IGNORED

EA Cart/GROM

acadiel

Anyone have an EA Cart of GROM that they don't need that they'd want to sell? Building a supercart from Ksarul and would like not to mess with the two EA carts that I already own :)

Bonus points if it's just a desoldered GROM. I hate doing that. Really.

You actually don't have to desolder the Groms on the single sided TI Grom-only cart boards. They're only soldered on one side, so there's not much solder holding on to them. Larry Conner showed me some years ago at a TI Faire that if you take a small flat blade pocket screwdriver and force it under one end of the Grom, it will actually pull the chip through the solder. after you work one end up part way, do the other end. Keep going back and forth until the chip is free.

Gazoo

I am working on a NEW EA CART that is a true upgrade to the EA Cart.

Everyone else (include me REA 2012 stand alone version) just stuffed EA Editor and Assemblers into the EA Cart.

What I wanted was a upgrade for the EA included with RXB so redesigned menus and added pre programmed paths and would still only take up one GROM bank >E000 to >FFFF

For example is you are Editing and Assembling a file in normal EA Carts you have to type in the path.filename each time, but in the upgrade it remembers like BOOT does.

Paths include Edit1, Assem1, Util1, Source File, Object Path, List file and options used to assemble programs.

Unless you turn off the computer then the paths in VDP are cleared and starts over, quit key just exits EA cart.

I got this idea as I got tired of typing the path,filename in for Source, Object, List and options thus now just press 2 and it assembles and you can change any single path.

Change Object but leave others alone or change source and leave the others or just the Options changed.

Also want to add path from Directory and you can set paths from a Cataloger.

Anyway just a heads up on what I am doing.

You actually don't have to desolder the Groms on the single sided TI Grom-only cart boards. They're only soldered on one side, so there's not much solder holding on to them. Larry Conner showed me some years ago at a TI Faire that if you take a small flat blade pocket screwdriver and force it under one end of the Grom, it will actually pull the chip through the solder. after you work one end up part way, do the other end. Keep going back and forth until the chip is free.

Gazoo

I'll try this. mdude on eBay just had one up for auction, so I snagged it.

Does anyone have part numbers for the SRAM chip and the proper coin cell holder for the Supercart board? Preferably Mouser, but I can cross reference.

I bought about a dozen of the coin cell holders when I was doing the initial test builds for these, Acadiel. On the SRAM chips, any of the low power 32K chips will work--but the lower their voltage tolerance the better. I put some specific ones in a list that should work a while back, let me did it up and post it here.

Gazoo

+1 bonus points for this. It came out extremely easily!

post-22866-0-26932400-1419976109_thumb.jpg

Note I had to melt some of the solder on the pins slightly to smooth it out so that it would fit into the socket.

I still need a couple of parts, namely the 2.2uf cap (non polarized) and the SRAM chip. I have switches, LEDs, etc, all laying around. Actually, in my "magic parts bins", I had almost everything to build this (surprisingly).

Is this a good 32K chip? http://www.ebay.com/itm/D43256AC-10LL-NEC-43256AC-SRAM-28-PIN-DIP-/370584636485

We need to make a small assembler program that can test these suckers (read/write a couple times to each location to verify, power off, and then just a verify routine in the same program.)

Edit: I have no idea why these pictures keep winding upside down. I'm definitely not taking them that way on the phone.

post-22866-0-21602300-1419979469_thumb.jpg

Note I had to melt some of the solder on the pins slightly to smooth it out so that it would fit into the socket.

I mounted my LED directly to the board. It pokes through the back of the case nicely, along with the small SPST switches as pictured below.

post-25357-0-97989900-1418645628_thumb.jpg
Edited by UKRetrogamer
  • Like 1

I mounted my LED directly to the board. It pokes through the back of the case nicely, along with the small SPST switches as pictured below.

Nice job!

I went ahead and bought a couple of the aforementioned low voltage SRAMs I linked to on eBay. Also got a couple of low voltage 2.2uf caps from this auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161434130673

E/A pops up just fine without the SRAM and cap. The acid test will be me adding the cap, SRAM, and CR2025/2032 battery and then trying to figure out how to hack together a program that writes to it (or loads an 8K GK ROM to each bank) to verify functionality.

Kudos to Ksarul for redoing this. Much more functional than a vanilla E/A cart! :)

The funny thing with this project is that it was generated by a long phone conversation I had one night with Arcadeshopper. We were discussing the lack of an inexpensive supercart--and the relatively complicated method of creating one using a recycled TI board. I did the layout the following weekend and had a small number of them made, figuring that the 50 or so of them made in that run would be about as many as I would ever need. I'm down to the last dozen or so of them after three months. . .and if those sell, I may even have to do another run of them, assuming demand keeps going like it has.

This one was a pleasant surprise that grew out of one of the "throwaway" ideas that get generated during the conversations I have with all of you here--not every one will result in something useful, but if I can see the utility of something that is within my capabilities to make, I will get to it sooner or later--based on my hobby workload.

• Like 1

The funny thing with this project is that it was generated by a long phone conversation I had one night with Arcadeshopper. We were discussing the lack of an inexpensive supercart--and the relatively complicated method of creating one using a recycled TI board. I did the layout the following weekend and had a small number of them made, figuring that the 50 or so of them made in that run would be about as many as I would ever need. I'm down to the last dozen or so of them after three months. . .and if those sell, I may even have to do another run of them, assuming demand keeps going like it has.

This one was a pleasant surprise that grew out of one of the "throwaway" ideas that get generated during the conversations I have with all of you here--not every one will result in something useful, but if I can see the utility of something that is within my capabilities to make, I will get to it sooner or later--based on my hobby workload.

reminds me i still need to order the parts to build the one you sent me!! Next week perhaps when i am back from Ca

Greg

E/A pops up just fine without the SRAM and cap. The acid test will be me adding the cap, SRAM, and CR2025/2032 battery and then trying to figure out how to hack together a program that writes to it (or loads an 8K GK ROM to each bank) to verify functionality.

The self-assembly page for the original DIY Supercart gives instructions for testing the cart. (Needs to be repeated 4 times, 1 for each bank). Start at Step 3.

http://mainbyte.com/ti99/supercart/supercart_4bank.html