IGNORED

PS2 and Hard Drives

I doubt an unmodded PS2 will have anything to do with a burned disk.... you would need the mod/exploit installed first, correct?

As far as I know, that's correct.

I really need to look into this. I have free mcboot on a memory card, but I've never really used it. I have just about every PS2 game I want, but I wouldn't mind installing them to the HD for improving the loading times.

You should, it's really convenient. I've installed all my games worth playing to a 320GB drive. I have FreeMCBoot on a memory card, but I need to look into the HDD version... would be nice to free up that card slot & not have to ask myself "okay, which one is my hacked card again..." when I want to play.

I have a question for all you PS2 people is there any way to install a hard drive in my fat ps2 without Sony's software?

Btw I did double check and there is a PS2 / sata HDD adaptor...wow!!!

The SATA adapters also run around $60 versus maybe $10 for IDE. As for installing, I thought an application like WinHiip would format the HDD via windows so you don't need Sony's software?

There are network adapters for ps2 that will accept sata drives. I've put in a 128gb ssd with my games on it with free mcboot on memory card. Its kind of nice not needing my game discs.

You've managed to put an SSD into your unit? Nice. At least I know now it can be done.

As for my unit, what I would like to do is to remove the DVD-ROM drive (since they're crap) and turn the opening into a drive bay for an SSD which would be a "cartridge" and make it easier for removal to do more game installs through WinHiip.

• Like 1

The new hard drive only method I've tried out is using an old 300GB IDE drive on an extra PS2 I have. The nice thing is you don't have to open the PS2 to do a disc swap to get it installed. All you do is format the new drive on a PC with WinHIIP and then install the new disc image with HHDRawCopyPortable. Then just stick the new drive in the PS2 and your golden.

Below are instructions and the link to the image file. The image file takes about two hours due to the slow file server. That file has all the tools you need.

http://theisozone.com/downloads/playstation/tools/48-bit-hdd-osd-110-and-preinstalled-applications/

• Like 1

Then you can use WinHIIP to install the game ISO or rip one directly from the real game disc. I've found ripping from the real game disc gives better results but you do want to check the compatibility chart on post 32 for which modes to set per game.

If you only have an ISO, are you burning that to disc, or removing the HDD and hooking it back up to your PC? In terms of compatibility, a few friends of mine have mainly switched over to OPL, which I used for my slim PS2.

Is there any point in soft-modding a slim PS 2? I'm not being sarcastic here -- I have a slim PS 2, but without a hard drive (or the ability to add one), there does not seem to be any reason to mod it.

I know that there are one or two demos and perhaps a few other bits of software, but that does not seem to make it worth the effort.

Open PS2 Loader, it's just a different loader/application than HDLoader. You add it to your FreeMcBoot menu.

How? I rarely use Open PS2 Loader because it's in a goofy folder I can never remember the name of. :lol:

Be nice if it was on the first menu as HDLoader is.

BTW: people talk about how much "better" the Open Loader is compared to HDLoader… never ran across a problem yet with HDLoader and I can rip my games easily using it. Open Loader requires you to hook your HD to a PeeCee, where you copy .ISO's to it, correct? HDLoader is a hell of a lot user friendly and everything can be done right there on the PS2 (name files, rip, delete, rename, etc.)

Is there any point in soft-modding a slim PS 2? I'm not being sarcastic here -- I have a slim PS 2, but without a hard drive (or the ability to add one), there does not seem to be any reason to mod it.

I know that there are one or two demos and perhaps a few other bits of software, but that does not seem to make it worth the effort.

Obviously for one it takes up less space, but it's really only worthwhile if you stream the games off a PC via Ethernet, which I do. The games load fine, but I'm considering going to the much larger fat PS2 so I don't have to leave all these ISO's on my hard drive taking space up.

How? I rarely use Open PS2 Loader because it's in a goofy folder I can never remember the name of. :lol:

Be nice if it was on the first menu as HDLoader is.

BTW: people talk about how much "better" the Open Loader is compared to HDLoader… never ran across a problem yet with HDLoader and I can rip my games easily using it. Open Loader requires you to hook your HD to a PeeCee, where you copy .ISO's to it, correct? HDLoader is a hell of a lot user friendly and everything can be done right there on the PS2 (name files, rip, delete, rename, etc.)

OPL is the only method using a slim PS2 over network. I've found it works very, very well, and I'm told recent versions perform as well as HDLoader using a HDD. I don't know what you mean by a different folder? My Free McBoot is on a memory card, and the menu scrolls up and down. It's the PS2 menu itself. FreeMcBoot has a config application which allows you to modify the menu, but it sounds like that's not what you're using.

• Like 1

OPL is the only method using a slim PS2 over network. I've found it works very, very well, and I'm told recent versions perform as well as HDLoader using a HDD. I don't know what you mean by a different folder? My Free McBoot is on a memory card, and the menu scrolls up and down. It's the PS2 menu itself. FreeMcBoot has a config application which allows you to modify the menu, but it sounds like that's not what you're using.

-not talking about a PS2 slim model, talking about PS2 Fat w/ a HD-

Yes, using FreeMcBoot so there's an application or utility on there somewhere that allows me to create a shortcut to the Open PS2 Loader? And places that shortcut on the main menu for easy access?

Only way I've been getting to it now is by exploring the memory card and searching through folders. It's clunky and cumbersome as hell. So much so, that I don't even want to use the program:

uLaunchElf - File browser- mc1: - boot/oplgsm.elf

...at least 5 or 6 button presses muddling through the file system before I get the OPL screen. Should be a shortcut for OPL on the main menu, but there isn't. Only a shortcut for HDLoader. Guess I'm wondering if OPL is the "preferred" loader, why is there no shortcut? Using FreeMcBoot version 1.8.

If you only have an ISO, are you burning that to disc, or removing the HDD and hooking it back up to your PC? In terms of compatibility, a few friends of mine have mainly switched over to OPL, which I used for my slim PS2.

For an ISO, I remove the HDD from the PS2 and plug it into my IDE to USB adapter. I run WinHIIP on my PC and select add image. It will then copy the ISO to the PS2 HDD. I then plug the HDD back in the PS2 and run HDLoader.

I'm running a DMS 4 pro in my PS2 made possible by Jinn here at Atariage (the master).

I threw on ToxicOS and I'm pretty much the happiest guy on the planet. It's been a long time but I think the PS2 will only recognize a drive up to 200GB without having to mess around.

Anyone who's thinking of adding a harddrive it's well worth it.

I'm running a DMS 4 pro in my PS2 made possible by Jinn here at Atariage (the master).

I threw on ToxicOS and I'm pretty much the happiest guy on the planet. It's been a long time but I think the PS2 will only recognize a drive up to 200GB without having to mess around.

Anyone who's thinking of adding a harddrive it's well worth it.

I believe that Open PS2 Loader can recognize up to 2TB. I have a 512GB in my unit with about 260GB used and it works fine.

I have copied all my game iso's from my computer over Ethernet to the PS2 fat's HDD.

So you can do that.

It just takes quite a while.

And I have an "any old" 80GB IDE drive in there, not a Sony one.

Haven't used it in 3 years, but I have HDLoader, and Free mcboot.

I can also use the swap disc with that flat tool you make.

All soft mods, through Action MAX. No hardware mod chips.

I've been thinking about Burnout, and waiting for Guitar Hero / Rockband to become nostalgic. :D