IGNORED

BBasic Keyword List? (and Loaded4Bear)

kisrael

http://alienbill.com/loaded4bear/ is my new game -- in well under 48 hours!

(I posted more about it here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/234304-loaded4bear-2-player-deathmatch-for-48-hour-global-game-jam/ )

Question: is there a single, "simple" list of every batari Basic key word, and all the 2600 Registers? (or at least the non-obscure ones) I realized I kind of missed that as I was coding, even though Random Terrains document was invaluable.

• Like 1

I threw together a quick little script to suck them out of keywords.c and vcs.h, just now. The list is attached...

keywords.txt

...I have a certain obscure bB fixed-point number bug on my to-do list. When I get to that, I'll include this list and the script with the new version.

Due to the way the list will include some partial keywords. e.g. the "player#-#" statement is represented by "player1-", "player2-", etc.

It might also be useful to throw in the standard bB variable names, but that gets a bit dicey, since they'll vary depending on which kernel you've selected.

I'll leave it to RT if he wants to include the list, and in what format.

• Like 1

It's probably not super useful to other folks in this form, I think...

As I regain what I used to know from my asm and old batari Basic days, I might try to re-assemble it. I would organize into BASIC-y commands, "special" batari Basic variables (which might be dependent on which kernel is in use...), and then standard Stella Registers. I would also think about clearly marking some things as "generally useful" and others as "expert mode"- requiring a judgement call on my part, but as long as I don't skip it entirely I think it could be ok.

I really admire the work RT has put in on the command list. Sometimes there are times when I think "oh man, this doesn't belong here, it's too simple information" but then i realize he's probably doing a good job of NOT making assumptions that I am, about what the reader might not know, things I take "for granted". That said, the document is kind of overwhelming! Sometimes I wish it was broken up into different pages, though I kind of get the logic that keeps it in one.

Are you the official bB keeper now? Has Fred Quimby more or less retired?

It's probably not super useful to other folks in this form, I think...

Ah, I figured you wanted it as a refresher for what keywords to avoid. What you had in mind is infinitely more useful. :)

Are you the official bB keeper now? Has Fred Quimby more or less retired?

Not officially, no. I just stumbled into being its steward for a time.

Fred's been working on valuable stuff like the Harmony carts, so his attention has been elsewhere for a while now. I released what I thought was a one-time-only bB release to provide 64k support, rolled up some outstanding fixes, and offered it publicly to all. (and Fred, to take what he liked from it)

I didn't quite realize the demand that was out there, as requests for more fixes and features rolled in quite regularly. Fred himself even helped with a complicated if...then fix. I'll spare you the whole list of things, but if you're curious you can check out the CHANGES.txt in the bB directory.

At this point I've put this branch into a feature freeze, and I'm only fixing bugs, which have become few and far between. Its now all Fred's baby, when he's ready for more.

• Like 2

Here is my first try at putting a list together:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#keywords_const_registers

Let me know if it needs to be adjusted. You'll probably need to refresh the page so the page and stylesheet will reload.