IGNORED

Anyone selling Atari 400 video mods

mimo

The low_budget upgrade is one of the better ones for all the Atari 8-bits, it uses a video filter IC(FMS6400 or similar) to combine the Chroma and Luma signals to create s-video. The IC isolates the 2 source signals from each other, preventing each from affecting the other.

This is the same one mentioned in post #2.

This upgrade is more difficult on the 400/800 due to the aluminum shield, but it should be possible..

There are several threads with information about it, do a search for "low_budget video upgrade"

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2913590253511?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=291359025351&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Sorry to appear to be pedantic, but the Chroma and Luma/sync signals are combined for Composite output, not S-video.

S-video has separate Chroma and Luma, hence why it's superior to Composite output. Problem nowdays though is that modern tv's

no longer have s-video input, but generally do have composite. Best solution is to get a cheap s-video to vga adaptor and plug that into the tv or monitor.

Sorry to appear to be pedantic, but the Chroma and Luma/sync signals are combined for Composite output, not S-video.

S-video has separate Chroma and Luma, hence why it's superior to Composite output. Problem nowdays though is that modern tv's

no longer have s-video input, but generally do have composite. Best solution is to get a cheap s-video to vga adaptor and plug that into the tv or monitor.

I meant to say composite video, the FMS6400 has inputs for chroma/luma, and outputs for chroma/luma/composite. I don't have one, but have seen posts that the output is very good.

The low_budget upgrade

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2913590253511?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=291359025351&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

This is the one you want. I'm about to put one of these in a 400 I've upgraded to 48K.

1) Get an Atari compatible 5 pin DIN from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1JMCGG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This will allow you to use current Atari monitor cables. If you use the 5 pin DIN from Amazon above, you'll have to cut off the ears and use a dime as a template and dremel out the hole traced by the dime. Hot glue it from the inside and it looks like it came from the factory that way.

2) Get one of 8-bit Classics S-video/composite/sound cables

https://www.8bitclassics.com/Atari-800-XL-XE-5-Pin-DIN-S-Video-Cable.html

3) If your TV only has HDMI inputs, Amazon sells s-video to HDMI converters of $40

Edited by ACML

• 10 months later...

This is the one you want. I'm about to put one of these in a 400 I've upgraded to 48K.

1) Get an Atari compatible 5 pin DIN from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1JMCGG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This will allow you to use current Atari monitor cables. If you use the 5 pin DIN from Amazon above, you'll have to cut off the ears and use a dime as a template and dremel out the hole traced by the dime. Hot glue it from the inside and it looks like it came from the factory that way.

2) Get one of 8-bit Classics S-video/composite/sound cables

https://www.8bitclassics.com/Atari-800-XL-XE-5-Pin-DIN-S-Video-Cable.html

3) If your TV only has HDMI inputs, Amazon sells s-video to HDMI converters of $40

I just got an Atari 400, and I'd like to do this also.

Question - Is there a quality advantage to going with the 5-pin DIN vs instead of standard S-Video port + audio port?

I'm assuming there isn't, and mainly this is a convenience (one cable, and no need for audio splitter to get 2 channels).

Just making sure by asking :-)

Second - Did you follow a guide to do this to a 400? I just got a 400, and don't know where to begin.

(I have previously and successfully installed the ElectronicsSentimentalities boards in a 6-switch 2600, but that was me following instructions... I can solder very well, but understanding circuits isn't a strength of mine..)

Thanks!

I just got an Atari 400, and I'd like to do this also.

Question - Is there a quality advantage to going with the 5-pin DIN vs instead of standard S-Video port + audio port?

I'm assuming there isn't, and mainly this is a convenience (one cable, and no need for audio splitter to get 2 channels).

Just making sure by asking :-)

Second - Did you follow a guide to do this to a 400? I just got a 400, and don't know where to begin.

(I have previously and successfully installed the ElectronicsSentimentalities boards in a 6-switch 2600, but that was me following instructions... I can solder very well, but understanding circuits isn't a strength of mine..)

Thanks!

The 5 pin DIN is just for convenience. The 5200/400 board I recommended requires soldering to the OS board in the 400. You have to bend out a half dozen pin on the GTIA and solder a wire to them. Also, something many forget about with respect to audio. Most mods have you connect the audio line to the output of the POKEY, but most forget about cassette audio. That requires another capacitor in line with the cassette audio out.

The advantage of the 5-pin DIN is that it can have Chroma/Luma/Composite/Audio all available on a single port. In 1979 there was no standard connector for separated Chroma/Luma signals, I believe JVC introduced the use of the mini-DIN4 connector in 1987 at the same time as S-VHS VCRs.

• 2 weeks later...

...Also, something many forget about with respect to audio. Most mods have you connect the audio line to the output of the POKEY, but most forget about cassette audio. That requires another capacitor in line with the cassette audio out.

Like this?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229773-question-about-combining-400-pokey-cassette-audio-to-one-rca-jack/

(Just looking to know if there's a better reference; thanks)