IGNORED

Fortune Builder -- great game!

SoulBlazer

So I checked and couldn't find anyone talking about the game itself, just the normal collector stuff with it.

This was one of the 'surprise gems' to me when I was checking out and trying all the games on my Colecovision Flashback a couple weeks ago. Just like Utopia for the Intelivision has been called 'Civilization .5' this game really reminds me of 'Sim City .5'. Really groundbreaking and quite impressive for when it came out. There were probably other games like this available for computers of the time, but to have games like this on a console in the pre-crash era were few and far between.

Sure, I wish there was a full screen option for when you are playing solo, but the two player head-to-head option was really good, again for the time period. I could see this being even more fun against another human. The one player game is limited in just trying to see how fast you can build up your bank account to the required amount to win the game, but it's still a blast to play.

Good choice including the overlay for this one with all the units, though, as it really helps. The music is also catchy and well done, and it's fun to experiment to see what happens if you try to build this here or build that road there.

Which is one reason I'm posting this, anyone have any tips or tricks for the game? Strategies that seem to work? Advise on doing well with the game?

There may have been some great games missing from the Flashback, which I fully agree with, but finding games like this on it which I didn't even know about is just great. I love strategy and simulation games so this is right up my alley, and if I'd had this BITD I would have played it for hours non stop. Today it holds up well enough IMHO that I have clocked in about 5-6 hours on it.

Edited by SoulBlazer

If i remember well it is the same guy behind that game and Sim City... :)

I don't believe that is correct. Will Wright developed the original Sim City and he was not involved with, and apparently not even inspired by, Fortune Builder. From the digitpress website, the following are named in the Fortune Builder game code; Steve Atlas, Bob McHugh, Jim Morrow, Matt Spaloss, Drew Sunstein, and Len Cope.

Great 2 player game, my brother and I spent a lot of time playing it. I wish I could remember some of the strategies. The only thing that sticks is placing bad things like factories next to his hotel etc., basically "playing to ruin his chances of making money"

This has some insight.

http://www.honestgamers.com/10190/colecovision/fortune-builder/review.html

I don't believe that is correct. Will Wright developed the original Sim City and he was not involved with, and apparently not even inspired by, Fortune Builder. From the digitpress website, the following are named in the Fortune Builder game code; Steve Atlas, Bob McHugh, Jim Morrow, Matt Spaloss, Drew Sunstein, and Len Cope.

You're right, when i thought to fortune builder i had in my head a C64 game.... and that game was... Sim city on C64!!... i'm getting old...