IGNORED

Atari 5200 games/screen freezing?...

ataridave

Yep, I own a 5200; the two-port version. When I play Astrochase or Rescue on Fractalus, the screen freezes. The reset button on the controller (which is a rebuilt 5200 controller) doesn't reset the game-I have to turn the 5200 off, and then back on again.

I cleaned the contacts on Astrochase, but I have no idea how to get into Rescue on Fractalus, if the contacts on these games are the problem. Which I hope they are!

If it helps, I'm using RF, (with a video cable-no switchbox) and have the 5200 turned to channel 3.

I was wondering what power supply you were using if original one or an after market one ....

also http://atariage.com/howto/clean_cartridges.html

also use a high alcohol content (90% or better) good chance whats in your medicine cabinet is only 70%

don't give that thing to recycling center ...they'll just crush it me thinks :_(

Edited by chas10e

• 2 weeks later...

So, today, I took the screws out of the bottom of my 5200, and the mother board, along with the connectors inside the cartridge slot, looked very clean. There were a few small pieces of black plastic that fell out that had been moving around inside the system. I put it back together, and am still having the same video problems.

At this point, I'm wondering if it would help at all to clean out the connectors, or use some compressed air to get out any dust?