IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

I have attached an ATR disk image of MicroChess 2.0. ;) Confirmed OS-A only. ( On a real 800). Commands are simple. IQ=(1 through 8 ) Ex. IQ=8 is hardest. Move this coordinate to that coordinate. Ex. A2-A3 moves your leftmost pawn up 1 space. Has anyone figured out how to castle?

MICRO_CHESS2(OS_A).ATR

Edited by budburns

I wasn't aware they did microchess 2 on the kim... I was only vaguely aware of some hacks to it... 1.3 1.4 1.5...... hmmm

if the atr is an attempt to convert the tape to disk am I to presume...

I will find some time load it up and see if I can get it to castle..

most people aren't aware of the rules in

Edited by _The Doctor__

I wasn't aware they did microchess 2 on the kim... I was only vaguely aware of some hacks to it... 1.3 1.4 1.5...... hmmm

Your atr is and an attemp to convert the tape to disk am I to presume...

Nevermind, it's not version 2.0 on the KIM. There are 5 or 6 data blocks unused on the Atari tape. Must be a way to get it to load the data. Even if not, it seems like a solid chess program.

Edited by budburns

Castling may only be done if the king has never moved, the rook involved has never moved, the squares between the king and the rook involved are unoccupied, the king is not in check, and the king does not cross over or end on a square in which it would be in check.

In any event we should be able to castle

okay try this for sh*ts and giggles.. make sure nothing between unmoved king and rook, try 0-0 or 0-0-0 / O-O or O-O-O

that should work, I'll try it in a bit

further edit

to castle on the queen's side. Note that the letter O must be typed and not the numeral 0. Don't worry if the last O of your castling move doesn't appear on the screen; your Atari should still get the message. Because of memory constraints, Microchess may or may not check the legality of castling moves, so be careful to make them correctly. If you do make an error, you can use the 'asterisk' commands described below to correct it. If you are not sure of the rules for castling, consult a book on chess such as Chess Self- Teacher by Al Horowitz.

If you make an en passant capturing move, the Atari will recognize this and remove its own pawn. Your Atari may also make en passant captures from time to time. (However, if you make the equivalent of an en passant move using the 'asterisk' commands described below, this will not be considered an en passant situation, so the pawn will not be removed.)

Edited by _The Doctor__

Look om page 15 at the description of the display list bits, and you'll see just how little people knew about the hardware in early 1980. (They didn't even know the name of the ANTIC).

-Thom

• Like 2

MicroChess 2.0

Okay I was remembering correctly... to castle

it's O-O to castle King Side thought it's best to do it O--O (get the idea two spaces in between King and Rook)

it's O-O-O to castle Queen Side though it's best to do it O---O (get the idea three spaces between King and Rook)

alternatively OOOO King Side and OOOOO Queen Side so long as we begin and end with O it should go!

but you better have the aisle clear... if you do it with any piece in the way.... you'll loose a piece, more than likely your Rook... for doing the move illegally...

You can use the OS-A Disk & Tape translator to boot this title on the XE or whatever you like... works just fine!

OSADCTRN.xex

R or Break to restart the game

X to change colors

This title with manual for the Atari was online for sale recently and it was for cheap... some one has it.... Here's the Apple Manual that is for 2.0 mcrchs2apman.pdf

Edited by _The Doctor__

N to show board numbering

IQ= then the number 1 thru 8 one being stupid computer eight being smart computer this can be done before or during gameplay

P to pass the first move after you switch colors or during game play after the first move is made as any color

to set up a board with a game already in play, or a scenario use this

* after you move (ie. 2b-3b*) will keep the turn on your side. place all the pieces where you want then switch sides using x set the other colors pieces where you need them then resume play as usual by using moves with out the *

* used in game can make the computer skip his next move just as p in game lets you skip and give the computer another move

you can use
'asterisk' commands to capture your own pieces, or move the Atari's pieces as you wish. For example, suppose that you wanted to let the Atari play white, and also give it a piece advantage by removing your own Queen.

You would first type: X (followed by RETURN) to reverse the board.

Then you would type: E8-D8* to use your own king to 'capture' your queen.
(Because of the asterisk, the Atari will not make a reply move, so you can continue.)

Then you would type: D8-E8* to put your king back its original square,

and finally: P to pass the move to the computer and start your game. If you make a mistake your can't get a piece that's been taken back but you can use the * method to do illegal moves and fix a mistake...

hope this helps everyone out.... now go play some chess!

Edited by _The Doctor__

I have not been able to verify en passant validity or notation if it does not work you can simulate it using * moves

You must use an OS revision A translator to play this title, like the one I provided, people keep confusing the Translator Side A disk which is OS rev B !
please choose the right translator like the one in my above post ..... I know it can be confusing...

A NTSC 1979 0xc1b3bb02 CO12499A, CO14599A, CO12399B
A PAL 1979 0x72b3fed4 CO15199, CO15299, CO12399B

B NTSC 1981 0x0e86d61d CO12499B, CO14599B, 12399B
B PAL

C
XL/XE 16kB OS roms
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rev. System Date CRC-32 Part Nr(s)
~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
10 1200XL 10/26/1982 0xc5c11546 CO60616A, CO60617A
11 1200XL 12/23/1982 (?) CO60616B, CO60617B

there may be a missing 1200XL revision and rom set..
1 600XL 03/11/1983 0x643bcc98 CO62024
2 XL/XE 05/10/1983 0x1f9cd270 CO61598B
3 800XE 03/01/1985 0x29f133f7 C300717

there may be a missing XL rom set
4 XEGS 05/07/1987 0x1eaf4002 C101687

6402 rom not dumped 8k base rom

Edited by _The Doctor__

I have not been able to verify en passant validity or notation if it does not work you can simulate it using * moves

On the TRS-80 version you need to add EP to your coordinate move. Ex. C6-D7EP. I would test this but I forget exactly how En Passant works. icon_confused.gif Lol, Guess I'll read up on it later tonight.

in order to take a piece in passing, the next move after a turn where the starting move of the opponents pawn is 2 spaces instead of one and it lands alongside your pawn, you move as if the opponents pawn moved a single space, you move to that rank and file, taking the opponents pawn as you pass... en passant means in passing. so normally it's E4-D5EP or same deal next door D4E5EP :)

I could set up a bogus game and switch the computer to stupid IQ level and hope for the mistake to try en passant..... I'm not feeling an hour long game to find out :)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I have setup another ATR disk image to make the loading process for Micro Chess 2.0 to be as easy as possible for any XL/XE/GS user. Disable BASIC by holding OPTION when you boot. Just hit A to run the OS A translator (provided by The Doctor), then hit SELECT to reboot. Finally hit B to load the game itself. If you are using a 400/800 you MUST have an OS A operating system card installed. No two ways about it.

MicroChess2.0(Inc OSA Xlater).ATR

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There have been a number of posts recently about people trying to preserve their floppy disks. I thought it would be worth putting together a quick page about the different disk image formats and options available for doing so:

http://a8preservation.com/#/guides/formats

Hopefully this will prove helpful to people.

Edited by Farb
  • Like 3

There have been a number of posts recently about people trying to preserve their floppy disks. I thought it would be worth putting together a quick page about the different disk image formats and options available for doing so:

http://a8preservation.com/#/guides/formats

Hopefully this will prove helpful to people.

I want to reliably be able to duplicate Atari 8-bit disks using a flux level copier, retaining all protection, but what specifically is needed to do so? In a world of Kroflux, Supercard Pro, a number of protection retaining formats, there's still no clear answer to this question.

I have a Supercard Pro, am willing to buy a Kryoflux if needed instead. What drive model do I need to use to make my "dream" a reality? Even better than just being able to duplicate disks, which SHOULD be easily achievable with flux level copiers, I'd love to write back the preserved images. Any answers to these seemingly basic questions?

I agree that it SHOULD be simple. Unfortunately, things are not quite there yet.

Take a look at the "contributing" section of the a8preservation website:

http://a8preservation.com/#/about/contributing

It should answer a number of your questions. Let me know what is still unclear so I can update it accordingly.

I agree that it SHOULD be simple. Unfortunately, things are not quite there yet.

Take a look at the "contributing" section of the a8preservation website:

http://a8preservation.com/#/about/contributing

It should answer a number of your questions. Let me know what is still unclear so I can update it accordingly.

Thanks for that. So it seems Kryoflux would be better, no problem. Model numbers of drives known to work (for reads at least). Obscure settings for "perfect" dumps provided.

So the only remaining question is, how to write these images back to disk? Has anyone done this successfully, and with which drive model and what settings are used?