IGNORED

HSC12 Round 3: Food Fight

I will vote for anything but the arcade conversations personally. [...] in this day [of] MAME can play a much closer approximation to the original than a port, I find the ports boring.

I tend to stay away from home ports too, except for the sake of curiosity. Sometimes, you'll get lucky and find a home version that is better than the arcade version. Food Fight is an overwhelming example of a game that is not better than the arcade original. Now we know. It's still neat to check into these games though, don't you think? Or do you feel it's just completely wasted time?

Round 4 POLL OPEN :)

Latest tables

1st McKong (p) 132,600 12pts
2nd Deteacher (n) 108,200 11pts * #

3rd snakeboy (n) 100,600 10pts

4th powersoft (p) 80,800 9pts
5th 8Bit 1337 (n) 75,500 9pts
6th firestorm (n) 55,600 8pts
7th therealbountybob (p) 49,400 8pts
8th Tickled_Pink (p) 39,500 7pts
9th akator (n) 39,300 7pts
10th krupkaj (p) 34,400 6pts
11th SHiNjide (p) 30,000 6pts
12th atariron82 (n) 29,800 5pts
13th Bunsen (p) 21,600 5pts
14th NIKON (p) 20,400 4pts
15th playermissile (n) 15,800 4pts
16th roadrunner (n) 10,400 3pts
17th adam242 (n) 9,800 2pts
18th jblenkle (n) 6,300 1pts

---------------------------------------------

Bonus points for this round (1pt each)

# Expert Bonus Challenge

* Top NTSC score

$ Highest level reached (ONLY if one person reaches it!)

will be added to the current standings at the end of the round.

Bonus Challenge Highest Level reached on Intermediate (top 3 shown)

1st Snakeboy (n) 15

1st Deteacher (n) 15
3rd McKong (p) 11

Bonus Challenge High Score on Expert

1st Deteacher (n) 73,000
2nd McKong (p) 69,300
3rd therealbountybob (p) 33,200

Round 4 POLL OPEN :)

In case I don't get to post again, my highest score thus far is:

43,900 (Level 9, Intermediate) - NTSC, Atari 130XE

Sorry, I just can't snap a picture fast enough. It seems that most people can't.

This game is pretty hard (and maybe not fair?). This score of mine is by far the highest I've gotten (I usually hover around 12-15K on level 4). Luck had a lot to do with this high-score game of mine. The chefs clobbered each other at the right time and there were a lot of near collisions by me that I was able to avoid my what looks like a couple of pixels. I'd like to feel like I earned the score, but I just don't. That's what this game is missing: a feeling of accomplishment. Too much has to do with the layout at the start of a level.

Practicing does pay off. I learned a neat new way to move around-- well, it's not "new." It's just a better strategy (for me), that all. Instead of going straight for the ice cream cone, I weave around the screen, basically loring the chefs away for anything that they can throw (which isn't easy). It really helped me out. When all, or most chefs are empty-handed, then I go for the cone! I was able to impress myself (my heart was going: THUD! THUD! THUD) when I reached:

81,000 points (Level 13, Intermediate) - NTSC, Atari 130XE

I never thought I'd see that level, nor anything above 50K. My next goal is a cool million...

Nah. Unless I get some time to play tomorrow, that's probably it for me. I meant to try expert mode, but I only remembered about it now.

Oh, yeah! Here's a neat trick (that can't help you get a score that counts for the contest): you can choose any level to start on (1-16, anyway). You know how you have to press down to return to level 1? Well, you can just press up and go up to 16. I didn't really use this, as playing higher levels is quite frustrating (and not fun), but it's built into the game. It's probably also in the manual, which I never was able to find for the Atari 8-Bit.

(I see that Blue Max and Alley Cat are tied right now. Isometric shooters are quite hard for me-- especially Blue Max. I hope that the feline manages to scatche its way to the top of the poll this round-- else it's gone for this season, right?)

• Like 1

Still time to VOTE in the Round 4 POLL EVERYONE

This Round closes tomorrow - Sunday 10am UK time - poll shortly afterwards :)

Sorry, I just can't snap a picture fast enough. It seems that most people can't.

Some programmers need a kick up the butt - you might just want to see your hi-score eh?!

(I see that Blue Max and Alley Cat are tied right now. Isometric shooters are quite hard for me-- especially Blue Max. I hope that the feline manages to scatche its way to the top of the poll this round-- else it's gone for this season, right?)

Runner up games through to the next poll (usually) this time it will roll forward one... most losing games will re-surface at some point in the season ;)

Still time to VOTE in the Round 4 POLL EVERYONE

This Round closes tomorrow - Sunday 10am UK time - poll shortly afterwards :)

Congratulations to the nearly awesome McKong, two wins in a row :thumbsup: Deteacher took runners up spot and Expert bonus point with SnakeBoy in 3rd; good to see some new challengers. Food Fight (Intermediate) was very tough but on the plus side other players have a chance of finishing higher in the table. I think the game could be more polished re the difficulty but it did still have that one more go feel about it.

Apologies to anyone with an 800 as I didn't know the file version of the game was XL/XE only - if you missed out please let me know.

I've just had a look at the NTSC version in Altirra. It's definitely slower. Not sure if this applies on original hardware. The reason the PAL version is faster may be because Altirra widens the playfield in PAL mode.

Interesting perhaps the game is more playable on NTSC (on intermediate) :)

Final tables (Revised)

2nd Deteacher (n) 108,200 11pts * #

3rd snakeboy (n) 100,600 10pts

4th atariron82 (n) 95,100 9pts
5th ballyalley (n) 81,000 9pts
6th powersoft (p) 80,800 9pts
7th 8Bit 1337 (n) 75,500 8pts
8th skosh (n) 73,600 8pts
9th firestorm (n) 55,600 8pts
10th therealbountybob (p) 49,400 7pts
11th Tickled_Pink (p) 39,500 7pts
12th akator (n) 39,300 7pts
13th krupkaj (p) 34,400 6pts
14th SHiNjide (p) 30,000 6pts
15th Bunsen (p) 21,600 6pts
16th NIKON (p) 20,400 5pts
17th Sleepy (p) 18,500 5pts
18th airsoftmodels (p) 17,500 4pts
19th JK40001 (p) 16,300 4pts
20th bluecat (p) 16,200 3pts
21st playermissile (n) 15,800 3pts
22nd roadrunner (n) 10,400 2pts
23rd adam242 (n) 9,800 2pts
24th jblenkle (n) 6,300 1pts

---------------------------------------------

Bonus points for this round (1pt each)

# Expert Bonus Challenge

* Top NTSC score

$ Highest level reached (ONLY if one person reaches it!)

will be added to the current standings at the end of the round.

Bonus Challenge Highest Level reached on Intermediate (top 3 shown)

1st Snakeboy (n) 15

1st Deteacher (n) 15
3rd McKong (p) 11

let me know anyone beat level 15 to claim the bonus point?

Bonus Challenge High Score on Expert

1st Deteacher (n) 73,000
2nd McKong (p) 69,300

3rd therealbountybob (p) 33,200

If you missed this round you can still post a late score

I'll update the current standings in the week. Up next Round 4 ;)

Edited by therealbountybob
Revised with late scores

[...]

10th ballyalley (n) 43,900 7pts <--- Not my final posted score.

Oops. It looks like you missed my final sore posting of 81,000 points (even). I posted this Saturday evening:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235746-hsc12-round-3-food-fight/page-3?do=findComment&comment=3197303

This might (I think) move me from 10'th place to 5'th place; it won't make much differnce in final points.

One last tip that worked for me. Never go in a straight line if you can avoid it. Weave... like a basket. Move in diagnals up and down or left and right. This seems to help avoid the thrown food. Everyone else probably learned this trick right away-- not me, I see an ice cream cone and I run for it. Just like in real life!

Adam

• Like 1

I'll get this started. First attempt: 61,000!

attachicon.giffood fight 61,000.png

I need to find my Stelladaptor. This is much harder to play with a keyboard.

EDIT: Score for Expert: 73,000!

attachicon.giffood fight expert 73,000.png

LOL! Did better on Expert than I did on Intermediate.

Welcome back, it's very good to see you.

I hope we both can have more time to play some games, I just realized I lost this round... :(

Let's see what round 4 brings. :)

• Like 1