IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

I kept seeing the BOM rise like a bottle rocket only to explode with a loud report at the top of its travel.

Nice choice of wording. Clever "BOMB" pun with bill of materials. Even if it somehow miraculously gets funded, it has a high likelyhood of "bombing"... :lol:

Seriously though, this is an excellent writeup. I hope someday to own one of your future FPGA devices... :thumbsup:

Edited by stardust4ever

I'm guessing all that money Parrothead waved in front of Kevtris before taking it away would only come into play if they hit the $3,800,000 stretch goal. Of course, we don't know what FPGA goes into which tier, because they haven't told us. It sounded like even Kevtris himself was unsure.

Given that the FPGA won't be capable of emulating classic systems, it has to be something (considerably?) less than an EP2C20.

But what you forget Kevtris is that they have guys with decades of experience in the games industry. So they must know what they're doing - right? ;)

Yeah their HW guy knew more than me. He thought that videogame systems of the era outputted 480i/30fps video and that the RVGS was ONLY going to output 480i on all the interfaces (RGB, NTSC, S-vid, HDMI(!)). I had to tell 'em that videogame systems all outputted 240p/60fps. That's the point I knew the project was in deep stuff. :-/ I have only been making FPGA videogame systems for 11 years, so I don't have much experience I guess.

• Like 18

Kevtris I wish you and Mike could have paired up to make a system. Your genius, his salesmanship. It would have been nice.

@rob ocelot - Well you are right in that all signs point to scam, but I do feel it's not the case here. Just simply that Mike is looking to take the throne as King of Retroland and just needs money to get ball rolling on a system with games that he is totally in control of. It's a career move and moneymaking venture and hey, who among us (who don't already) wouldn't want to make a living with video games? He has Game Gavel already set up to sell the games, the Retro Magazine to promote it, and the desire to do all this. And I'm totally ok with that EXCEPT when it comes to coughing up a few hundred that I may never see again.

I do hope something good comes from this discussion as well. I'd like to see a cool cart-based console succeed.

I still think there should be a way to update games, if not directly then something similar to XBox 360/Live. But, it seems this must be the better route:

attachicon.giffb_bugs.PNG

That is a little too much.

Really they will have testers for every game on the platform?

They are really aiming to have at most 2 games a months or something or this is going to be unsustainable.

"developers will be instructed to give us bug free games" .... you know because instead developers naturally lean towards bug laden steaming piles of crap .... what planet do they come from?

EDIT:

glide path

32h 58.7K -> 1090h for goal -> 45days ....

... as they said they chose the worse time to start a campaign .... I wonder why? Is gotta be the fumes ...or utter incompetence.

Edited by phoenixdownita

They are really aiming to have at most 2 games a months or something or this is going to be unsustainable.

They've put as much thought into this as they have the design of the system, obviously.

Do they seriously think that while they're scrambling to produce consoles and games they're going to drop everything to chase down a bug in one game and issue a recall? Or that we're going to believe that they will?

"developers will be instructed to give us bug free games" .... you know because instead developers naturally lean towards bug laden steaming piles of crap .... what planet do they come from?

Further to that, the first few times they have to recall thousands of games, reprogram them, and send them back to already pissed consumers who can't play their game they will likely stop that practice. Are they going to pay shipping costs both ways for consumers too? Who is going to do the bulk of the reprogramming, the game testers they've hired? (way to make the shittiest grunt job in the industry even shittier!)

Maybe Retro could fix 7800 Impossible Mission and mail it to me as a test run...

Edited by rob_ocelot
  • Like 2

"developers will be instructed to give us bug free games"

I heard this in the real development world from a Director of development "Great job guys, next time, can do you do it without bugs?". It was not a joke.

That was just me and another guy, writing a SNES game. Which was a joke in the first place, they dropped that in our office and said: "We got 6 months!". We never even read the docs of the system, before the deadline was dropped. :lol:

• Like 1

I do hope something good comes from this discussion as well. I'd like to see a cool cart-based console succeed.

I too dream of a cart-based console but sincerely doubt the promise of 'new' retro games will be successful. I think Kevtis is on the right track; it needs to be developed with the emulation of classic systems in mind in order to sell units. If someone wants to develop a custom core for new game development, then all power to them, but I don't believe it'll be a significant drawcard. Personally it would hold no interest for me given the experience playing a new game on the console wouldn't differ from playing it on any other platform. And this is exactly where RetroVGS seems to have focused their efforts - yet another indie console.

I heard this in the real development world from a Director of development "Great job guys, next time, can do you do it without bugs?". It was not a joke.

That was just me and another guy, writing a SNES game. Which was a joke in the first place, they dropped that in our office and said: "We got 6 months!". We never even read the docs of the system, before the deadline was dropped. :lol:

Funny,

you know as humans we should have learnt by now that even when taking a crap we cannot really choose much of its shape, consistency, color or smell .... but if we get proper instructions all that is gonna change ... whatever.

Edited by phoenixdownita

"developers will be instructed to give us bug free games"

As simple as that, eh?

It's amazing, isn't it? The entire software industry has been wandering in the wilderness for years, somehow completely overlooking the brilliantly simple guiding principle that these guys, thanks no doubt to their decades of experience, have hit upon. Who needs ISO-9000 or Six Sigma now? Frederick Brooks, eat your heart out! If you want bug-free software, simply instruct the developers to give you bug-free software! Like, how the hell did everybody manage to miss that?! But I guess that's why they deserve to raise two million bucks on Indiegogo. Because they're professionals. Who have experience. Decades of experience.

Think of what else could be accomplished by extending that simple idea. If you want an awesome video game console, simply add the following language to your technical specification:

"The designers will be instructed to create a video game console that is totally awesome."

How could it fail???!!!

Seriously, I don't want to pile on, but this is one of the most mind-bendingly stupid things to have come out of this campaign. As someone pointed out in another thread, Nintendo has a massive QA operation in place, and they still miss bugs sometimes. How, exactly, do the three guys on the RVGS team plan to ensure that bugs in their games are indeed "rare occurrences"? What formal processes of software testing are they prepared to implement, and will they ensure that the bedroom indie coders they're relying on so heavily will consistently implement them as well? I may not be an expert with decades of experience, but even I know that if I were to have the nerve to ask people to give me millions of dollars, these are the kinds of details I would have made damn certain to straighten out long before I even began scripting my first sizzle video.

At a minimum, somebody needs to send them a link to Joel Spolsky's writings on software quality (see here and here for starters), and ask them how many of his recommended procedures they have already put into practice. Somebody should also ask if they have at least done an analysis of how much a full recall on a cartridge title will cost, and who would pay the shipping, since they insist on having no mechanism at all for delivering fixes.

Or maybe we're just not supposed to worry our pretty little heads about any of this. Because they're the experts. Who are professionals. With decades of experience.

:ponder:

• Like 4

Which one of you did this? LOL.

hZQpZ8P.jpg

I clicked the "Like" button and apparently have exceeded my daily quota. Amazed how fast this thread is moving along... ;-):thumbsup:

Funny,

you know as humans we should have learnt by now that even when taking a crap we cannot really choose much of its shape, consistency, color or smell .... but if we get proper instructions all that is gonna change ... whatever.

Because anyone who believes their crap don't stink is delusional. RetroVGS people included. :woozy:

tumblr_nebei9ko4O1qb0fyio1_500.png

Edited by stardust4ever

First post here. Neat forums, BTW... I'll be asking questions elsewhere about getting into Retro Gaming.

Just had to say thanks to all you guys who put up the solid info to stop my fool A$$ from plunking down $400 on this train wreck.

I'm really disappointed. If this system would have delivered, it would have been a great one stop shop for me to get my old carts out and maybe enjoy some cool new ones.

I hope they wake up and alter course before the iceberg hits. We'll see........

• Like 1

New update to their FB page. More mention about Apple, Atari, Sega, etc. More talk about how you can hand this console down to your children. Zero talk about the hardware specs or any actual, physical proof that this exists. In other words, more snake oil.

New update to their FB page. More mention about Apple, Atari, Sega, etc. More talk about how you can hand this console down to your children. Zero talk about the hardware specs or any actual, physical proof that this exists. In other words, more snake oil.

They're really starting to reek of desperation.

• Like 6