IGNORED

Question about vendor and Atari 800XL power supply

AAA177

Quite a while ago I had asked about the Atari 800XL power supply. A seller was recommended, Best Electronics CA I believe. I didn't buy the adapter at that time, but I would like to do so in the next few days.

Just want to double-check if this vendor is still okay to deal with. Also, do I just call up and give my debit card over the phone, or do I have to order on the site? I went to the page, and was a little confused as to what the exact ordering mechanism is (I thought I read somewhere that you have to order by email, which I would rather not do, I don't think I would want to email my number). Thank you again.

Quite a while ago I had asked about the Atari 800XL power supply. A seller was recommended, Best Electronics CA I believe. I didn't buy the adapter at that time, but I would like to do so in the next few days.

Just want to double-check if this vendor is still okay to deal with. Also, do I just call up and give my debit card over the phone, or do I have to order on the site? I went to the page, and was a little confused as to what the exact ordering mechanism is (I thought I read somewhere that you have to order by email, which I would rather not do, I don't think I would want to email my number). Thank you again.

Yes, he is still there and recommended. Best bet might be to email him with your question or you can call as well. For email, make sure you have a subject line that contains the word Atari or it will go to the spam folder.

The website is confusing, but if you email and ask your question, you'll get a response. He takes PayPal as payment as well.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/

bestelec@concentric.net

I strongly suggest that you search this forum for other individuals experiences. There are many topics. I personally prefer B&C, and by reading the posts you can come to your own conclusions. :)

BEST Electronics. is just fine -- but don't waste his time with a bunch of emails. Understand that both of these places are largely "one man bands" with very limited staff. They do not have time to waste. Decide what you want, ask if he has it in stock, order it, and you'll typically get it in a week or less (U.S.) I've been buying from BEST for nearly 30 years.

B&C is also fine. I've bought from B&C for many years. also.

If you want a regular XL power supply, then B&C will be fine, but if you want one of the original XL re-buildable PS (aka "Black Beauty" or "Beauty Queen"), then I believe that BEST is the only option. If you don't know the PS differences, then you need to research that before you buy.

At the BEST Home Page, click on "Site listing" (there you will see links to the various product lines). Scroll down the same page to "Order Information" and "Payment Information"

-Larry

BEST Electronics. is just fine -- but don't waste his time with a bunch of emails. Understand that both of these places are largely "one man bands" with very limited staff. They do not have time to waste. Decide what you want, ask if he has it in stock, order it, and you'll typically get it in a week or less (U.S.) I've been buying from BEST for nearly 30 years.

B&C is also fine. I've bought from B&C for many years. also.

If you want a regular XL power supply, then B&C will be fine, but if you want one of the original XL re-buildable PS (aka "Black Beauty" or "Beauty Queen"), then I believe that BEST is the only option. If you don't know the PS differences, then you need to research that before you buy.

At the BEST Home Page, click on "Site listing" (there you will see links to the various product lines). Scroll down the same page to "Order Information" and "Payment Information"

-Larry

^^^

This. Ditto.

Best and B&C are both fine.

• Like 1

Thanks for the very informative replies.

When you guys say "rebuildable/repiarable," does that mean I have to do something to the product when it comes in?

Also, is the eBay link referring to the one that does not have that high voltage problem? And why is one power supply preferred over another?

I have been calling Best Electronics but unfortunately the phone is never answered, and I never received a call back. I can understand that; if as Larry says you can't waste the person's time and he is very busy, he might not be able to call back (plus it would be long distance, so there is the cost). I don't want to leave my contact info/debit info over the phone or in an email, and the website is difficult to navigate (i.e., I'm not sure how to do the PayPal thing, if that will send my shipping info over), so I may try the eBay link. I don't have an eBay account, so I hope I can buy as a guest, but if not, I'll probably just register (I wish they had these on Amazon).

I will also as suggested search the forum and see what other people have said about these sellers and their experiences. Thanks again.

Well, it's repairable in case you need to have it done. The supply from either B&C or Best "should" be working when you get it. Both usually test the items before they ship.

The other power supplies are usually not rebuildable because they are filled with epoxy so you actually can't get to the internals.

The supply I linked was the #4 version (good one) not the ingot (which is #3).

As to why this is recommended, I suppose it's because of the reliability he has seen with them over the years as an Atari dealer. Also, this one has vents, which will add a bit of life to it since the heat buildup will not be as great as a completely sealed supply.

As far as Best goes, I would email him. My only suggestion is to not ask a bunch of questions and get a bunch of shipping quotes and never buy. It seems people who have done that in the past are no longer being sold to ;) He who has the gold, makes the rules.

This is all 30 year old electronics, there are no guarantees.

I have been calling Best Electronics but unfortunately the phone is never answered, and I never received a call back. I can understand that; if as Larry says you can't waste the person's time and he is very busy, he might not be able to call back (plus it would be long distance, so there is the cost). I don't want to leave my contact info/debit info over the phone or in an email, and the website is difficult to navigate (i.e., I'm not sure how to do the PayPal thing, if that will send my shipping info over), so I may try the eBay link. I don't have an eBay account, so I hope I can buy as a guest, but if not, I'll probably just register (I wish they had these on Amazon).

Really. I guess if he really wants to do business he'll decide to answer his phone or return a call.

Tip: It shouldn't be annoying to anyone to try to purchase from them. So don't settle for that.

That's why I prefer B&C.

I have been calling Best Electronics but unfortunately the phone is never answered, and I never received a call back....

I've *never* called him, so I can't speak to that. Best is a one man show. He could be sick, in the warehouse pulling orders, any number of things.

If you email him, he will usually reply back late that night. Once you have a shipping quote, he will send you the total to pay via PayPal, you then just send him the payment and he ships.

I would not bother with the website. The only thing it's really good for is looking to see if an item is still available.