IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit concerned right now. It appears many of the games listed in the upcoming games section are already available on other platforms, meaning the RetroVGS will merely be hardware emulating say an SNES or GBA or whatever other console. I'm only going to really be interested in this sytem if there are actual homebrew games exclusive to it and not just a bunch of homebrew ports from other consoles that I already own.

http://www.retrovgs.com/games.html

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 2

I'm a bit concerned right now. It appears many of the games listed in the upcoming games section are already available on other platforms, meaning the RetroVGS will merely be hardware emulating say an SNES or GBA or whatever other console. I'm only going to really be interested in this sytem if there are actual homebrew games exclusive to it and not just a bunch of homebrew ports from other consoles that I already own.

http://www.retrovgs.com/games.html

I thought they were always clear it was just emulation unless I'm mistaken as I haven't followed this system very closely.

I can't wait to play these games on actual carts! Oh wait, all but one are already available today on carts for their native systems. And LOL that Super Noah's Ark 3D is one of their launch titles.

Edit

This is *really* shady from them:

Previously only available in limited quantities for the Super NES and currently selling in the $150 range at auction is Super 3D Noah's Ark. We are working with Piko Interactive to make a version available to RETRO VGS gamers for a much lower price

Yes, the game IS selling at auction for $150. The ORIGINAL release. The reissue from Piko is $35 on their website. I look forward to seeing the next round of "final" Kickstarter colors for this console.

I thought they were always clear it was just emulation unless I'm mistaken as I haven't followed this system very closely.

I can't wait to play these games on actual carts! Oh wait, all but one are already available today on carts for their native systems. And LOL that Super Noah's Ark 3D is one of their launch titles.

I was hoping they could do a bit more with the FPGA. Add tons more RAM, coprocessors, overclock to oblivion, arcade configurations that never existed before, etc... Basically release games running on custom FPGA cores instead of just duplicating existing consoles. Think outside the box.

However, I could see them making a mint if they can get SNK on board to reissue classic Neo Geo titles as well as create new games. Neo Geo hardware/games are so stupid expensive it's not even funny.

However, I could see them making a mint if they can get SNK on board to reissue classic Neo Geo titles as well as create new games. Neo Geo hardware/games are so stupid expensive it's not even funny.

The Neo Geo X already tried that and it's a complete POS. I remain skeptical about the RGVS, but I am interested to see where it goes. I think unless they have exclusives, there isn't much of a point. Collectors will always want original releases and casual gamers will just use flash carts for rare games. So they're going to have to offer something unique, other than new colors of a Jaguar case, to get a big audience.

The Neo Geo X already tried that and it's a complete POS. I remain skeptical about the RGVS, but I am interested to see where it goes. I think unless they have exclusives, there isn't much of a point. Collectors will always want original releases and casual gamers will just use flash carts for rare games. So they're going to have to offer something unique, other than new colors of a Jaguar case, to get a big audience.

Yeah, I read about that POS online. Honestly, I was thinking about getting the RVGS, but the more I think about it, just screams cheap, like reusing the Jag shells or a clone Wii-U classic controller. Most of the stuff so far is available on other consoles. I would actually be down for an FPGA multi-console, that accepts real original carts (including flash drives unlike the Retron5), but the proprietary format seems only to lock games to the platform. Aside from Tiny Knight, most of the other homebrew are just console ports with an FPGA core attached. And I believe Tiny Knight was apparently in development for SNES before it went to the RetroVGS.

If they can port real indie games like Retro City Rampage, Shovel Knight, or Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, I would totally jump on board with this console. And yes, before anyone asks, I'm aware those were ported using modern dev environs and there are limitations with FPGA/Retro tech. Just stating some examples that would be worth getting on cart.

Edited by stardust4ever

I was hoping they could do a bit more with the FPGA. Add tons more RAM, coprocessors, overclock to oblivion, arcade configurations that never existed before, etc... Basically release games running on custom FPGA cores instead of just duplicating existing consoles. Think outside the box.

It's all doable from a technical point of view. But I don't think their development team has the creative vision necessary. Not from what I've seen.

They should be using translucent violet as the official color. It can make a butt-ass ugly design look halfway decent.

It's all doable from a technical point of view. But I don't think their development team has the creative vision necessary. Not from what I've seen.

They should be using translucent violet as the official color. It can make a butt-ass ugly design look halfway decent.

Mmmm, butt-ass ugly. Must be nice to own one of those... :lolblue:

By the way, purp's mah fav color, dawg... :love:

Edited by stardust4ever

I think the Jaguar shell was a good choice. It's actually a nice looking console. I'm not interested in ports from older consoles or even old arcade games. I do want some of the great new indie games on cart. Shovel Knight, Axiom Verge, Towerfall, etc. would make this a must buy.

Right now Songbringer and Tiny Knight are the games I'm most interested in. If they have more releases like that, I'm all in!

We are talking with Wayforward and they are very interested in porting thier games to cart and love the idea behind RVGS. But they are unsure yet if they want to have a title announced along with the Kickstarter and may want to wait to see if the demand is there to support them coming on board.

This system is not going to be cheap. It will be as next gen as you can get in a cartridge based console. It will have plenty of capability to run even the biggest Retro indie titles coming to market now and in the future.

As far as exclusives, we can get all the exclusives we want if the demand and userbase makes it profitable for the devs. But we can't yet demand exclusives from the big players because we don't yet know what our userbase is going to be until after the Kickstarter campaign. If we sell tons of these during that campaign period we will go after exclusive triple A retro game sequels and have them ready to launch when the consoles start delivering in 2016.

We are also counting on developers to create their own cores so we will not only be relying on cores for existing systems. This is where it will get very interesting, seeing what developers do to push the hardware.

• Like 1

This system is not going to be cheap. It will be as next gen as you can get in a cartridge based console. It will have plenty of capability to run even the biggest Retro indie titles coming to market now and in the future.

If companies like Konami/Capcom/Compile would make '8-bit' style games for this console (2D Metal Gear, (SD) Snatcher sequel, Ys) I would really buy it. But I guess this is wishful thinking although I remember some big names mentioned during the announcement of this console.

Edited by roland p

We are also counting on developers to create their own cores so we will not only be relying on cores for existing systems. This is where it will get very interesting, seeing what developers do to push the hardware.

Honest question: Why would a developer want to create their own core and games for a niche system rather than developing an equivalent retro-style downloadable game for Playstation or Xbox with an audience orders of magnitude larger? How do you intend to convince developers to go back to paying for cart manufacturing with optical media costs far less and downloadable games have zero media cost?

• Like 5

if there is a reasonable assurance that you will make $20-50k developing for the Retro VGS by selling a "premium pricesd limited edition" cart version of your game, when you have already developed it for something like the app store (that has no such assurances), it makes sense. & there is unlikely the same barriers toward getting games on the Retro VGS as there are on the PSN or XBLA. This is especially true if the RVGS team is providing tools to facilitate the translations.

After thinking a little more about it I don't see it as that bad of an idea with conservative expectations (as they seem to have), considering the mania surrounding collecting these days (not because the idea is good, but because there are likely "collectors" that will buy into this). For some (perhaps a good deal of games on the platform) it'll be about getting more money for less sales of a game that will sell partially (or mostly) due to the gimmick that the platform offers.

that's just my thought without seeing how this actually plays out, but I guess time will tell.

Personally I just see it as a lot of talent squandered on an imposter that could've been directed toward developing retro gaming products for actual retro gaming systems :P

Edited by Willard
  • Like 2

Personally I just see it as a lot of talent squandered on an imposter that could've been directed toward developing retro gaming products for actual retro gaming systems :P

Ironically, most of the games currently in development for the retroVGS were already in development for another classic retro console. For instance, I already got Piko's Noah's Ark 3D reissue on the SNES; why do I want to buy it for RetroVGS?