IGNORED

PS2 and Hard Drives

What IDE to USB adapter do you have?

I use this one from amazon. It does SATA and IDE. They are pretty widely available at Amazon or NewEgg. Anyone will work. One of these days I should try a 2TB drive since they are pretty cheap now.

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B001OORMVQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1421880605&sr=8-5&keywords=ide+to+usb+3.0

41repRFsUkL._SX425_.jpg

Edited by Master Phruby
  • Like 1

I use this one from amazon. It does SATA and IDE. They are pretty widely available at Amazon or NewEgg. Anyone will work. One of these days I should try a 2TB drive since they are pretty cheap now.

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B001OORMVQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1421880605&sr=8-5&keywords=ide+to+usb+3.0

41repRFsUkL._SX425_.jpg

Wow! That would be pretty handy. I'll have to look into this.

Dumb question though. What's the cheapest place to get a moderately large (say 80GB) IDE drive?

Anywhere from 700MB to maybe 3GB, depends on the game. 80GB is too small, I'd go with 250 at least. They're not any more money really. I got a used 500GB for my Xbox off ebay, and plopped it in there. For PS2, should I switch to a fat one, I'll probably go for 400GB.

Even though the games take up 3 to 4 GB per image most of them are not really that large. The data on the disk is generally moved around to specific spots to make it easier for the drive to read it and reduce wear. This is done by the use of dummy files that move the necessary data to the right spot. By using hard drives you won't need this data but is not easy to get rid of these files. I did a little research on something called "ISO shrinking". It involves breaking open the ISO and replacing the large dummy file (as well as language files you don't need) with zero K text files. Then rebuilding the ISO afterwards. One example mentioned was Metal Slug X. It has a 4GB image. But, if you break open the ISO and replace the dummy file, then you can shrink it down to 200MB - a 3.8GB difference. This may be useful to know if you are going to use smaller drives.

Even though the games take up 3 to 4 GB per image most of them are not really that large. The data on the disk is generally moved around to specific spots to make it easier for the drive to read it and reduce wear. This is done by the use of dummy files that move the necessary data to the right spot. By using hard drives you won't need this data but is not easy to get rid of these files. I did a little research on something called "ISO shrinking". It involves breaking open the ISO and replacing the large dummy file (as well as language files you don't need) with zero K text files. Then rebuilding the ISO afterwards. One example mentioned was Metal Slug X. It has a 4GB image. But, if you break open the ISO and replace the dummy file, then you can shrink it down to 200MB - a 3.8GB difference. This may be useful to know if you are going to use smaller drives.

Interesting, I did not know this. Sounds like a lot of work though.

Wait... 2TB hard drives are $100? Since when?

Don't know, but the SATA PS2 adapter runs close to $60.

I am sure what is meant is a mechanical HD... and you can find them under $100. Something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148834

No idea if that would work or not. Just an example.

You beat me to that one. It's a pretty good deal. I have that one in my home server

Yeah I think I'll stick with the largest IDE drive I can get for a reasonable price.

If I were you I would just get the SATA adapter for $60 and the 2TB for $80 and let the downloading begin.

You can however get the IDE to SATA Hdd adapter for about $10. But you need to be careful to make sure the network interface still connects to the ps2. You would need to go with a laptop HDD instead otherwise it will never fit inside. I've seen people that sell those modified adapters.

I currently have an $8 bid on a compatible 300GB IDE drive, we'll see if I win. Even at 4GB a game (I'm guessing most aren't that large) that's 75 games which is more than I really need.

How long does it take to install a game on the hard drive from an actual disc? Like I said, I own most of the games I already want.

Oh and did they ever fix the compatibility issues with Tales of the Abyss? That was one of the few games that I really wanted to install but had issues.

So I read somewhere that the PS2 can only see the first 127GB of a hard drive unless you do some mod. Is that still true (the message was from 2006)?

That's an issue on XBOX, because MS used that awful FATX format. It can be circumvented though using different modding apps.

I currently have an $8 bid on a compatible 300GB IDE drive, we'll see if I win. Even at 4GB a game (I'm guessing most aren't that large) that's 75 games which is more than I really need.

How long does it take to install a game on the hard drive from an actual disc? Like I said, I own most of the games I already want.

Oh and did they ever fix the compatibility issues with Tales of the Abyss? That was one of the few games that I really wanted to install but had issues.

Can probably copy a game in a minute or two. You could use the USB adapter (cheaper one), or get a more expensive Dock.