IGNORED

Japanese import megadrive in US?

sm3

eBay has listings for the MegaDrive imported from Japan. I know Japan uses NTSC but can a US region game work in them? I've read about different cartridge shapes for different countries. I've ordered an EverDrive MD so I believe I can use any regions game on them, but of course the cartridge shell coming with it is normal US type.

Thanks.

If the Mega Drive has had the cartridge lock (Which is completely useless anyway) removed, then USA and PAL carts will fit and play in a Japanese Mega Drive just fine as long as the games aren't software region locked (99% aren't).

I've got a Japanese MD and it plays most of my PAL and USA games just fine.

Some later games have region locks and even when the ROM is on a flash cart, those locks will still be in effect. If you plan on playing a lot of US games, you are best off using a US system.

Yeah, probably a safe bet. I don't plan on playing every game in the catalog, was just looking for alternate channels for hardware.

• 2 weeks later...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but can't a US system play MegaDrive games with a Game Genie? The genie allows the cart to fit physically without modding the case, region locked games can work with a code entry, and games that aren't region locked can be played without a code. Couldn't the OP get a mega drive game genie, or equivalent, to play Genesis games on the mega drive? That being said. I do think a Genesis w/ a game genie is the better option. I would imagine the op' would have more US games than JP. Interesting topic though, I've often wanted to get JP versions of my consoles, but in the end have found adapters or mods to be the cost and space efficient option for me.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but can't a US system play MegaDrive games with a Game Genie? The genie allows the cart to fit physically without modding the case, region locked games can work with a code entry, and games that aren't region locked can be played without a code. Couldn't the OP get a mega drive game genie, or equivalent, to play Genesis games on the mega drive?

Technically yes, although the entry of specific codes for each individual game with a lock is a bit of a hassle. It should be noted that the Genesis 3 (with its oversized cartridge slot) is also a reasonably cheap and easy option for playing unlocked JP Mega Drive games...no Game Genie or cart slot modifications needed.

• 3 weeks later...