IGNORED

Realsports Baseball review?

roryjr

I was just browsing reviews at videogamecritic.com. I was thoroughly disappointed with the Realsports Baseball review. They gave it an F. I thoroughly enjoyed head to head play with my cousin when we were kids. It was well designed. Our games ended with low scores just like a real baseball game. It came down to perfection and mistakes. The only way to get on base was for your opponent to make a mistake. We loved it.

• Like 1

VGC's reasons are pretty spot on. A lot of games we loved as kids -- we like them because that's all we had. But play it again with an open mind now, and it's not very good. All the pitches look the same! That makes batting kind of like gambling.

I really liked the game as a kid too. It was really cool that it had a single player version (vs the CPU). Intellivision didn't have that!

You ever try 5200 Realsports Baseball? WOW, that one is spectacularly good. Great gameplay, and the voice effects are cool.

• Like 1

I honestly never got into Realsports Baseball on the 2600. It was a good effort for the platform, but quite limited for obvious reasons. For better or worse I had computer games like Star League Baseball and Hardball! to compare to it, and, obviously, there was no comparison.

I was just browsing reviews at videogamecritic.com. I was thoroughly disappointed with the Realsports Baseball review. They gave it an F. I thoroughly enjoyed head to head play with my cousin when we were kids. It was well designed. Our games ended with low scores just like a real baseball game. It came down to perfection and mistakes. The only way to get on base was for your opponent to make a mistake. We loved it.

Haven't read the VGC review, but if he gave it an F, I can say with confidence that I agree with him.

My brother and I both thought this game was shit, even back in the 80's. The visuals are fine, but there are only a few different hits you can get, and you keep seeing them repeat over and over again. One of them is a shot that bounces off the left field fence, and the left fielder can pick up the ball and throw out the runner at first base. It's just stupid.

If you enjoy the game, that's cool, but I can't see how anybody could play this game today and enjoy it for any reason other than pure, 100%, unadulterated nostalgia.

I think the M-Network game is far superior. I don't think it had a 1-player option (or did it?) but for head-to-head baseball, it was so much better than RSB. Not much to look at, but the game play is there.

I think the M-Network game is far superior. I don't think it had a 1-player option (or did it?) but for head-to-head baseball, it was so much better than RSB. Not much to look at, but the game play is there.

It was two player only. Pete Rose Baseball is also pretty good, though the 7800 version is a little better (as it should be, though it's more disappointing for obvious reasons on that platform since you'd expect a bit more from that generation of system).

Too bad the 7800 RS Baseball is more like the 2600 version than the 5200 one. I like the 5200 one much better. Not to mention "Super" Baseball that's nothing more than a slightly altered version of RS Baseball rather than the improvement it should have been.

Edited by BrianC

Never got into RS Baseball either (really wanted to though!) and I had it BITD also. Was a huge letdown. Absolutely loved (still do) Mattell's Super Challenge Baseball! My brother and a few friends were really good at it too - was so much fun, we'd simulate seasons, keeping track of some simple stats, etc. :lol:

Absolutely loved (still do) Mattell's Super Challenge Baseball! My brother and a few friends were really good at it too - was so much fun, we'd simulate seasons, keeping track of some simple stats, etc. :lol:

I hear ya dude! We were the same... well, maybe not the stats, but hours of play and fierce competition between me, my brother, and some neighborhood kids.

I look back on it with rather rosy cheeks, though... I didn't take it too well when I would lose a few games in a row, and might thrown a few embarrassing rage fits. Thank goodness nobody had digital cameras in their pockets back then. :)

I don't know about "playing it with an open mind" and it's not that good. More like "playing it with modern day experiences/expectations" and it's not that good.

Personally I loved it, and it's still a decent game. But then, I'm not going to compare a 30ish year old game with MLB2015 either.