Sears Video Arcade II

sears power

7 replies to this topic

#1 RnRFun OFFLINE  

RnRFun

Combat Commando

• 7 posts

Posted Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:05 PM

Hello! Been lurking here a bit and find the game inventory very handy, as well as the forums.

I am cleaning out my stuff and have a Sears Video Arcade II- does it have the same power specs as the 2600?

I also have a 5200 I need to test out.

I have an Atari branded power supply, labeled AC Adaper Model No. C017539. Google says it's for the Atari Modem- would this work on anything else?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help

Edited by RnRFun, Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:06 PM.

#2 yell0w_lantern OFFLINE  

yell0w_lantern

Dragonstomper

• 615 posts
  • Miki is Back!

Posted Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:17 PM

SVA2 10V AC 750mA

#3 RnRFun OFFLINE  

RnRFun

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:41 PM

Different than 2600, then. Thanks!

Edited by RnRFun, Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:45 PM.

#4 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Launch Edition

• 6,035 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:34 AM

IIRC an Odyssey 2 or NES power supply works fine with the Video Arcade II as well.

#5 Steamcade OFFLINE  

Steamcade

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Fri Mar 6, 2015 12:47 AM

IIRC an Odyssey 2 or NES power supply works fine with the Video Arcade II as well.

Oh god NO! Do NOT use an NES AC Adaptor!

The NES Wall wart supplies AC ONLY. The NES has a Bridge Rectifier in it to knock it to DC. Plugging this AC supply into a system that expects only DC (Sears VA 2), WILL cause problems and may even cause fire.

#6 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Launch Edition

• 6,035 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Fri Mar 6, 2015 11:07 AM

Oh god NO! Do NOT use an NES AC Adaptor!

The NES Wall wart supplies AC ONLY. The NES has a Bridge Rectifier in it to knock it to DC. Plugging this AC supply into a system that expects only DC (Sears VA 2), WILL cause problems and may even cause fire.

The VAII I've used with O2/NES power supplies begs to differ (since mine didn't come with a power supply either), but okay. :)  Better safe than sorry I guess.

#7 Cobra Commander OFFLINE  

Cobra Commander

River Patroller

• 3,093 posts

Posted Fri Mar 6, 2015 8:44 PM

^This^

The VA II absolutely uses an AC power supply. Yes the NES power supply works with the VA II just fine. 

Edited by Cobra Commander, Fri Mar 6, 2015 8:46 PM.

#8 mkiker2089 OFFLINE  

mkiker2089

Dragonstomper

• 960 posts

Posted Sun Mar 8, 2015 10:40 AM

I use a 9v DC power brick with mine. I was advised by people smarter than me that the AC bricks of the time were time bombs that waste power. Getting a modern switching DC brick saves money and the AC ones fail soon enough anyway. Since changing my system has worked fine.

Most aftermarket bricks for the NES are DC also, for the same reason. Yes, they are interchangeable.

The general rule is that most computer devices use DC inside since microchips almost always require that. This means the device at some point changes the AC to DC and also means that giving it DC sooner is safe. There may be exceptions but it's almost always correct with things like game consoles. I'm not sure why they gave them 9v AC bricks at all actually.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sears, power

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users