IGNORED

AV Connecter

Wedsau

Hey all,

I was wondering if you could help me with a technical problem. I just got a Colecovision at a consignment store today and I'm having trouble getting it to display properly on my TV screen. The problem, I believe, has something to do with the AV cable that connects to the TV. Usually, it shows static, but when I jiggle it around, the Coleco log and title screen flash briefly across the screen. The AV cable I am using now(that came with the system) is actually an NES cable. Is this probabaly whats causng the problem? Would I be better off buying a cable specifically for the Coleco, or are there other more readily available replacements that would work just as well?

Thanks,

-Wedsau

By moving it around, can you move it slowly that you can get it to stay on? Never tried an NES RF on the CV, sounds possible, perhaps someone else can weigh in on this. Maybe a quick spray of electronics contact cleaner on the end of the cable and plug and unplug a few times might be a quick fix?

First post btw, welcome!

NO NES (also Genesis) RF cables are of no use with consoles popular before NES hit the market. Nes uses and autos switching RF box, older consoles and computers do not have the proper output to properly switch the signal over fully which is why you get a very grainy / staticy picture at best. You need the older type with manual switcher as found on Colecovision / 2600 etc OR a basic RF cable without the switcher at all but instead plugged into a RF to Coaxial adapter to plug in directly.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

Thanks guys.

I do have an Atari switchbox. I hooked it up with some spare DVD wires I had lying around, and now the image displays fine, but there is an awful buzzing sound in the background. You said a coaxial adapter might help?

Like these two?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-3-Y-Adapter/16829790

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CBS-Colecovision-Konsolen-Av-Kabel-Controller-Donkey-Kong-Netzteil-/331500119417?pt=DE_Kabel_Adapter&hash=item4d2ef26579

Thanks again.

You can do one of two things. http://www.atariage.com/howto/connect.html

1. Purchase one of these Female RCA to Male Coax connectors.

F-Type-Male-To-RCA-Jack-Adapter-922-2.jp

Then you'll also need an old school RF cable. Using a regular RCA/composite cable would work, but it looks like garbage, or in your case, will sound terrible. They're not made for RF signals.

a2600vidout.jpg

2. The other option is to purchase a Male RCA to Female Coax adapter. RadioShack has them, too.

F-Type-Female-To-RCA-Plug-Adapter-907-2.

This will allow you to hook a standard coaxial cable (available in Radioshack, Home Depot, Walmart, etc.) from your TV's RF port to the adapter. The adapter plugs into the system.

coaxial-cable-connectors.jpg

Most everyone does option 1 because they have an old RF cable with a system. Option 2 is probably better if you can use professional grade coax cables, which is why I always keep extra cabling that Fios leaves me!

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 1