IGNORED

Intellivision Flashback Upgrade Service

Byte Knight

• 4 weeks later...

I did an upgrade for a guy and it turns out he does a blog called Waking Up After 40. He did both a review of the original Intellivision Flashback and a review / study of his upgraded Flashback. Check it out - he's an excellent writer.

If there is anything wrong with the stock Intellivision Flashback, this guy articulated it beautifully. I wish Mr. Robinson pays attention, because it could certainly explain the reasons why it may not have sold as good as he expected, and why we didn't see a new edition last year.

For instance, this passage of the review is spot on:

For me, this is truly the saddest part in the historical journey of this classic gaming system: It’s just not getting the help that it deserves. Myself and many other collectors, bloggers and classic gaming outlets have been excited about, even rooting for, the Intellivision Flashback. How will you bring new people to a classic system, with no history, no instructions, and poor presentation? How can you be late to your own party? How will anyone get past the deceptively simple graphics to see the gem that was the Intellivision, the rich history, the technical achievements, and that magic of that first play in the living room?

Here was the opportunity to not only make a case for the system that I and so many others loved, but to show it as something special; something that was ahead of its time, worthy of a revisit. The Intellivision Flashback could have given the Intellivision system renewed relevance in gaming history, but right now, it’s that movie that had promise, but you leave the theater lacking. In the end, I guess it’s nothing more than a toy that I bought from Toys R Us, but with a little planning and care, it didn’t have to be that way.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my Intellivision (and Colecovision) Flashbacks upgraded to the Ultimate through Byte Knight. And all I can say is... WOW!

This is FAR better than what the Flashback should have been. It's like the "Sharper Image" or "Brookstone" editions would have been.

Easy to use. Plug N Play.

The colors are perfect, sound is great and game play is smooth.

If you haven't already upgraded your Flashback to the Ultimate through Byte Knight, I encourage you to do so! You won't be disappointed!

(Now to convince myself that it's any Saturday in 1983, get a large pepperoni pizza, a 2 liter of Coke, plug in the Ultimate Intellivision and play the day away...)

• Like 2

Byte Knight,

I am interested in the upgrade service. Is there a way I can just buy the final product from you instead of buying the flash back and sending it to you?

Thanks,

Don

I've got an extra FB that I could upgrade and sell you. Do you need everything (console, controllers, power supply) or just the console itself?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Byte Knight,

I'm based in the UK and would really love one of the Ultimate FBs. Are you able to ship overseas? I have an original FB unit, but I'm guessing it would probably make more sense to buy a full Ultimate unit from you, rather than send mine over to you to modify.

Byte Knight,

I'm based in the UK and would really love one of the Ultimate FBs. Are you able to ship overseas? I have an original FB unit, but I'm guessing it would probably make more sense to buy a full Ultimate unit from you, rather than send mine over to you to modify.

Yes, it would be cheaper if I modded one of mine and sent it to you. PM sent.

Quick update - due to the increased cost of Raspberry Pi 2's, I'm now using RPi 3's and will include a beefed-up 2A power supply with the upgrades as the stock FB power supply is too wimpy for the RPi 3. The only other advantage of using the RPi 3's is that you can use a wireless keyboard with it, as it has Bluetooth built-in. The first post of this thread has been updated as well.

• Like 1

Can you say what kind of battery pack it would take to make this really portable? What if I wanted to take a UFB on the road or to a park, making it battery powered (I have a screen that is already mobile/portable). Would something like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012ZNMUL6/ work?

Quick update - due to the increased cost of Raspberry Pi 2's, I'm now using RPi 3's and will include a beefed-up 2A power supply with the upgrades as the stock FB power supply is too wimpy for the RPi 3. The only other advantage of using the RPi 3's is that you can use a wireless keyboard with it, as it has Bluetooth built-in. The first post of this thread has been updated as well.

Can you say what kind of battery pack it would take to make this really portable? What if I wanted to take a UFB on the road or to a park, making it battery powered (I have a screen that is already mobile/portable). Would something like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012ZNMUL6/ work?

I haven't tried playing a FB in the park yet, but it sounds like fun! The battery pack that you mentioned would probably give you a few hours of play time, although you'd have to get a cable like this one to power it from USB. A better portable option would probably be Intellivision Lives on the Nintendo DS.

Some clues here https://learn.adafruit.com/pigrrl-2/overview

I'm looking forward to hacking one up! It looks like you could use this interface board with the controller ports.

if you want to use the front ports you want two of these boards. I already have them and will be using them. These work great.

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/wusbmote_circuit/index.php

Or you could use this board from raphnet without the connectors.

that board wont do any good. For the pi to recognize the wii classic controller ports on the front of the nes mini (they arent nes ports) you have to use a "wii classic controller to usb" board. Edited by pimpmaul69

that board wont do any good. For the pi to recognize the wii classic controller ports on the front of the nes mini (they arent nes ports) you have to use a "wii classic controller to usb" board.

Ok, I didn't know the ports are for the "classic" wii controller. Not sure I agree with that decision - I think I'd rather have the ability to plug in the old-school NES controllers...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My unit arrived well and works fantastic. The image on the new TV is Cristal's clear and the Intv really shines in the 21st century.

Way to go Byte Knight! (I hope that Nintendo hires you to make their latest NES console) :)

We don't want him stuck making crappie new consoles when he does such a superb job making ultimate retro flashbacks!

• Like 1