IGNORED

SIO2SD make ATR?

gamer-stu

Is there any function within SIO2SD to create a blank ATR on the fly, which could then be formatted? I was playing Zork and needed to create a save game disk. It would have been nice to be able to instantly produce that disk. I was able to create a DOS 2.0 formatted ATR on my PC and save it to the SD, but I was hoping that there is a way to do this directly on the SIO2SD.

• 4 months later...

The 'Shift'+'K4' to "Empty" then format method certainly works but feels a little... inexact, especially when using one of the Atari DOS's. Is there any software on the Atari side to create a disk image of set sectors/density/sides and mount that to a specific "SIO2SD" drive?

SDX offers a tool called "S2S" which allows image-mounting and a couple of other functions from the command-line but not I think the actual creation of a new *.ATR. Moreover the *.MAN file is totally useless, only directing the reader to nebulous external documentation provided by the hardware maker - sadly non-existent documentation as far as I can see.

The 'Configurator' utility is another possible... I hate to say it but I truly cannot make head nor tails of this programme and its manual is in Polish. I had hoped to be able to use the google translator and then correct the idiom as necessary, but I'm totally at sea with this one.

Looking at the SIO commands it should be possible to create disk images of a set size from the Atari:

http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/wiki/SIOCommands_en

Indeed based on these I am going to have an attempt at writing my own SDX client for the device at some point and use it as a convenient way back in to ASM. At the moment though I feel a little lost!