IGNORED

New Easter Egg uncovered in Spiker

intvnut

Not the famous Atari console that takes cartridges.

Atari Stunt Cycle only played a handful of built-in games, similar to the pong games of the day. Back then I only heard 'console' used for game systems with interchangable games via cartridges and later CDs/etc. I suppose the term my have changed over time (especially with the Flashbacks).

My experience is the opposite. Back then, EVERYTHING was referred to as a "console" - it came from terminology used in the stereo component world. These days people tend to only use "console" to refer to cartridge/optical multigame systems.

Hell, I remember people talking about "console computers" back in the day. Because you just add it to your entertainment unit (ie: TV), same as a tape deck.

Not the famous Atari console that takes cartridges.

Atari Stunt Cycle only played a handful of built-in games, similar to the pong games of the day. Back then I only heard 'console' used for game systems with interchangable games via cartridges and later CDs/etc. I suppose the term my have changed over time (especially with the Flashbacks).

yes when you said not the console i thought it meant you didnt have the stunt cycle stand alone console i always thought it was cool but never got one.

My experience is the opposite. Back then, EVERYTHING was referred to as a "console" - it came from terminology used in the stereo component world. These days people tend to only use "console" to refer to cartridge/optical multigame systems.

Hell, I remember people talking about "console computers" back in the day. Because you just add it to your entertainment unit (ie: TV), same as a tape deck.

I remember in the late 1970s and early 1980s, at least based on my local vernacular and any pop-culture references that sipped in through movies and TV, a "console" was just the device where you controlled electronics. Most of the time, like you said, the "console" was the stereo central component, where most of the buttons for functional control surfaces were located.

By analogy, we also called an Atari VCS device a "console" as well (and the Intellivision and ColecoVision, etc.), since it was the central point where you controlled the computer.

The point is that if there were one or more components to a system--especially within your TV/Stereo/Gaming/Entertainment set--the one with all the knobs and switches with which you interacted was the "console." In that sense, it was synonymous with what we would call a "Control Panel" (in the physical sense, not in the MS Windows widget sense).

Of course, in my local vernacular this was actually "consola," since I grew up in Puerto Rico and we spoke mostly Spanish.

For some reason, this eventually turned into "the device in which you insert the game cartridge or disc."

Edited by DZ-Jay