IGNORED

Super mario world glitch...

Why do they even call it a "warp" anyway? Mario doesn't come out of a pipe near the end of the game, the game just glitches out and jumps to the machine code that displays the ending sequence. It's cool, but I wouldn't call this "beating the game".

• Like 2

It is "or something" ;) Nobody called it "beating the game". It's a speedrun (get to the end credits as fast as possible), it qualifies. Not as a 100% completion speedrun, tho. People use glitches, quirks, and whatever all over the place in speedruns. Impressive!

I think it is interesting that doing certain things has an effect on memory. Why would movements and actions "write" anything to memory and alter running code?

Yeah that's really weird. I hope someone posts a detailed explanation.

I think it is interesting that doing certain things has an effect on memory. Why would movements and actions "write" anything to memory and alter running code?

It doesn't actually alter running code. As you are probably aware, the running code is in the cartridge ROM (and is read-only) while RAM is used for in-game data. But for the machine's CPU, there's no difference between ROM and RAM where running machine code is concerned. So if you place valid machine instructions somewhere in RAM and tell the CPU to execute them, it will do just that, just like it can execute instructions in the cartridge ROM.

What they're doing in these videos is setting up a few bits in a specific area of the Super-NES's RAM in order to create a "pirate instruction" that will cause the game to execute the ending sequence in the cartridge ROM. To make the game execute this "pirate instruction" in RAM, they exploit a glitch that happens when they do those last few actions with Yoshi near the end. The glitch causes the CPU to jump erroneously to that specific area of RAM and execute whatever code is found there. Normally the game will just bug out, or crash and freeze, but by setting up that "pirate instruction" precisely, they're instructing the CPU to run the game's ending sequence.

Pretty neat, really. :)

• Like 1