781 replies to this topic

#776 rkindig OFFLINE  

rkindig

Chopper Commander

• 188 posts

Posted Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:38 AM

Jay Balakrishnan, HESWare

http://ataripodcast....rishnan-hesware

Jay Balakrishnan bought his first Commodore PET in 1978, which spurred him to found Human Engineered Software (HES or HESWare) in 1980.  HESWare got its start on the Commodore PET but later moved into many other platforms.  They developed or sold software for C64, Vic-20, Atari 8-bit, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga, ZX Spectrum, Dragon, TI-99, DOS and others.  Many Llamasoft games, through an alliance with Jeff Minter, were published in the US by HESWare.  For the Atari 8-bit, they published games like Pastfinder, River Raid, Decathlon, Space Shuttle, Attack of the Mutant Camels, Gridrunner.

By early 1984 InfoWorld estimated that HES was tied with Broderbund as the world's tenth-largest microcomputer-software company and largest entertainment-software company.

In early 1984 they made their biggest splash when they acquired the services of Leonard Nimoy as spokesman.

This interview took place on November 20, 2016.

Edited by rkindig, Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:38 AM.

#777 rkindig OFFLINE  

rkindig

Chopper Commander

• 188 posts

Posted Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:41 PM

Sorry, the William Leslie link was wrong.  This is the correct one:

http://ataripodcast....itrend-universe

#778 Allan OFFLINE  

Allan

Quadrunner

• 5,965 posts

Posted Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:38 PM

Jay Balakrishnan, HESWare

http://ataripodcast....rishnan-hesware

Jay Balakrishnan bought his first Commodore PET in 1978, which spurred him to found Human Engineered Software (HES or HESWare) in 1980.  HESWare got its start on the Commodore PET but later moved into many other platforms.  They developed or sold software for C64, Vic-20, Atari 8-bit, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga, ZX Spectrum, Dragon, TI-99, DOS and others.  Many Llamasoft games, through an alliance with Jeff Minter, were published in the US by HESWare.  For the Atari 8-bit, they published games like Pastfinder, River Raid, Decathlon, Space Shuttle, Attack of the Mutant Camels, Gridrunner.

By early 1984 InfoWorld estimated that HES was tied with Broderbund as the world's tenth-largest microcomputer-software company and largest entertainment-software company.

In early 1984 they made their biggest splash when they acquired the services of Leonard Nimoy as spokesman.

This interview took place on November 20, 2016.

Hopefully Jay can scan or let you scan some of the stuff he was talking about. Great interview.

Allan

#779 rkindig OFFLINE  

rkindig

Chopper Commander

• 188 posts

Posted Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:50 AM

Hopefully Jay can scan or let you scan some of the stuff he was talking about. Great interview.

Allan

Actually, Allan, Jay did follow up and sent me scans of everything he had.  I posted all on the ANTIC Facebook page and am in the process of uploading them to archive.org.  Cool stuff!

#780 Savetz OFFLINE  

Savetz

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 787 posts

Posted Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:51 AM

George White, Founder of Koala Technologies

George White was the founder of Koala Technologies, the company that made the KoalaPad. KoalaPad was a touch tablet, versions were available for the Atari 8-bit computers, Commodore 64, Apple II, and the IBM PC. A version for the TRS-80 Color Computer was also available, sold as the TRS-80 Touch Pad.

This interview took place on May 20, 2017. If you want to see George and my chat, a video version of this interview is available, check the show notes at AtariPodcast.com for that link. I also interviewed KoalaPad inventor David Thornburg, whom we talk about in this interview. David's interview will be published next.

"I regret the fact that I wasn't more forceful in staying true to my original reason for starting the company which was to make mice."

Audio: http://ataripodcast....la-technologies

Video: 

#781 Savetz OFFLINE  

Savetz

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 787 posts

Posted Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:01 AM

David Thornburg, Koalapad inventor

David Thornburg invented the KoalaPad, a touch tablet that was available for the Atari 8-bit computers, Commodore 64, Apple II, and the IBM PC. A version for the TRS-80 Color Computer was also available, sold as the TRS-80 Touch Pad. He is also the author of The KoalaPad Book, which was published in 1984.

This interview took place on May 22, 2017. In it, we discuss George White, the founder of Koala Technologies, whom I previously interviewed.

Teaser quote: "You know how to take things apart. Good for you. But you've never built anything in your entire life. You have no idea what it's like to invent something that has generated livelihood for hundreds of people, and is making a difference in the lives of thousands of people."

Video: 

#782 Savetz OFFLINE  

Savetz

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 787 posts

Posted Yesterday, 9:09 AM

Dan Hale, EasyGrader

Dan Hale published one program for the Atari 8-bit computers: EasyGrader, which first appeared in the fall 1982 APX catalog. 

This interview took place on May 30, 2017.

And with that, interviews with half of the 159 Atari Program Exchange programmers have been published.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: podcasts, interviews

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users