Photo

Sport Games hacks

11 replies to this topic

#1 Gernot OFFLINE  

Gernot

Star Raider

• 94 posts

Posted Tue Feb 3, 2015 1:46 PM

After i recognized that i made a slight error with my first version of "World Cup Soccer" (i forgot to edit the time for the second half),

i fixed this and edited a coulple of sport games in the same manner.

Soccer(s) are now 2x15 min,

Hockey(s) 3X10 min,

Basketball(s) 4x8 min

Football(s) 4x8min

the sport games have now a approx. total duaration of 30mins (1 Intellivision minute ~= 1/2 minute)

the zipfile contains the original files and the hacked files in .bin and .rom format,

two new Soccer icons, rom2bin.exe, bin2rom.exe and a tiny hexeditor.

Attached File  Sportgameshack.zip   3.1MB   269 downloads

soccer icons.png

Edited by Gernot, Tue Feb 3, 2015 1:47 PM.

#2 atarifan88 OFFLINE  

atarifan88

Dragonstomper

• 513 posts

Posted Thu Feb 5, 2015 1:36 PM

Thanks for doing this!  I could never play a whole sports game as it seemed to take too long and the score wasn't even close to a normal final score.  I know that Super NFL Football for the ECS is the first Intellivision sports title to allow you to change the time of each period/quarter.  That said, these hacks will come in handy for my use in emulation.  Any chance of taking Slap Shot Super Pro Hockey and putting the curved corners back in? ;)  Just a thought!

#3 mthompson OFFLINE  

mthompson

Dragonstomper

• 598 posts

Posted Thu Feb 5, 2015 2:00 PM

Thanks for posting these. Instead of reducing the number of minutes on the clock, would you be able to speed up the clock so that it runs faster, maybe by a factor of 2? Or can you let the user input the number of minutes for the game or period?

#4 BBWW OFFLINE  

BBWW

River Patroller

• 2,763 posts
  • If it is not fun move away slowly.

Posted Thu Feb 5, 2015 2:44 PM

IntelliHack!

#5 tacrec OFFLINE  

tacrec

Stargunner

• 1,187 posts

Posted Thu Feb 5, 2015 6:22 PM

This will be great for the next IFL season!   Next is to customize the player colors!

Edited by tacrec, Thu Feb 5, 2015 6:22 PM.

#6 Gernot OFFLINE  

Gernot

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 94 posts

Posted Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:46 PM

Intelli-hick-hack

Any chance of taking Slap Shot Super Pro Hockey and putting the curved corners back in?

i guess that exceeds my capabilities ;)

nstead of reducing the number of minutes on the clock, would you be able to speed up the clock so that it runs faster, maybe by a factor of 2? Or can you let the user input the number of minutes for the game or period?

dunno if speeding up is possible, couls bw there will be somewhere a multiplikator (the question is where), user input? this goes to far,

in general i can only hack variables such as duration, the problem is also to find the data, certain data like for the playing time is quite obvious .

the clock in many sport games is already almost double

Next is to customize the player colors!

that's a good idea and "sounds" like it would be possible but hard to find.

i assume the color indexed from 0x01 to 0x0F (16 colors), it could be difficult to find a single value.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

aproposito "clock"

a does anybnody know if a PAL Intellivision runs slightly slower as a NTSC?

o noticed a difference from the emulators to the real machine, as comparison i took "Skiing" (almost seconds in this game)

to sync the game in i.e. MESS i would have to reduce the emulation speed to 83% to synchronize the clocks.

skiing is extremely hard with slope 15 on a emulator compared to my console

but the problem is that anything else runs even at 83% speed (sound, ivoice)

this has let me conclude that the speed is a division of the grid frequency?

this would at least explain a possible difference.

50 / 60 = 0.83333333

Edited by Gernot, Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:00 PM.

#7 tacrec OFFLINE  

tacrec

Stargunner

• 1,187 posts

Posted Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:16 PM

I'm surprised the emulators don't have the capability to control the game speed.  I thought most emulators do.

#8 DZ-Jay OFFLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 9,791 posts
  • Triple-Stripe Mo' Bro

Posted Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:26 AM

I'm surprised the emulators don't have the capability to control the game speed.  I thought most emulators do.

jzIntv does.  Try the "-r" or "--ratecontrol" parameter.  Given a number, it will speed up emulation by that factor.  For instance, "-r2" will run twice as fast, and "-r3" will run thrice as fast.

#9 DZ-Jay OFFLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 9,791 posts
  • Triple-Stripe Mo' Bro

Posted Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:36 AM

Intelli-hick-hack

i guess that exceeds my capabilities ;)

dunno if speeding up is possible, couls bw there will be somewhere a multiplikator (the question is where), user input? this goes to far,

in general i can only hack variables such as duration, the problem is also to find the data, certain data like for the playing time is quite obvious .

the clock in many sport games is already almost double

that's a good idea and "sounds" like it would be possible but hard to find.

i assume the color indexed from 0x01 to 0x0F (16 colors), it could be difficult to find a single value.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

aproposito "clock"

a does anybnody know if a PAL Intellivision runs slightly slower as a NTSC?

o noticed a difference from the emulators to the real machine, as comparison i took "Skiing" (almost seconds in this game)

to sync the game in i.e. MESS i would have to reduce the emulation speed to 83% to synchronize the clocks.

skiing is extremely hard with slope 15 on a emulator compared to my console

but the problem is that anything else runs even at 83% speed (sound, ivoice)

this has let me conclude that the speed is a division of the grid frequency?

this would at least explain a possible difference.

50 / 60 = 0.83333333

The processors in the PAL and NTSC run at slightly different speeds, with PAL being a bit faster in order to synchronize the STIC output signal with the TV.  You are right that by consequence most games made predominantly for NTSC regions will appear to run slightly slower on PAL consoles.

The game speed may not be too noticeable or distracting, but what is distracting is that the sounds and music are also lowered in pitch, causing music particularly to sound off-key.  This is due to the sound chip (PSG) frequency counters being controlled by the CPU clock as well.

This applies to most games, even home-brews, though there are some that compensate for the speed difference by making the game program run at 50Hz on both consoles.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay, Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:38 AM.

#10 fdr4prez OFFLINE  

fdr4prez

Stargunner

• 1,224 posts

Posted Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:59 PM

In the zipped file in the first post there is Soccer2 and Super Soccer ROMs.

Are these complete games that were never released?  Or were they incomplete that someone completed?  Or just hacks from someone of NASL Soccer?

Does anyone have a list of changes between the original NASL Soccer, Soccer 2, and Super Soccer?

I've never played NASL Soccer, so I am curious how these three are different.

For opening them in jzintv, the title screen for Soccer2 only says Soccer on it.  And Soccer2 and Super Soccer appears to be basically the same game.

Also mthompson has previously made some boxes for these games, except for Soccer2 and Super Soccer, so I created some.

Attached Thumbnails

• Soccer2-box.jpg
  • Soccer2 (2x15min)-box.jpg
  • Super Soccer-box.jpg
  • Super Soccer (2x15min)-box.jpg

#11 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

Stargunner

• 1,667 posts

Posted Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:59 AM

They are versions of World Cup Soccer, likely preliminary versions.  One has sideline board advertising like Ford, Heinz57, and I think Hawaiian Punch.  Intellivisionlives describes how someone at Mattel had the idea that they could sell this advertising in their games.  http://www.intellivi...shtml#wc_soccer

#12 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

Stargunner

• 1,667 posts

Posted Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:21 AM

Here's a better link. http://www.intellivi...hor-Super-35930

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users