IGNORED

Does anyone know about GBA clones?

I've almost bought their other design a few times. The main reason I haven't sprung for a clone is that the screen on them has a different resolution which causes sharpness and/or stretching issues. From what I understand, a number of games also have slowdown or sound glitches.

gbatemp has very extensive reviews of both units.

It's not for people who are picky about quality, but honestly most of nintendo's original hardware has its down side too. Whether it be the lack of backlight, washed out colors, or having the wrong screen refresh rate.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

No kidding? That would drive me nuts, too. I had been thinking about picking up a 101 but now I'll have to consider that. Thanks for the warning.

So is there a best solution for GBAs? Is the DS Lite the way to go, then?

DS lite does well, though it bugs me that the cart sticks out the bottom so far and the top screen is blank. A half-height gba flashcard helps with the first issue, but introduces its own set of problems.

Personally, I have a bunch of Game Boy Micros I use. The smaller screen makes them look really sharp, and they're small enough to actually be portable, which I like. Their buttons start getting mushy after a few thousand hours (I haven't found rebuild kits), and the faceplates are expensive.

Edited by Reaperman

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer an original GBA or SP, because you loose GB/GBC BC once you go to the lite. That's a good reason not to modify a DS lite, though those are nice in themselves, the shoulder buttons suck on them. (three systems and the shoulders are shot on all of them)

If you just want to emulate, there's some good stuff for PSP.... though you could get a flash card and use real hardware.

• Like 1

It isn't the refresh rate that's different on the backlit SP, it's the response time. It has a lower response time screen which is what causes the blurring/ghosting. The colors are also oversaturated.

The Game Boy micro is the only backlit solution that has a high response time screen. It also has no washed out or oversaturated colors, and the sharpest screen due to being smaller (higher pixel density). The DS Lite has a low response time screen too, the original SP is frontlit, and the original DS is frontlit. The DSi is backlit and has a high response time screen, but it doesn't have the GBA slot.

The Game Boy Player has a timing issue that causes you to drop a frame every so often. The frontlit systems have washed out colors. The original Advance has no lighting at all. And the micro is expensive, and doesn't play Game Boy or Game Boy Color games.

So all of them really have their strenghts and drawbacks. I use a Game Boy micro for GBA games, a DSi for DS games, and a Super Game Boy 2 or frontlight modded Game Boy Color for Game Boy games.

• Like 1

I prefer an original GBA or SP, because you loose GB/GBC BC once you go to the lite. That's a good reason not to modify a DS lite, though those are nice in themselves, the shoulder buttons suck on them. (three systems and the shoulders are shot on all of them)

If you just want to emulate, there's some good stuff for PSP.... though you could get a flash card and use real hardware.

A lot of the time it's just dust getting caught in there preventing good contact. Try blowing into the opening between the buttons and the casing, while working the button up and down.

I'm really happy with my original GBA with upgraded AGS-101 screen. It also plays GBC games natively, which is a huge pro since Zelda Link's awakening (I haven't played the gbc Zelda's yet) :).

The blurring doesn't bother me, and the ergonomics are way better than the lite, which gave me cramps.

Edited by roland p