How to play:
Get to the exit. Press the jump button to jump. Avoid holes in the floor.
Red tiles on the floor are lava - they are dangerous.
Light Blue tiles on the floor are water. You can't swim, so avoid them.
You get an extra life every 500 points. The display shows 9 lives even if you have more.
You can take out the bad guys by jumping on top of them.
To beat the Boss levels you have to jump on the boss character a specified number of times.
If you land on the boss arena floor (or another floor at that height) the count is reset.
You get two points for taking out most blocks, but some blocks (randomly) are worth 5 points.
Changes from the original version:
1. In the original the player has to press up to switch levels. I left this out accidentally but left it that way because the player never presses up at any other time so it seemed counter intuitive to me to suddenly require them to do it.
2. It seemed jarring to me to go from one level to the next in a single frame, so I added a transition, where the new level is painted over the old level ("Just like Star Wars")
3. In my ported version I was somehow able to shoot the boss in one shot, and this didn't open the door. This was annoying, so I added code to disable shooting in the boss zone.
4. Sometimes the bullet gets hung up bouncing around the screen, so I was never sure if I had a bullet available or not. So I added a bullet to the LCD display to tell me when I could shoot (it is probably not possible to draw a bullet on the LCD - maybe it should display a B instead?)
5. I added more sound effects for the player jumping, and hitting the ground, and the bullet bouncing - just because I could...