IGNORED

light guns for atari 7800

maxdrive

I just got a 7800 at a thrift store a few months back it had games with it controllers all the hookups and one thing that wasn't Atari It was a light gun, but it looks like one from a nes 800 in one systems you sometimes see people at the mall selling. The plug matches the Atari plug I was wondering if any one had any luck using one of these. if not would a Konami justifier from lethal enforcers for the Sega Genesis work since genesis controllers work for them.

like that one ? http://atariage.com/7800/archives/hardware.html

The most notable exception was the XG-1 lightgun, which came bundled with the Atari XE Game System. The XG-1 was fully compatible with the 7800 and was sold separately for other Atari systems. Atari released four 7800 light gun games: Alien Brigade,Crossbow, Meltdown, and Barnyard Blaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_7800#Peripherals

I don't have any of those games so I'm not sure if the justifier gun would work with them or if XG-1 would work on sega ( probably not)

I know of the xg-1 it is just so hard to find compared to the justifier the ones I seen on e bay is around 60 dollars and I can buy a justifier off of amazon for a lot less. so I am wondering if the backwards compatibility with genesis controllers would carry over to it

If you have some basic soldering skills, the Sega Master System light gun can be used as an Atari xg-1 replacement by either modifying it or building a simple external adapter (http://www94.pair.com/jsoper/7800_gun_adap.html). Sega guns are cheap and more common than the xg-1.

• Like 1

If you have some basic soldering skills, the Sega Master System light gun can be used as an Atari xg-1 replacement by either modifying it or building a simple external adapter (http://www94.pair.com/jsoper/7800_gun_adap.html). Sega guns are cheap and more common than the xg-1.

that's why I was wondering about the justifier from lethal enforcers since sega genesis contollers work in a 7800 would this

Nope, the controllers ports have different pinouts (the main difference is that power is on different pins, but also the position and functions of the input/outputs is different), but the gamepad happen to work on both consoles, altough it gets power from a pin which is intended to be a data input.
The fact that the connector is the same doesn't mean that any peripheral can be swapped between the two consoles (and you can cause damage by doing so).

On the genesis there were 2 light guns: the Sega Menacer and the Konami Justifier, incompatible within each other (and with the Master system lightgun).
The Master System works just like the xg-1, apart for the different pinout and one signal which use an inverted logic, so it's easy to convert using a mod or an adapter. I don't know If the genesis ones can be converted, but in that case they would need a different mod or adapter.

Nope, the controllers ports have different pinouts (the main difference is that power is on different pins, but also the position and functions of the input/outputs is different), but the gamepad happen to work on both consoles, altough it gets power from a pin which is intended to be a data input.

The fact that the connector is the same doesn't mean that any peripheral can be swapped between the two consoles (and you can cause damage by doing so).

On the genesis there were 2 light guns: the Sega Menacer and the Konami Justifier, incompatible within each other (and with the Master system lightgun).

The Master System works just like the xg-1, apart for the different pinout and one signal which use an inverted logic, so it's easy to convert using a mod or an adapter. I don't know If the genesis ones can be converted, but in that case they would need a different mod or adapter.

Mitch mentioned a while back that the Saturn gun could be moded for the Atari. I've not tried myself but I thought I would throw that out there.

Just to be safe and avoid frustration...Light guns from classic systems, Atari/SMS/NES etc., will not work on modern displays. You must utilized a CRT to use them at all. An LCD/OLED/LED/Plasma are not compatible with them.

Actually, Marty Goldberg was mentioning over on Facebook that the NES Zapper - I believe he said it was the NES one - could be rigged to work with an LCD. It's a timing and brightness issue and apparently the late Ralph Baer figured it out.

The XG-1, the Atari light gun for the XE Game System will work on the 7800. There's a rare orange version of it. There was also an OEM version of the gray XG-1 that Commodore dealers used to sell for some Amiga light gun games.

For an example of that, go to the URL below and check out "Amiga Light Gun":

http://www.amigahistory.plus.com/rareitem.html

Actually, Marty Goldberg was mentioning over on Facebook that the NES Zapper - I believe he said it was the NES one - could be rigged to work with an LCD. It's a timing and brightness issue and apparently the late Ralph Baer figured it out.

Kevin Horton was trying to expand on that and last I read\heard it's still a no go with the Zapper on LCD. :(

• Like 1

It would be nice if anything ever came of the NES Zapper working on an LCD; even then though, I fear the response delay of each display would be a *huge* factor.

Likely, you would need an LCD with an extremely short response delay. The majority of those LCD displays, especially the cheapo ones the masses love to eat up, have a relatively high delay response. It already causes enough issues with it being interpreted as 'input lag' from a standard controller. The results with a light gun, if ever made to actually work, would likely be only worse on many LCDs.

Purely speculating, but I would almost think it would need some sort of variable dial to distinguish between an LCD with a 2ms response delay, as oppose to say one that is 8, 6, or even 5ms [?]

I've kicked around the idea of experimenting with an NES zapper style gun on LCD. I think it might be made to work with new homebrews using a calibration routine at the start to measure the frame-delay between the white-object display attempt and it's actual appearance.

I don't see existing games ever working on anything with a framebuffer, like a modern TV.

I've kicked around the idea of experimenting with an NES zapper style gun on LCD. I think it might be made to work with new homebrews using a calibration routine at the start to measure the frame-delay between the white-object display attempt and it's actual appearance.

I don't see existing games ever working on anything with a framebuffer, like a modern TV.

If you do make sure it's Duck Hunt and don't be shy of making a 7800 port with lightgun support first ;)

• Like 1

Mitch mentioned a while back that the Saturn gun could be moded for the Atari. I've not tried myself but I thought I would throw that out there.

Yes, I did. It works fine but I found the gun to be a bit oversized. My favorite is actually the Best Electronics lightgun.

Mitch