IGNORED

Ball Knob Group Order

KevinMos3

Received mine today and man am I floored! From the personalized instruction sheet to the screws already set to the tape/plastic spacer mount to the high quality feel of the ball itself and lastly, to the inclusion of the pads in case you want to tweak the resistance a bit.

Kevin, thank you so much for the level of professionalism here and for making installation such a breeze. All at nary a profit, if at all! Hell of a job and thanks again for all your hard work and contributions!

• Like 1

Received mine today and man am I floored! From the personalized instruction sheet to the screws already set to the tape/plastic spacer mount to the high quality feel of the ball itself and lastly, to the inclusion of the pads in case you want to tweak the resistance a bit.

Kevin, thank you so much for the level of professionalism here and for making installation such a breeze. All at nary a profit, if at all! Hell of a job and thanks again for all your hard work and contributions!

I was coming here to say exactly this, but you already beat me to it. ;)

Seconded in every way! Just amazing.

I already screwed in the new knobs on my Flashback controllers and tried the stock short knob one on a couple games of Venture and Zaxxon. Much better. I'm going to experiment with the mounts on a controller this weekend to see how that helps.

BTW, I found that you will 'know' when the knobs are screwed all the way in....you can screw them until they don't turn easily anymore -- that is, you'd have to force it to screw it more. The 'give' on it is very good and you can tell when they are all the way in.

• Like 1

Got my Flashback ball knobs from Kevin today. This guy if a first class pro! The instructions were very helpful and informative He really went the extra mile to deliver quality goods at cost and isn't making any money off of all of his hard work and effort. You've really done a commendable service to everyone here. Bravo! Thank you very much!

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'm really glad you like the knobs. Your gratitude makes the effort worth it.

As promised, here are some during/after pics of installing the knobs. The picture quality is pretty poor, but they should still make it pretty clear on what to do.

First, the Coleco knobs:

• Remove the silver disc, remove the single screw, then just pull off the thumb nub.
  • Use pliers or something to grip the shaft while you screw on the new knob. You should wrap something around the shaft to prevent pliers from making teeth marks in the plastic. I've found that masking tape worked pretty good, but a cloth did not.

post-9364-0-61789000-1428635929_thumb.jpg post-9364-0-75236500-1428637388_thumb.jpg post-9364-0-85402000-1428635952_thumb.jpg

Note: this is completely reversible if you ever want to go back to the old nubs. Just unscrew the knob, press the old nub back on, replace screw and silver disc.

There are plenty of alternate uses for your knobs, as seen here:

The threads don't cut into the Amiga Powerstick, so I used hot glue for a non-permanent solution. However, you could use pretty much any type of glue you want, depending on how permanently you want it to be on there.

post-9364-0-09607900-1428635966_thumb.jpg

For Flashback knobs:

• First, pull the old thumb nub straight out. It will probably take some effort, but it will come straight out as seen below.
  • Next, carefully thread in the new knob.

post-9364-0-99592900-1428635978_thumb.jpg post-9364-0-61612200-1428635996_thumb.jpg

Note: This is also completely reversible if you ever want to go back to the original nubs. Just unscrew the knob and press the old nub back into place as seen below. (This is the same controller with 2 different nubs swapped out).

post-9364-0-67321100-1428636013_thumb.jpg post-9364-0-11042400-1428636024_thumb.jpg

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 5

Just gave my new Flashback ball-modded controllers a test drive and holy crap! These knobs make a world of difference on the FB! The difference is literally night and day! I just played my best game ever of Cosmic Avenger and Zaxxon. So much easier to maneuver and the control stick is so much more responsive than those POS nubs it came with. Between Kevin's ball knobs and Phil Boland's stunning decal I actually LOVE playing the Flashback now!

Just gave my new Flashback ball-modded controllers a test drive and holy crap! These knobs make a world of difference on the FB! The difference is literally night and day! I just played my best game ever of Cosmic Avenger and Zaxxon. So much easier to maneuver and the control stick is so much more responsive than those POS nubs it came with. Between Kevin's ball knobs and Phil Boland's stunning decal I actually LOVE playing the Flashback now!

thats why we all converted our colecovision ones. It really does turn the hated colecovision controller into an awesome controller.

Yeah but I never hated the Colecovision controller. I was so used to it in the 80's growing up it never bothered me. It wasn't until the FB controllers that I had a problem with the design because it wasn't exactly the same as the original CV controller. Now I don't have any issues with the FB controller at all. It's a considerable improvement.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm really glad everyone likes their knobs. Who has yet to receive them?

Just gave my new Flashback ball-modded controllers a test drive and holy crap! These knobs make a world of difference on the FB! The difference is literally night and day! I just played my best game ever of Cosmic Avenger and Zaxxon...

I'm really glad to hear that. I gave Frenzy another play over the weekend and almost topped 30,000 points again. I died off at just over 28,500 after making a few stupid mistakes in a row. That's what I love though... dying because of my own mistakes and not because I was fighting with the controller. :) I'm sure that I can get well over 30K, I just need to take the time to play (and of course not make those careless mistakes).

I'm just now finding out about this and wish to aquire a couple of these (maybe more actually). Will there be any more orders?

There have been a few people who've expressed interest in a second group order. As long as there are enough people and/or total number of knobs for the math to work, I'll gladly do another order. However, I probably will want to tack on a buck or two. It ended up being a lot more work than I expected and when I did this one, I only asked for reimbursement (I calculated it exact to the penny). I didn't make a single cent off of it and actually took a bit of loss to make it happen. However, there were two people who were kind enough to include a little extra and I'm very grateful for that. I was surprised, as I didn't ask for it or expect it -- they just did it out of generosity. Don't mistake this as complaining, though... I was very happy to do it and the point was to help everyone save money and get more enjoyment out of their Colecos and Flashbacks. :) As long as that goal was accomplished, it was worth the effort to me.

• Like 3

Yeah but I never hated the Colecovision controller. I was so used to it in the 80's growing up it never bothered me. It wasn't until the FB controllers that I had a problem with the design because it wasn't exactly the same as the original CV controller. Now I don't have any issues with the FB controller at all. It's a considerable improvement.

Actually unlike many people on here, I too never had a problem with the colecovision controller. However after playing with the ball knob, I can tell you it is more responsive and better to play with than the original. An example, I always found diagonal to be annoying in venture but it seemed a lot better with the ball knob.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

In-case someone is interested, I just ordered a bunch of ball knobs for the original colecovision controllers - Coleco knobs KD-1046 I only wanted a handful, but I ordered extras due to insane shipping charges. So if anybody wants some of the extras, they are $3 each + $2.50 shipping anywhere in the USA. Please add $0.50 for paypal fees, unless you want to use the friend/ family option.

First, the Coleco knobs:

• Remove the silver disc, remove the single screw, then just pull off the thumb nub.
  • Use pliers or something to grip the shaft while you screw on the new knob. You should wrap something around the shaft to prevent pliers from making teeth marks in the plastic. I've found that masking tape worked pretty good, but a cloth did not.

attachicon.gif IMAG_0017_.jpg attachicon.gif IMAG_0018_.jpg attachicon.gif IMAG_0019_.jpg

Note: this is completely reversible if you ever want to go back to the old nubs. Just unscrew the knob, press the old nub back on, replace screw and silver disc.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jeremy, if you do have a few extras, I would love to get a pair at least. 4 would be good if possible.

Otherwise, if there is still interest in a group order, I'm in for four.

Thanks!

In-case someone is interested, I just ordered a bunch of ball knobs for the original colecovision controllers - Coleco knobs KD-1046 I only wanted a handful, but I ordered extras due to insane shipping charges. So if anybody wants some of the extras, they are $3 each + $2.50 shipping anywhere in the USA. Please add $0.50 for paypal fees, unless you want to use the friend/ family option.