IGNORED

lst and sym files

ZackAttack

I grabbed the source for princess rescue and built it locally so I could test some changes to how stella handles debugging banked carts. This has raised the following questions.

1. Why aren't the lst and sym files saved in the bin folder next to the bin file with lst and sym file extensions? Is there a setting to make this happen?

2. Is there a way to keep all the extra labels from being defined in the lst file? For example, the location at 1eba should only have the .MarioJump label instead of all 3 of these:

3487  1eba				   .
   3490  1eba				   .MarioJump
   3493  1eba				   .L0323		;  player0:

I really shouldn't comment 'cause I have very little idea what goes on (especially with visual bB)

lst is a switch in the tail of the line that invokes DASM

I assume sym would be similar

(I believe) the labels are part of the asm the bB generates, no way for DASM to distinguish

one from the other. Why would you want to suppress them?

(whether or not they're really necessary I don't know. I think bB throws stuff in there

just in case)

Here's what 2600bas.bat contains.

dasm "%~f1.asm" -I"%bB%"/includes -f3 -l"%~f1.list.txt" -s"%~f1.symbol.txt" -o"%~f1.bin" | bbfilter

Sure I could easily adjust it to use lst and sym extensions respectively, but that won't benefit anyone else besides me. Maybe I need to figure out who currently maintains bB and visual bB and ask them directly. It's surprising to me that this hasn't been brought up before. Could it be that no one is using the debugger for their bB programs, or am I just missing something?

1. Why aren't the lst and sym files saved in the bin folder next to the bin file with lst and sym file extensions? Is there a setting to make this happen?

Whatever files are spit out have always been with the .bas file. We have the option to clean up post compilation files:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html#setcleanup

But there isn't a check box that lets us move those files to the bin folder.

The creator of VbB (jwierer) has been very busy and so has batari (the creator of bB) and RevEng (who unofficially took over bB for a while to fix bugs and make improvements). Looks like we'll be mostly on our own for a while.

The creator of VbB (jwierer) has been very busy and so has batari (the creator of bB) and RevEng (who unofficially took over bB for a while to fix bugs and make improvements). Looks like we'll be mostly on our own for a while.

The change is easy to make. I just need to know that it's the right thing to do first. I think I'll take a poll to see if anyone even would benefit from such a change.