IGNORED

The Sega Control Stick - Why is it backwards?

Zap!

I first got my Sega Control Stick in 1987, and didn't use it very much for one good reason. It's awkward, because the joystick is on the right and the buttons are on the left, which is backwards to other devices. I can see if Sega did the same thing with their Control Pads, but they were normal. Now this might feel better to my left-handed friends, but I doubt this is what Sega had in mind. I know the Atari joystick has the button on the right as well, but that's not as wide, and has the stick in the center, not left.

post-12488-0-10164000-1417989554_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I never had a problem with the Sega Control Stick.

When I moved from my VCS to the SMS I thought the Control STick was a godsend because I hated (and still do) the stock SMS pads, and a Joystick is what I was used to, only with with a wider base, one more button and a short stick, but I always grip the base of a older joysticks anyway so height makes little difference.

I got my SMS and gear from uncle, and I remember him telling me you HAD to use the joystick with After Burner because they came together... he was wrong, but still, my question is, was there ever a combo pack of Control Stick + After Burner? or maybe a salesman was able to con him into buying two items rather than just one.

Edited by Torr

Worst joystick idea in the modern age. Useless, utterly useless. Chalk it up to Sega Stupidity...not to say NES didn't suffer, one only has to look at that thumb-slidey rotary pad but not quite thing...name escapes me.

Good riddance to crap like this.

I thought the NES Max was amazing, I loved that rotary pad.

Edited by Zap!

I thought the NES Max was amazing, I loved that rotary pad.

What did you love about it? All the games I played needed quick, precise directional control entry. That slippy little pad didn't do that at all. I did like the turbo, but that's like perfume on a pig: pointless, because the pad was so useless.

What games did you like with it?...the only one I can imagine was a fit for it was Marble Madness, and we also played Jackal with it. Only for the turbo, however.

I remember my cousin swore by it for Double Dragon II. I don't know why, I was pretty young at the time, but he'd always pull out that pad when he played that game.

"It" being the NES Max Controller.

Edited by Torr

What did you love about it? All the games I played needed quick, precise directional control entry. That slippy little pad didn't do that at all. I did like the turbo, but that's like perfume on a pig: pointless, because the pad was so useless.

What games did you like with it?...the only one I can imagine was a fit for it was Marble Madness, and we also played Jackal with it. Only for the turbo, however.

Use the Power Glove you sissies!

Been thinking about the Sega stick a bit more and I really think they were going for an Afterburner controller, like the commercial, so it's a pilot stick, that plausibly would be controlled with the right hand for right-handed people.

Still doesn't explain why they couldn't have put a switch to reverse the directions. Was this thing ever tested by *anyone* other than the engineer who designed it? I can't imagine nobody warned them about the left-handedness.

Or maybe it was a left-handed engineer that just wanted to give a big F-U to a right-handed world. :)

Edited by BillyHW

I must be joystick ambidextrous because the left-handed vs. right-handed thing doesn't make any difference to me. I'm as good with a CX40 as I am with an NES Advantage. Now, a pad controller with the d-pad on the right, THAT might trip me up a bit.

What's my point? I forget, but it ends with "The Master System joystick is still frickin' weird." A flight stick type of controller would be more like a pistol grip, wouldn't it? And less like the gearshift of a '91 Honda Accord?

(OT but I think Radar Lock on the 2600 was better than Afterburner on the MS. Maybe I should play Radar Lock with the MS joystick...)

• Like 2