IGNORED

Christmas '93 with Sonic CD

Hey guys! It's Christmastime. Hope you are all having a wonderful season.

One of my favorite Christmas memories was playing Sonic CD with my Dad and cousins. For our annual Sega Christmas video, I decided to dig out the old '93 home movies and put together this tribute to that magical December day in 1993. It was ALL ABOUT the blue blur.

Merry Christmas!

[video=youtube;enP0zkSZZ-w]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enP0zkSZZ-w

• Like 5

It's nice to have old footage like that. Wish I'd done more of that. Nice video, thanks for sharing. Yes, I remember that holiday season period back in '93 and I remember buying Sonic CD and playing it through and being amazed (and somewhat annoyed by some stages) at the new-ness of the CD technology. Turning on Sonic CD, hearing Sonic Boom while watching the intro cartoon, then playing the first couple of levels was MAGIC. Then when I got my fill of Sonic CD, I'd play Batman Returns CD. :)

Mind you, I was like 23 years old then and already married, and I didn't have any kids yet. Years later when the Cafeman Jr's started popping out, they got to play the old Sonics though. And we bought Sonic CD HD on X360 and we've played it through a bunch of times. Sonic CD doesn't have the same feel as Sonic / Sonic 2 / Sonic 3 + Knuckles on Genesis, but its great Sonic platformer for a variety of reasons.

Love the video, as I love all of those personal videos you post.

On the game itself... I like the soundtrack a lot (both US and Japanese/PAL), but not so much the game. The level design is too clustered, it hardly ever lets you gain good speed. And it was unfortunate to omit features from Sonic 2, eventhough Sonic CD was released later (I know of the seperate teams working on them, wish they had better communication). So overall it is my least favorite 2D Sonic.

yet still, had I had the chance to play it in 93 (nobody had a Mega CD here, includin me) I would have enjoyed it still.

• Like 1

Great video :-)

Thread reminded me i'd re-bought this (on PSN after owning the MCD original at the time, but being somewhat non-plussed by it, Special stage too slow and jerky, game itself rather confusing).

I still cannot get my head around it.

108Stars sums up my feelings in terms of design of the game and i've always 'grouped' this in with Shinobi III/Golden Axe 2+3 and SOR as instalments in key Sega franchises that they seemed unsure how to proceed with and simply threw everything in, hoping it'd 'gel' well enough to work.