IGNORED

OMG, have you guys seen this? Retron 5

82-T/A

My understanding is that the Retron 5 is just a very expensive emulator box. It doesn't actually play your games, it just looks up the ROM and plays it via emulator. You can basically do the same thing with your PSP, Android phone, or an old XBOX original. I apologize if I'm misunderstanding what it is.

Define what you mean "looks up?"

From what I understand, it pulls DOWN the ROM from the cartridge, and loads it through an emulator that runs off of Android. So similar, but I don't believe there's any connection to the internet going on.

Define what you mean "looks up?"

From what I understand, it pulls DOWN the ROM from the cartridge, and loads it through an emulator that runs off of Android. So similar, but I don't believe there's any connection to the internet going on.

And you would be correct. It dumps the ROM from your original inserted cartridge. It cannot play roms otherwise or play them off SD card (well actually there ARE some hacking efforts in this area where other roms and emulators have been loaded ) for the most part though as it is sold it is for original cartridges only, the SD card slot is to provide updates and patches you download from online source. It is a locked down android platform running emulators not all of which where legally obtained by the way and there has been some controversy over this.

And you would be correct. It dumps the ROM from your original inserted cartridge. It cannot play roms otherwise or play them off SD card (well actually there ARE some hacking efforts in this area where other roms and emulators have been loaded ) for the most part though as it is sold it is for original cartridges only, the SD card slot is to provide updates and patches you download from online source. It is a locked down android platform running emulators not all of which where legally obtained by the way and there has been some controversy over this.

So what you're saying is, I need to buy this ASAP before they stop selling it due to legal reasons?

So what you're saying is, I need to buy this ASAP before they stop selling it due to legal reasons?

I doubt it. I imagine some sort of agreement would be made or software change before it goes that far.

In my opinion though you may as well just game on cheap clone consoles rather than one of these things. Since its just an emulator box, you may as well just emulate the systems on a PC. I personally would rather use the original systems.

Probably not because snes9x emulator developers do not have financial means to sue them.

Here is the list of emulators they use btw: http://retron5.in/node/9

It might seems impressive at first (and resellers like funstock sure know how to make hyping commercial "reviews") but it's really just an android box with cheap hardware made in Shenzen and software emulators 100% made by unpaid amateur developers, with usual emulator features like filters, savestates, cheats, etc... It's just getting roms from your cartridge instead of the internet like most people usually did so it's not really more "authentic" or "accurate" than anything else already running on modded consoles, computers or smartphones.

It is also way overpriced (initial price was $99 and they raised it up to $159 I think seeing how much people are willing to pay nowadays for anything related to retrogaming).

• Like 4

Naw it is what it is, don't really see any action being taken just bad PR among certain circles lol. If I were you I would look into reviews and opinions around the web and youutbe. Like any clone there are good and bad points, I here the slots have a death tight grip on carts and make sure you are getting newer current stock as they already did a hardware revision that supposedly addressed some issues. If you dig it though sure pick one up. I prefer my Super Retro Trio by Retrobit personally, though it is more like other clones (the emulation is hardware based) it IS compatible with my NES / Snes / Genesis Everdrive flashcarts so that is a lot of gaming to be had. The Retron 5 is not only NOT compatible but I have heard some bad things can happen to your everdrive if inserted into the Retron 5 (IE: BRICK YOUR FLASHCART) though this might mean nothing to you. Then again the approach the Retron 5 takes has lead to some interesting possibilities that I predicted. Just know if you get one you likely WILL have to do some firmware upgrades to get it up to where it's at right http://retron5.in/node/6 and you will likely prefer original controllers which can be used with it over the included wireless ones but yeah otherwise that is a whole lot of gaming platforms in one box in glorious HDMI output. So really look into it. Then decide. ;)

How To Update Your RetroN 5 Firmware

http://youtu.be/s6JwUbS-Bv4

Hyperkin Retron5 Review Part 1 - Hardware Overview (thorough 9 part review by Satoshimatrix :P )

http://youtu.be/_18ema35ZSs

Hey, the ability to play Gameboy on the big screen is always a plus. But then, I have a Gamecube for that. ;)

I let them know there would DEFINATELY be a market for the Atari Lynx since no current widely marketed solution exists to get the games on the big screen. He did not seem overly interested in Atari though. Wasn't exactly estatic about that response, so with me and Retron I am ... meh...

• Like 2

There's actually a fairly huge thread about this console.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/209669-retron-4-console-for-snesnesgenny-etc/?hl=%20retron

I have one and it does work well, as long as you use original controllers as the wireless controllers have terrible lag. While it works well, I can't actually recommend anyone buy it simply due to the licensing issues for the emulators they outright stole. Had I known that was the case before I bought it, I would have never made the purchase. The authors of Genesis Plus GX and SNES9x Next can't afford proper legal counsel, so nothing will be done about it.

Has this thing been blown wide open yet? I've got one but barely use it since it doesn't work with flash carts. I'm waiting for when I can turn it on and load games off the SD card without having to do any kind of weird file management or deal with weird work-around hacks.

Has this thing been blown wide open yet? I've got one but barely use it since it doesn't work with flash carts. I'm waiting for when I can turn it on and load games off the SD card without having to do any kind of weird file management or deal with weird work-around hacks.

Nothing simple or solid .....yet. Just hacks and experiments with some videos shown but I am sure it only a matter of time. It will never work with flashcarts as that is a hardware limitation (which is why I prefer my Super Retro Trio) so running ROMS of SD would be nice. There is talk about developments over at Assembler forums though they are currently down (unrelated) just keep your eyes open and you will see more things like this I am sure :

http://youtu.be/D1sxvDmaeys

http://youtu.be/6zSivt5pJ4k

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

Based on what I've read and heard, Tanrunomad is right on the spot above. The Retron 5 supposedly uses the ROM as a key or checksum to verify it is a legitimate game, then plays the corresponding emulated ROM dump. This means that hacks, unlicensed games and homebrews won't play, and a small amount of legit games as well, versions that the device doesn't recognize. I believe this is exactly for licensing purposes they have that limitation, to prevent the device being used for various forms of piracy (for a broad meaning of the word in which unlicensed homebrews are included).

... but as indicated by videos above, there may be ways to hack around that limitation, just like you can jailbreak your smartphone etc.

Edited by carlsson

For me, it's too in-between. If you're a collector, or like having a stash of carts to sift through, then just buy the real system.

If you're the type of guy who wants everything in one spot, and doesn't care about cart value, then emulate (PC, modded Xbox, Ouya, etc).

Either way is fine.

Bit this has all the expense of collecting with the bad side of emulating on a crappy Android system. There's no win-win scenario here for me, it's just a big lose-lose. And for the price, you can nearly buy all the consoles this thing plays. Other than the HDMI out (which frankly, component cables with a modded Xbox at 1080 do just as well), I just don't see the point.

• Like 5

That's what I figured, but it's not good enough. Ignoring a SMS port is like omitting the NES port. That is bad, I am absolutely disgusted. I bet it's an American product. Terrible. TRASH.

As much as I absolutely hate defending this system, calling this system "terrible" and "trash" due to a lack of a dedicated SMS port is silly. Hyperkin even delayed this console specifically to move the slots around, allowing for the Power Base Converter to be used.

Also, yes, this is an American product. It makes sense for them to prioritize NES over SMS, due to their primary market. At least they put in the effort to provide SMS support.

• Like 2

Seriously, whether $99 or $150 (or somewhere in-between like it is at present), this is a tremendous system. To be able to play actual NES, SNES, Super Famicom, Genesis, Mega Drive, Famicom, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, GBA, and Master System cartridges (with an adapter) on a single system over crystal clear HDMI 720p (with plenty of display configuration options) with your choice of NES, Genesis, or SNES controllers, as well as with various save, mapper, and cheat options, I find it stunning that anyone can be critical of this thing (I will say that the stock controller rather sucks and the cartridge ports do like to really hold onto a cartridge, but those are relatively minor bumps in a product that delivered on all of its original promises).

If you don't have original cartridges or controllers, of course you're better off with regular emulation. This was never marketed as a replacement for that, though. It's unfortunate they don't officially support flash cartridges (or even ROMs), but from a business standpoint it's an understandable stance (of course, there is now an unofficial option to play ROMs, but that was inevitable).

It's one thing to say this product is not for you, it's another to call it junk or trash or anything else of that ilk when it's demonstrably not.

And no, just because they don't support system x, y, or z, doesn't make it junk or trash either. They can't support everything in one, and, like it or not, classic systems like the Atari 2600 tend to be a different class of collector. It's understandable that Hyperkin does not see it as a viable market to target, even though I too would have loved for them to provide support for platforms like the 2600.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 3

Seriously, whether $99 or $150 (or somewhere in-between like it is at present), this is a tremendous system. To be able to play actual NES, SNES, Super Famicom, Genesis, Mega Drive, Famicom, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, GBA, and Master System cartridges (with an adapter) on a single system over crystal clear HDMI 720p (with plenty of display configuration options) with your choice of NES, Genesis, or SNES controllers, as well as with various save, mapper, and cheat options, I find it stunning that anyone can be critical of this thing (I will say that the stock controller rather sucks and the cartridge ports do like to really hold onto a cartridge, but those are relatively minor bumps in a product that delivered on all of its original promises).

If you don't have original cartridges or controllers, of course you're better off with regular emulation. This was never marketed as a replacement for that, though. It's unfortunate they don't officially support flash cartridges (or even ROMs), but from a business standpoint it's an understandable stance (of course, there is now an unofficial option to play ROMs, but that was inevitable).

It's one thing to say this product is not for you, it's another to call it junk or trash or anything else of that ilk when it's demonstrably not.

And no, just because they don't support system x, y, or z, doesn't make it junk or trash either. They can't support everything in one, and, like it or not, classic systems like the Atari 2600 tend to be a different class of collector. It's understandable that Hyperkin does not see it as a viable market to target, even though I too would have loved for them to provide support for platforms like the 2600.

Wow, this is getting a bit out of hand. :ponder:

Just because the system is for you, doesn't mean it is a product for most people. If you want to emulate (ie: not run on original hardware), you can use devices that have better compatibility than this device, are cheaper (or you already have one, like a PC), don't have the clutter and cost of buying used games, and have all the controllers you just mentioned via the power of USB. In the case of modded Xboxes, you have plenty of options for classic gaming controllers as well (I won't get into that unless you want me to...).

If you want original carts on original hardware, this isn't really the device for you either, and there is really only one choice. You have to want the flaws of running roms on iffy hardware with tons of bugs, while using real carts and controllers. Seems like a weird half-way that feels more of a compromise than it out to be.

Not counting the power base converter, as this doesn't come with it, if you go out and buy a Gameboy Advance SP, an NES, a SNES, and a cheap Genesis, it'll cost pretty much the same amount as this, and they come with their original controllers.

I personally am not trying to "call it junk or trash", but there is PLENTY to be critical of here. The controller it comes with complete junk, you have to buy (or own) controllers for the systems you don't own (if you're buying something like this you wouldn't own the real systems, after all...), you're emulating on iffy hardware to TONS of issues while having to deal with the collectable used game market which isn't cheap, and the system itself is very pricey.

I'm glad it fits people's wants and desires, like you, but this is NOT a system for most classic gamers. MOST will find either original hardware or pure emulation to be the best for their need, as each side has less compromises, depending on your tastes. The only positive, frankly, I can come up with is the high def output. But then both emulation and simple RGB mods take care of that. Once again making this feel like a compromise of each side instead of the positives of each side.

• Like 1

As much as I absolutely hate defending this system, calling this system "terrible" and "trash" due to a lack of a dedicated SMS port is silly. Hyperkin even delayed this console specifically to move the slots around, allowing for the Power Base Converter to be used.

Also, yes, this is an American product. It makes sense for them to prioritize NES over SMS, due to their primary market. At least they put in the effort to provide SMS support.

And like Is650 said No Atari support. Pre 4th gen non support I can understand (2nd and third gen together deserves their on Retron), but the Atari 7800 an American product, should have been included FIRST. But all these idiotic makers are knowing is NES, SNS and (sometimes) Genesis. HUGE FAIL of a product.I feel sorry for Americans letting this happen.

Edited by high voltage

Not counting the power base converter, as this doesn't come with it, if you go out and buy a Gameboy Advance SP, an NES, a SNES, and a cheap Genesis, it'll cost pretty much the same amount as this, and they come with their original controllers.

Doing that still doesn't do what the RetroN 5 does. Comparing the RetroN 5 to emulators and original consoles and saying it doesn't stack up just doesn't seem valid. Each option offers very different pluses and minuses. With original consoles, for instance, you get 100% compatibility, but then you either don't get TV out or a display option that is necessarily friendly with modern displays. That's where a RetroN 5 makes a nice alternative (again, using just the one example). Emulators don't use original cartridges or controllers without adapters. Etc.

I'm not saying this is a product for everyone. It's not. I don't believe anyone has said so either. Given the parameters of the product, though, and if someone is aligned with those parameters, then by all means there's nothing about it not to recommend. It is absolutely a niche product, but then so is just about everything else that's not a modern product. Taken for what it is, it's a great product, even though it may not be one for you and your needs.