IGNORED

Defend the Cities II

palmheads

Hi

Have seen a mini-memory game called "Defend the Cities II" advertised/reviewed in the 99ner magazine. Also the author of the game (Jerry Spacek) wrote an article in the same magazine explaining the process he took in converting the original game from XB to assembly & the mini-memory module.

Does anyone have this game? It seems to have completely disappeared! It would be shame, as there were stuff all mini-memory games developed.

cheers

Daryn

I used to have a disk of Mini-Memory games a long time ago--and I think that was on it. I'll look around to see if I still have it--but the title definitely pointed my mind to that old MM disk I had, so I might get lucky. Mini-Memory software was much more widely used/available in Europe back then, so there is a good chance it survived there (which is where I got my MM disk too).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I saved a few small BASIC programs to mine back when I was on the road and writing little things in console BASIC. Before I found Classic99, I would take my beat up TI console and a MiniMem cart around with me.

Then I got a tape deck and started carrying that. Then I got a laptop and got Classic99 and my suitcase got lighter. :)

So yes, but only smallish programs.

• Like 2

It'll save, but it's a battery backed RAM, I'd be wary how well it works today and not store any permanent data on it. Also, while it's formatted for use as a storage device, it's not available for use for loading and running assembly programs (it can still load to the 32k). Finally, it doesn't have the option of loading PROGRAM image files, although you could load a loader for that. ;)

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I found an old screenshot in the GameBase, so it should be there in. But many ZIPs with DSKs inside, hard to find at the moment.

Especially if the DSK is not named like "Defend Cities", as it is just 1 program on a DSK with many others, maybe.

But I will go on later.

schmitzi

post-41141-0-56133900-1434459195_thumb.png

post-41141-0-89534800-1434459259_thumb.png

Edited by schmitzi

Hi,

I found an old screenshot in the GameBase, so it should be there in. But many ZIPs with DSKs inside, hard to find at the moment.

Especially if the DSK is not named like "Defend Cities", as it is just 1 program on a DSK with many others, maybe.

But I will go on later.

schmitzi

Oh nice! Even good seeing some screenshots.

Sounds like this game (or at least the mini memory assembly language version) was the first commercial mini memory game (given 'Entrapment' took a while to see the light of day).

Its a pity more wasn't done with the mini memory. I guess the timing was kinda bad for it (like most things TI did)

cheers

Daryn

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Its actually a pretty slick game! Really enjoy it!

Its a bit like missile command & asteroids combined

Hopefully someone has the Mini Memory version archived somewhere. With it being assembly it is supposed to be way quicker and smoother.

cheers

Daryn

• 1 year later...

Taken from gamebase ... ;)

attachicon.gifdefend.dsk

Cartridge: Editor/Assembler, Load and run, File name: DSK1.DEFCITIES, Program name: DC

defcities.gif

RXB 2015E do the same thing and it shows all the names to start the EA 3 program and use arrow keys to find the name and Enter to run program.

• 7 months later...

Taken from gamebase ... ;)

attachicon.gifdefend.dsk

Cartridge: Editor/Assembler, Load and run, File name: DSK1.DEFCITIES, Program name: DC

defcities.gif

Hmmm this is actually really interesting...

I know for a fact that there are 2 versions of this game

• Defend the Cities - Extended Basic version
  • Defend the Cities II - Mini Memory/Assembly version

For the attached disk above, in js99'er I was able to turn off the 32K expansion, load up the Mini memory module and "Load and Run" using DSK1.DEFCITIES and DC.

I could also see opcodes in the 7d00 range that the Mini Memory (I believe) uses.

Does this mean that this version attached to the DSK could in fact the Defend the Cities II?

cheers

Daryn

Ok think I have the answer. It definitely is the mini memory version.

I actually used the mini memory TI-BASIC disassembler and put in a memory location near the end of the 7000-7FFF span of the mini-memory RAM.

So chose looking at TEXT statements between 7EEE-7FFF. See attached

post-40572-0-08652700-1504602057_thumb.png

Thats actually really cool!

cheers

Daryn