IGNORED

Carrier Board for Atari Falcon

I cut the power connector from the Falcon and spliced all of the lines to the proper ones on a female ATX power connector. I plugged the Pico into this the same way that I plugged the male connector from a standard ATX power supply. I trust both power supplies to ground as they normally must. Did I miss something?

I cut the power connector from the Falcon and spliced all of the lines to the proper ones on a female ATX power connector. I plugged the Pico into this the same way that I plugged the male connector from a standard ATX power supply. I trust both power supplies to ground as they normally must. Did I miss something?

ATX power supplies need a wire grounded to start up. Look here: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-power-up-an-ATX-Power-Supply-without-a-PC/

ATX power supplies need a wire grounded to start up. Look here: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-power-up-an-ATX-Power-Supply-without-a-PC/

But I connected three of the ground pins from the ATX adapter to the three ground pins on the Falcon motherboard header. And remember, I have a full-sized ATX power supply that is working just fine with this. Does that all sound like I have done the needful?

But I connected three of the ground pins from the ATX adapter to the three ground pins on the Falcon motherboard header. And remember, I have a full-sized ATX power supply that is working just fine with this. Does that all sound like I have done the needful?

To start an ATX power supply, you have to short pin 14 to ground (pin 15, 16 and 17 are all grounds). Both of these pins are on the power supply side, has nothing to do with the falcon. Normally you connect a momentary contact switch across 14 and 15.

Hmm, that's odd then. Here's a picture of when I had a Pico hooked up to my STacy:

attachicon.gifPICO PS03.JPG

You can see that the black and green wires from the rocker switch go to those

pins on the Pico. It worked great like that here.

That is odd, I have a PicoPSU on my Falcon... works great.

That is odd, I have a PicoPSU on my Falcon... works great.

I think I've identified the problem. The external power block I was using to power the Pico wasn't pushing any 5V into the system. I have one now that should work, but it terminates into a molex drive connector. I'll cut it and splice it onto a round pin connector for the Pico.

I think I've identified the problem. The external power block I was using to power the Pico wasn't pushing any 5V into the system. I have one now that should work, but it terminates into a molex drive connector. I'll cut it and splice it onto a round pin connector for the Pico.

Pico's usually get fed +12v through the round connector. The other connectors are outputs.