IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

side 0 raw 00.0.raw

side 1 raw 00.1.raw

interesting if the original drive encoded somewhere in the data what head it was using...

Usually not. Actually, most original Atari 8-bit flippies were recorded just as regular users did, flipping the disk. So in most cases both sides were recorded with the same head.

Edited by ijor

• 1 month later...

Seller in Germany closing his shop, selling off Atari 8-bit inventory with lists and photos provided in the marketplace forum, maybe some things needed for these preservation efforts?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/284417-shop-closure-atari-8-bit-software/?fbclid=IwAR1z51JCCvo4xN0FgFS2SGvboTfHXHtqOXxW05GAc8Q7sYV22XSRhwaWgNE

• Like 1

Seller in Germany closing his shop, selling off Atari 8-bit inventory with lists and photos provided in the marketplace forum, maybe some things needed for these preservation efforts?

Thanks for pointing this out. I contacted the seller since he is located about 2.5 hours from my home to see if he‘d let me dump some of it before he sells it.

• Like 4

These are all the disks where Kryoflux's .atr output is unreadable. No luck with a8rawconv to convert the .raw streams to a working .atr/.atx.

** Note: The Eternal Dagger disks are the same as I listed in a prior post. If you downloaded them already they're the same.

Repaired and re-skewed.

Panzer-Jagd (1983)(Avalon Hill)(US)BASIC.zip

Repaired

Clear for Action (1984)(Avalon Hill)(US)BASIC.zip

• Like 1

Excellent, Zarx! That completes successful emulator capable conversions of all my Atari floppy collection.

Official count:

Floppy 25/25

Cassette 8/10 ( Conflict 2500 and VC unable to convert to working .cas)

The raw .wav dumps are slightly larger than the 50mb max upload size here. Happy to upload all 10 .wavs if someone creates a shared drive on Google or similar.

-------------------------------------

Apple Collection

B-1 Nuclear Bomber

Baltic 1985

Battlegroup

Bomb Alley

Carriers at War

Close Assault

Computer Air Combat v1.1

Conflict 2500

Cosmic Balance, The

Darkhorn

Dnieper River Line

Eagles

Gemstone Healer

Geopolitique

Guadalcanal Campaign

Guns of Fort Defiance

Knights of the Desert

Midway Campaign

Napoleon's Campaigns 1813 & 1815

North Atlantic '86

North Atlantic Convoy Raider

Norway 1985

Operation Apocalypse

Operation Market Garden

Panzer Strike

President Elect

Pursuit of the Graf Spee

Shard of Spring

Sons of Liberty

Stocks & Bonds

Tanktics

Torpedo Fire

Typhoon of Steel

Under Fire!

War in the South Pacific

Warp Factor, The

Gato

Pete was able to dump the disks/cassettes to .raw/.wav successfully, but I was only able to convert to following to emulator working .dsk/,nib format with a8rawconv:

Battlegroup

Carriers at War

Gemstone Healer

Norway 1985

Panzer Strike

Sons of Liberty

Typhoon of Steel

Anyone have any Apple II skills and want to take a crack at these? Happy to upload!

Edited by mikic

Finally got some time to hit another small stack of disks I've had sitting here for ages. Some were really rough (Alligator Mix in particular was super-scratchy and sluffing oxide, unfortunately). I tried a few ATX conversions just to be sure I had the drive set up right, but didn't go through all so I can't vouch for overall quality.

Do we want more images of ANTIC disks? (there were a few more I didn't run this time)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0gpayt5ygwygkx/Atari%20Disk%20Images%2C%20Clay%20Cowgill%2C%20batch%207.zip?dl=0

Repaired

Alligator Mix (1984)(DLM)(US).zip

HomePak (1984)(Batteries Included)(CA).zip

Edited by Zarxx

F_NOT_OK - These dumbs are not running.

All MFM games are missing the ATX file. The dump I have written back to a floppy disk and then tested for function.

Battle Ships.zip

Added B Side.

D-Bug.zip

Requires NTSC, adjusted timing and re-dumped.

Fort Apocalypse.zip

Requires BASIC

Operation Blood.zip

Special Forces.zip

I can confirm these work when written back to disk but unable to create an ATX/ATR due to ED and

protection. Both need 64k+ and write protect off required for OB.

Silent Service - Bad disk/blank dump

T-34 - The Battle.zip

Created ATR which load fine as no protection. Seems to need 128k+ to run.

The Pharoah's Curse - Looks like an old Dos/data disk.

post-44915-0-92630900-1541521535.jpgpost-44915-0-33486700-1541521548.jpg

• Like 2

attachicon.gifBattle Ships.zip

Added B Side.

attachicon.gifD-Bug.zip

Requires NTSC, adjusted timing and re-dumped.

attachicon.gifFort Apocalypse.zip

Requires BASIC

attachicon.gifOperation Blood.zip

attachicon.gifSpecial Forces.zip

I can confirm these work when written back to disk but unable to create an ATX/ATR due to ED and

protection. Both need 64k+ and write protect off required for OB.

Silent Service - Bad disk/blank dump

attachicon.gifT-34 - The Battle.zip

Created ATR which load fine as no protection. Seems to need 128k+ to run.

The Pharoah's Curse - Looks like an old Dos/data disk.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPGattachicon.gifCapture 2.JPG

Zarxx,

great work! Thanks for the floppies analysis of my dumps.

idk, try again using a disk that never was formatted or anything before...

sometimes it's the place where scp starts reading and sometimes it can be the disk was formatted and the data of the format or old data messes up the stream being written. stuff isn't truely empty or devoid of data.

so give it another whirl, don't forget about clean drive heads either...

** Boulder Dash II has a slightly different protection, works from disk but not ATX.

Seems one sector on track 39 is slightly damaged. Probably it is "borderline" and reads ok after so many retries. It is precisely one of those dup sectors that Databyte protections retries ad infinitum. That might explains why it does work from disk. And that might also explain why it is damaged :)

I didn't perform a full comparison, but it seems (about) the same as the one on the Torrent. These Databyte releases sometimes have minor variations that are probably a consequence of the duplication process they used.

Edited by ijor
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

idk, try again using a disk that never was formatted or anything before...

sometimes it's the place where scp starts reading and sometimes it can be the disk was formatted and the data of the format or old data messes up the stream being written. stuff isn't truely empty or devoid of data.

so give it another whirl, don't forget about clean drive heads either...

Seems one sector on track 39 is slightly damaged. Probably it is "borderline" and reads ok after so many retries. It is precisely one of those dup sectors that Databyte protections retries ad infinitum. That might explains why it does work from disk. And that might also explain why it is damaged :)

I didn't perform a full comparison, but it seems (about) the same as the one on the Torrent. These Databyte releases sometimes have minor variations that are probably a consequence of the duplication process they used.

Tried dumping with different drives but no change, unfortunately still gets stuck on 704 with the ATX.

Couple of things.

Voodoo Castle looks like it's a deprotected copy as no missing/bad sectors on either side (compared to the other SAGA's). I've dumped the original and created another set with the map and bad sectors from The Count. If someone wants to check the code...

Stone of Sisyphus is just the A side, B was blank and just the one disk. I've added another B side for completion (seems unprotected).

Scans included.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1824n89sBx_35HwCJ6djW4KUsBSYNuLzS/view?usp=sharing

post-44915-0-85010700-1543274323.jpgpost-44915-0-58587700-1543274328.jpgpost-44915-0-56687400-1543274339.jpgpost-44915-0-08162600-1543274350.jpgpost-44915-0-70880800-1543274356.jpgpost-44915-0-31789900-1543274361.jpgpost-44915-0-53810600-1543274366.jpgpost-44915-0-24864900-1543274372.jpg

• Like 1

Hi.

On the US Ebay there is a seller (icbkr) that has 12 lots of original disks up for auction. There are no manuals or boxes, just the disks. There is nothing really rare, but some lots have some stuff where we don't have the disk version.

I just wanted to find out that there is no one else here planning to bid for the same items, so that we don't outbid each other on items that are being acquired for the same purpose by both parties.

I'm not interested in the physical possession of the disks, in fact, I would tell the seller to send them directly to Farb or another person that can create ATXs from them.

Auctions end some 33 hours after this post, so please let me know in advance if possible. Thanks.

Couple of things.

Voodoo Castle looks like it's a deprotected copy as no missing/bad sectors on either side (compared to the other SAGA's). I've dumped the original and created another set with the map and bad sectors from The Count. If someone wants to check the code...

Stone of Sisyphus is just the A side, B was blank and just the one disk. I've added another B side for completion (seems unprotected).

Scans included.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D1FyFao99I1t6hYoTmSMPSpSgl4_ZwS0/view?usp=sharing

Ehm.... You have posted 3 titles by Powersoft/Pro©Atari. Caveblaster, Ransack and Thetris. I think the boxed versions of these games differ (a bit) from the public ATR's which are available all over the internet. As these boxed versions are still commercially available, I am not sure if these dumps of the boxed versions can be made public... Maybe someone can ask Markus?

Ehm.... You have posted 3 titles by Powersoft/Pro©Atari. Caveblaster, Ransack and Thetris. I think the boxed versions of these games differ (a bit) from the public ATR's which are available all over the internet. As these boxed versions are still commercially available, I am not sure if these dumps of the boxed versions can be made public... Maybe someone can ask Markus?

Ah. Apologies. Removed and link updated.