (see Chris Salomon's VFrogger for another great example of this).  

Re:  YASI  .. Alex has done some great "raster" examples on the Vectrex.  This Space Invader clone on the Vectrex is dead-on the arcade look!!

Was Alex the one who did the Galaxian knockoff on the multi-cart too? I'd attribute it to him just having seen and played it because it's "that damn good" as HHH would say. :D

Was Alex the one who did the Galaxian knockoff on the multi-cart too?  I'd attribute it to him just having seen and played it because it's "that damn good" as HHH would say. :D

Nope .. a guy in Belgium named Kristof Tuts did that one. He also has programmed a proto game of Moon Patrol and Time Pilot for the Vectrex .. both of these are still unfinished. All of his demos are really good.

Nope .. a guy in Belgium named Kristof Tuts did that one.

Kristof got skills! I hope he's working on some more projects. :D

He also has programmed a proto game of Moon Patrol and Time Pilot for the Vectrex .. both of these are still unfinished.  All of his demos are really good.

Ooooh, Time Pilot on Vectrex? Color me drooling, especially if KT is the one working on it. That I have to see.

BTW the wait for overseas air mail is KILLING me. Alex said my Protector went in the mail Saturday, and it's now Thursday - AUGHH. MUST, PLAY, GAME!!

Wow. And I do mean WOW. :o

I don't think those who described how nicely packaged this game was even gave it half the credit it deserves. This homebrew comes in a black matte box with an embosses purple logo on the top. When you lift the cover off the top of the box, you find inside the instructions, a full color overlay for the monitor, and the cartridge underneath nestled perfectly between two form fitting cutouts that hold the game like a ringbox does a beautiful diamond ring.

The description is accurate, because this game really is a diamond. This, ladies and gentlemen, is what a VCS Defender should have been like. Not only is the gameplay ridiculously faithful to the arcade version (it even takes advantage of all four buttons, which you can customize to which you want for thrust, reverse, fire and smart bomb) but the sounds and graphics are BEAUTIFUL. When my test game ended and the screen for high scores came up (which are saved to the cart after you turned off) even that page was stunning in how well presented it is. There is virtually no flicker whatsoever in gameplay, no matter how frentic the gameplay becomes. Dare I say it, this is a masterpiece. Of all the homebrew Vectrex games I've played to date, this is truly the "killer application." Had this been released with the system back in the 1980's it might have become as well known as the Atari VCS is today.

My score? A+, 10 OUT OF 10 (maybe even 11 or 12).

• 2 weeks later...

As I was a beta tester of Protector .. and initiator of this thread .. now I am an owner of my own Protector cart, case, manual and overlay! This whole package is a showpiece at any classic video game show! Amazing! Thanks to Alex Herbert for this masterpiece!

Imagine if the homebrewers of today had made some contributions in the 1980s. Time to pull out the Waybackmachine!