IGNORED

The TI-99/4a is now a museum exhibit

wyerd

Very nice pictures. Looks like a cool and "professional/well built/serious" machine. Guess Atari might have been a bit inspired with their XL series (Announced in December 1982 and presented in January 1983).

I might go there (the museum). It would be cool if someone could post pictures from the actual setup and surrounding area. In the description it says: With power supply ADPT, PAL modulator, dual cassette interface cable, TV connnection cable, 'Personal Record Keeping' command module (boxed), User Guide, 'Beginner's Basic', two dual sided cassette tapes, and various magazines.

Here's the image that was posted on the BBC Micro & Acorn Electron group over on Facebook. (I have a BBC Micro Model B as well!)

science_museum.jpg

Thanks to Stuart T'g for sharing. Not sure what the device is to the right of the TI.

• Like 1

Every time I stop and think about the fact that I was already an adult when I bought my first 4A (back when you could still walk into any computer store, and find an entire wall of TI software*), I realize that it won't be long before they put me in a museum too.

Except instead of "Science Museum" it will be called "Shady Hills". (Movie night is on Wednesday and on Friday there's rice pudding!!!)

*(ok, so there were three walls for Atari software, and an entire room for Commodore, but the nice thing about getting old is the selective memory!)

Sort of off-topic, but sort of on since it was at a museum:

When I was in Chicago in 2000, the Museum of Science and Industry had several 4A's running some interactive exhibits.

new0014.jpg

Since it was 15 years ago, I'm sure they've moved to something more modern. Actually, even back then, the exhibits looked pretty jankey...not the fault of the 4a's.

I have some more pics at http://www.99er.net/chicago/chicago.html

I always wondered what they did with those computers...

-Rich

Edited by 99er

The Smithsonian had a number of interactive displays running on /4As back around 2000 as well in the Air and Space museum. They disappeared during the last display update cycle. . .sometime around 2008 or so.

Wonder what they do with those retired displays.

• 5 months later...