IGNORED

PS2 and Hard Drives

Greg is right, it will copy the disc to the HDD in about 2-3 minutes. I find that actually works better than downloading an iso and copying it over. I had a Jax & Daxter iso that wouldn't work correctly on the hdd. I copied it from my disc instead and it works great. Probably a bad iso.

Edited by Master Phruby

I've made some changes to my PS2 unit. I've redone the hard drive to be bootable. Now I don't need a memory card to soft mod the PS2. A lot of my ripped games will still work. Here is the HDLoader compatibility chart

http://www.absoluteanime.com/hdloader.html?page=r

So what do all those utilities do? Is there a list somewhere? I think I need three things:

HDLoader

Open PS2 Loader

Free McBoot Installer (just in case I ever need to make a Free Mcboot memory card again)

That pre-installed image seems like it would be the easiest way to go, but it also has a lot of other stuff I don't need on it. I don't know if it would be easier to just install the things I need (not sure how hard that is) or install this image and delete the things I don't need.

I don't see any reason to delete anything in the image. It's not like your hurting for storage space and the entire image only takes about 10gb. I believe there are only seven utilities on the image anyway. If you need to you can remove things once the image is created by using winHIIP. I would get rid of SMS player and POPs emulators.

Preinstalled Applications:
- uLaunchELF Version 4.42_Evil
- Open PS2 Loader Version 0.9.1 + GMS 0.37
- HD Loader Version 0.8c 48Bit (I'm not sure if its 48bit or 28bit, if its not 48bit, you can add it.)
- ESR beta r9b (GUI)
- GS Mode Selector Version 0.37
- SMS Player Version 2.9
- Memory Card Annihilator Version 2.0
- Sony PlayStation: POPS Emulator (Size set to 768mb, so you can one game to it. Note: I added a 30mb game to it.)
- Gradius Gaiden (POPS Emulator)
- Free McBoot Installer (Does not work.. ok it does work, it just can't see all the files needed.)
Edited by Master Phruby

So what do all those utilities do? Is there a list somewhere? I think I need three things:

HDLoader

Open PS2 Loader

Free McBoot Installer (just in case I ever need to make a Free Mcboot memory card again)

That pre-installed image seems like it would be the easiest way to go, but it also has a lot of other stuff I don't need on it. I don't know if it would be easier to just install the things I need (not sure how hard that is) or install this image and delete the things I don't need.

You don't need HDLoader. Open PS2 Loader is far superior - has more options to make your games run better from the drive and doesn't make incorrect timestamps on game saves which often led to corrupted saves.

To my knowledge I know of no game that works only in HDL but not Open PS2 Loader. I also don't know if the hard drive compatibility for games was improved with the appearance of Open PS2 Loader. Technically you can fix game save timestamp issues in HDL but you have to do that manually for each game through the menu. Not all games will flake out with incorrect game save timestamps but I do know for a fact that both GTA3 and Vice City had serious problems with it. Open PS2 Loader doesn't make incorrect timestamps so that is something you never have to worry about. It also has multiple hard drive speed settings so you can tweak things just right in case you have problems when running certain games. And you can customize the menu background and even have custom icons for your game so you can have a really slick looking setup.

Any hints on how to get the rails off the original PS2 hard drive? I know they're not needed, but I'd like to use them. The stupid screws are some tiny little star shaped thing that I've never seen before and none of my bits fit.

Also, I used the program to install OPL and those other apps and that seems to work just fine, but Winhiip doesn't see my drive now. Why is that?

EDIT: Figured it out, you need to make sure the Run As Admin box is checked in properties. Damn Windows!

Any hints on how to get the rails off the original PS2 hard drive? I know they're not needed, but I'd like to use them. The stupid screws are some tiny little star shaped thing that I've never seen before and none of my bits fit.

Also, I used the program to install OPL and those other apps and that seems to work just fine, but Winhiip doesn't see my drive now. Why is that?

EDIT: Figured it out, you need to make sure the Run As Admin box is checked in properties. Damn Windows!

Sound like torx screws, and you need a special screw driver. You can usually get bits of various sizes when you buy a driver set that is meant for small electronics work. I think T6, T7, and T8 are typical sizes. No idea what the PS2 rails used... haven't gotten around to messing with it yet.

I think the smallest I had was a T10 which was too big. It's not a big deal, but I'd like to use the rails for support.

I have another question: I used Winhiip to add a bunch of ISOs to the HD and the work through HDLoader but OPL doesn't see them at all. I also have to scroll through all the files to get to the HDLoader program, is there a way to add it to the start menu?

Speaking of the menu, if I try and start the PS2 with my Free McBoot memory card it won't detect the HD at all. Why is this? I was hoping to add OPL and HDLoader to a start menu.

I installed Free Mcboot to the HD using the program and it does indeed show the Free McBoot menu but after that I just get Browser and Configuration options on the menu. I loaded the Free McBoot configurator (from a USB stick) and edited the HDD CFG file and saved it back to the HDD. However when I reboot nothing I entered showed up. Am I doing something wrong or does this not work with the HDD (all the examples I see are Memory Card menus)?

EDIT: I'm guessing that the problem is that I'm not assigning the correct .ELF files to the menu entry. Looking at the one on the MC it's looking for things like HDLOADER.ELF and all I see on my HD image is EXECUTE.ELF in the HDLoader directory. The programs work correctly when run from the HD so I'm not sure what this means.

I have another question: I used Winhiip to add a bunch of ISOs to the HD and the work through HDLoader but OPL doesn't see them at all. I also have to scroll through all the files to get to the HDLoader program, is there a way to add it to the start menu?

This is the exact issue that I have. Post if you figure out a fix for it.

Mitch