IGNORED

How do you homebrewers publish games?

RiverRaider73

I've been lurking around AtariAge for a while and I've just been curious about the process 2600 homebrewers take in order to get their games published, burn onto cartridges, get cartridge art, boxes and manuals designed and printed, and actually get them selling on the AtariAge store or other outlets. Also, do you guys typically make your games in batari basic or actual assembly code? Just been wondering!

Edited by RiverRaider73

I was only able to finish Seaweed Assault with a lot of help from a lot of people. Brian Ostrowski did the art for the box, cartridge, and manual (and made the PDF manual for printing). CPUWIZ did the limited edition Seaweed Assault cartridges and Albert eventually put the game in the AtariAge store (with box and without box).

But Seaweed Assault doesn't really count as a homebrew since it was made with batari Basic. Real Atari 2600 homebrews are made using assembly language and are no larger than 4k. :D

For those who didn't click on the 4k link, the last paragraph was a joke. Well, except for the part about Seaweed Assault not counting as a homebrew. :D

• Like 3

Yea, usually it is a cooperative approach. Besides the developer, there is at least a designer involved. Then the actual production is done by AA or other vendors. So no need to worry about burning carts, printing labels. etc.

batari Basic has quite some technical limitations which usually show (with some experience you can spot most batari Basic games just from looking at a screenshot) in the final product. Only with assembler a developer has the control and flexibility.

By far the most games released by AA are done in assembler. But there are other vendors (e.g. Good Deal Games or Packrat Video Games) which offer a different line up of games (incl. some of my own).

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

There are a lot of options which add to the fun :)
You can write your games in BASIC, Assembly and even in C if you wish to use the ARM co-processor.

Al can put any game on cart but you'll most likely be limited to 4K vanilla carts if you choose to get an EPROM burner.

It's also possible to produce 4K and 6K games on Tape or CD for the CD add-on (SuperCharger).

• 2 weeks later...

But Seaweed Assault doesn't really count as a homebrew since it was made with batari Basic. Real Atari 2600 homebrews are made using assembly language and are no larger than 4k. :D

I've never really understood this mentality, I mean sure batari Basic games are not developed with tools available during the hay-day, but I mean a homebrew is a homebrew, and I've never really got why people are so interested in limiting the term to apply to games that *could* have been made back in the day. Sure, when I see a well-done 4k assembly game it amazes me what the system is capable of, but I'm equally amazed when further technology (such as larger carts, different languages, and even hardware upgrades like the atari vox) are continued to be developed for such an old system.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is authenticity in a homebrew game for me is a very wide term, and as long as I can slam the game in and have fun with it on my 2600, I don't really mind much about anything else :P

Edited by K.Michael
  • Like 2

Well, it is dirty cheating. It's like coming to a six-shooter showdown duel and pulling out a machine gun.

That's the duelist's perspective.

The spectators may think different. ;)

Haha this is pretty much exactly what I'm saying. The people who seem to be against it are against it because they are wanting/expecting a six shooter duel, but others like me and I suppose RiverRaider 73 don't feel that anyone has specified that it is in-fact a six-shooter duel, and are just happy if anyone turns up regardless of whether they have muskets or rayguns

Edited by K.Michael
  • Like 1

Assembly language could be seen as the stairs that people with working legs use. batari Basic could be seen as the ramp that people in wheelchairs use. Both are a way for people with different abilities to enter the same building. Most people walking up the stairs wouldn't think about running over and yelling at people in wheelchairs that they are cheating for using the ramp. If you need the ramp, use it and don't feel ashamed that you can't walk up the stairs.

• Like 4

I just don't have the time to dedicate to learning assembly from scratch, but I have enough experience with basic to pick up batari basic and make some little games, which is all I want to do. I'm never going to make The Greatest Game Ever or ever Push The System Beyond Its Limits, but I can make fun little games that I enjoy and maybe a few other people do as well, and that's good enough.

• Like 1

I just don't have the time to dedicate to learning assembly from scratch, but I have enough experience with basic to pick up batari basic and make some little games, which is all I want to do. I'm never going to make The Greatest Game Ever or ever Push The System Beyond Its Limits, but I can make fun little games that I enjoy and maybe a few other people do as well, and that's good enough.

I have the same issue, just a lack of time to dedicate to learning assembly. Also, I'm not a stellar programmer to begin with nor do I have that much of a technical mind. I never planned on being able to create an earth-shattering, groundbreaking game with batari basic, just to have some fun in my freetime. I do however have a ton of respect for the guys who can accomplish near miracles with assembly and only 4k. Also, I could hardly consider ways to push the system, such as DPC+ kernel for example, as being cheating, simply extremely creative

It seems like most people who are capable of learning assembly language will use assembly language.

You would be surprised how similar asm can be to bB code RT - look at the bB compiler output, it's calling the same bB Framework objects. Very high level and easier to learn than lower level asm.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, just the result counts. I don't give a sh*t if it's made with assembly, bb or whatever. As long as it runs on the 2600 and is a fun game, that's what I want. That's the consumer's point of view.

The programmer's point of view of course may be different. Some are more proud or feel more significant if they did it in asm, some may be more proud by doing it in bb, since they used less time or whatever. As long as there are still people developing new games, it's fine whatever they use.

I guess nowadays it's more important that something is still alive, than to discuss or war about tool or tech specs. Even Atari and C-64 users can be friends today.

• Like 2